GRRM was actually asked about him dying before finishing. Response = Hilarious

Good for George, I think that he will shock everyone and have the next book released before the next season.

If he has any prayer of finishing before the show does, he'll have to release it before or just after season 5. But then there's all the book tours and all that with a TWOW release. So maybe what's taking so long is that he's planning to write TWOW and the majority of ADOS before releasing TWOW.

Like it comes out of nowhere. Lol. I am not concerned, but it's not like another famous fantasy author didn't just up and die out of nowhere.

GRRM is taking 5 years to write each book now. Hell, I am 40 and if I had one book coming out in the next two years and 10 more to go after that I wouldn't be offended if someone asked what would happen if I died. Of course, he probably gets the question several hundred times, anything you get asked that often will annoy you.

He should only get offended if people want him to die.

A life is worth more than a book series. The question was disrespectful of the fact that he is more than just an author. He's a husband, a father, a friend, a colleague, a human being for crying out loud!

Absolutely, though his books are his legacy, and specifically ASOIAF is the measure by which he'll be remembered by the world. It seems a shame that he'd allow his story to be told by two TV producers first.

When you're celebrating some old ladies 91th birthday, it might be on everybody's mind how many other birthdays she'll have, but it's offensive to outright ask it all the same, especially: "Oh and by the way, how's your health? Because I meant to borrow lace-frame from you, and I am afraid you'll croak before I have time to. Where do you keep it, just in case you drop dead tomorrow?"

This is really unfair to the newspaper. HE WAS NOT ASKED ABOUT DYING.

"But also, some people are worried that it's not gonna be finished, from what I read on the... I mean, there is the possibility. I don't know if you want to talk about this."

"Well, I find this question pretty offensive, frankly. [...] So, 'Fuck you!' to those people."

This was the conversation. Watch the video before you write such bullshit.

Like it is not in everybody's mind

It might be in the back of everyone else's mind, but there are a million better ways to worry about the pace of writing than to ask the author, "Hey dude, you're old. What if you croak?"

That's the bottom line on this whole "WHEN IS TWOW COMING OUT?!?!?!?!" discussion: George writes super slowly, which sucks. But we can't start talking about him dying soon when there's no evidence that he has anything less than another two decades just to reach average male American life expectancy.

It might be in the back of everyone else's mind, but there are a million better ways to worry about the pace of writing than to ask the author, "Hey dude, you're old. What if you croak?"

Well, you would expect a man who invent the sentence "valar morghulis" would react a different way.

I feel like wondering if he'll finish the series is a legitimate concern for fans, it's exactly what happened with WoT and GRRM isn't a particularly fast writer (not that there's anything wrong with that - I'd rather the book be good than simply finished ;)) I appreciate that it's offensive to GRRM and so people should respect that, but I doubt that the people who wondered/questioned originally did it trying to be offensive.

And I'll throw in my own opinion here (though I'm sure it will offend some, and I'm sorry about that) but I don't think that the question itself is offensive. People probably just want to hear that he has a synopsis/ending penned down somewhere so that someone can continue it if something were to happen. People are invested in his story and adore it and I would think that most authors would want their fans to get to know the 'true' ending if something were to happen to them while writing it. Though I agree that it's probably not something he wants to think about, or should have to think about, I don't think that it's offensive for fans to wonder. In fact, I think, in some sense, it's a compliment? I don't know how to explain that entirely, but I think it's a compliment to his story and his ability as a writer that people are so worried about not getting to know the ending; that they're so invested in his story.

I'll then add that I don't know what people are saying, though, and that if they're talking about his health or making rude comments then I can appreciate why GRRM would be offended. To be honest, it's not something that's ever crossed my mind (what if GRRM dies and can't finish?), but I can appreciate why other people might worry (even though I don't know of any reason for him not to live for a good while longer) because it has happened before (see: Robert Jordan).

Archived