GRRM was actually asked about him dying before finishing. Response = Hilarious

This is really unfair to the newspaper. HE WAS NOT ASKED ABOUT DYING.

"But also, some people are worried that it's not gonna be finished, from what I read on the... I mean, there is the possibility. I don't know if you want to talk about this."

"Well, I find this question pretty offensive, frankly. [...] So, 'Fuck you!' to those people."

This was the conversation. Watch the video before you write such bullshit.

From the newspaper's own website:

"During an interview with Swiss daily newspaper Tages-Anzeiger, George R. R. Martin (65) expressed his anger about people who speculate about his health and death. «I find that question pretty offensive. So Fuck You to those people», said the bestselling author who still has to write two more books of his epic tale."

Also, you conveniently left out a bit of GRRM's response: "Well I find that question, you know, pretty offensive, frankly, when people start speculating about my death and my health. So, "Fuck you!" to those people."

You're right, the word "death" wasn't actually uttered in the question, but that was the subtext, as indicated by GRRM taking it that direction in the response. And the newspaper felt comfortable enough with that interpretation of their question to include an actual article specifically about his response to the question, here. I think the newspaper lost plausible deniability after that.

It might be in the back of everyone else's mind, but there are a million better ways to worry about the pace of writing than to ask the author, "Hey dude, you're old. What if you croak?"

Exactly. It's just plain rude, and usually is coupled with rude comments about his age and weight.

From the newspaper's own website:

"During an interview with Swiss daily newspaper Tages-Anzeiger, George R. R. Martin (65) expressed his anger about people who speculate about his health and death. «I find that question pretty offensive. So Fuck You to those people», said the bestselling author who still has to write two more books of his epic tale."

Also, you conveniently left out a bit of GRRM's response: "Well I find that question, you know, pretty offensive, frankly, when people start speculating about my death and my health. So, "Fuck you!" to those people."

You're right, the word "death" wasn't actually uttered in the question, but that was the subtext, as indicated by GRRM taking it that direction in the response. And the newspaper felt comfortable enough with that interpretation of their question to include an actual article specifically about his response to the question, here. I think the newspaper lost plausible deniability after that.

So the interviewer asked: "There are people speculating about you dying before finishing the series. Do you want to talk about that?"

GRRM answered: "No. Fuck You to those people."

I really don't think it was an impolite thing for the interviewer to ask and I don't think that GRRM took it that way. He even chuckled after his "Fuck You".

Exactly. It's just plain rude, and usually is coupled with rude comments about his age and weight.

How many people actually ask him that? So everything expressed in forums and elsewhere is taken as a comment or question to GRRM himself? That's odd.

Seriously, have the people who attend readings and conventions and places like that heard that question more than a dozen times or so? I have a hard time believing that many. So, in essence, he told fans like myself, who read the Wheel of Time and wondered about their favourite series finishing when...okay...maybe he is super healthy, you know, I don't know. I know that exercise about an hour per day and I still think I am probably in poor health due to my diet. I am kind of slightly above average weight/height and I wouldn't be overly shocked if I died of a heart attack at some point. So...really?

Our comments here and elsewhere are taken as personal insults or whatever to GRRM?

At this point I should state I have never asked the question because it is somewhat insensitive, but I have thought about it mostly because Robert Jordan died and these books don't seem to be coming out in a timely fashion.

If someone actually asked him that, they are assholes. If people are wondering whether we will get some screwed up TV ending before we get to read it, that's mostly what occupies my mind now.

How many people actually ask him that? So everything expressed in forums and elsewhere is taken as a comment or question to GRRM himself? That's odd.

No, not everything expressed in forums is a comment directly to GRRM. I mean people have actually asked him, in person or in emails, if he'll finish the books before he dies, and called him old and fat. I don't have a source at hand, sorry.

I wouldn't say it's a particularly offensive question, but it's in extremely bad taste.

I can guarantee that if he wasn't so overweight it wouldn't be a question that was banded around so much

It ought to be handled tactfully, but it's IMO a legit question. Aging politicians are asked about their age/health and the significance of their demise. Actors are questioned about the effect of age and health on their roles/careers. Similarly with athletes.

He is aging, and he is significantly overweight. Those probably will have an impact on the books which are the source of his fortune and fame. How is that verboten?

It ought to be handled tactfully, but it's IMO a legit question. Aging politicians are asked about their age/health and the significance of their demise. Actors are questioned about the effect of age and health on their roles/careers. Similarly with athletes.

He is aging, and he is significantly overweight. Those probably will have an impact on the books which are the source of his fortune and fame. How is that verboten?

Off-topic: I'm German and "verboten" is a german word. I know, that there are a lot of words which are used in english (kindergarten, doppelgänger, schadenfreude), is verboten also one of those words?

Off-topic: I'm German and "verboten" is a german word. I know, that there are a lot of words which are used in english (kindergarten, doppelgänger, schadenfreude), is verboten also one of those words?

Yes, and there are many more. Blitz, angst, fest, etc.

Like it is not in everybody's mind

It doesn't mean you ASK it or mention it to the man's face. His response was perfect. It was a dumb, inconsiderate question. It's rude. It's a person's life. It's his life. I'd much rather see him live to be 90+ years old and still be writing novels and short stories than to have him die young.

Even if he looks unhealthy, it doesn't mean he actually is. Even if he isn't healthy, it's none of our business. It's his life. His choices. He gets to live it the way he wants.

Yeah, sure. I get he's frustrated with the question, but it is a possibility, and people are just worried he's not taking the series he himeself created seriously enough anymore. Instead of flipping his fans off, he should at least try to reassure them a bit by giving at least a vague release date for the sixth book. Not even that much, he could simply tell us at what point he his with The Winds of Winter. It would take the press off his back, it would take the fanbase off his back...He could actually breath again. Answering like this only make the less reasonable fans even more angry at him for not being cooperative.

If he keeps going on like this people will eventually tire of his "Shut up and wait six more years"-type behaviour.

Archived