GRRM was actually asked about him dying before finishing. Response = Hilarious

Yeah, sure. I get he's frustrated with the question, but it is a possibility, and people are just worried he's not taking the series he himeself created seriously enough anymore. Instead of flipping his fans off, he should at least try to reassure them a bit by giving at least a vague release date for the sixth book. Not even that much, he could simply tell us at what point he his with The Winds of Winter. It would take the press off his back, it would take the fanbase off his back...He could actually breath again. Answering like this only make the less reasonable fans even more angry at him for not being cooperative.

If he keeps going on like this people will eventually tire of his "Shut up and wait six more years"-type behaviour.

Whenever he has done that in the past my understanding is his timeline has always been wildly over optimistic, which is why now he doesn't given info except cryptic references or very top line stuff.

But, I don't find the question to be out of line, I can see why it upsets him, but he's 65 and it takes him five or six years to write each book now...and he may have 3 not 2 more books to write...

How dare the interviewer ask the question that all of us are worried about.

"All of us?"

I think you need to speak for yourself on this one. If GRRM passes, certainly my main concern would be the impact on his friends and family. We'll still get the ending anyway: thanks to HBO we know now we'll get it in 3-4 years regardless of if GRRM releases TWoW and ADoS simultaneously next week or in 25 years when he's 90. The amount of energy people expend on moaning about an issue that is fast (well, fast by the standards of this series) becoming moot is quite remarkable.

To be frank nobody likes being called fat and old constantly. I think GRRM knows he is overweight and at an old age. He doesn't need to be reminded constantly as if he isn't aware of his own self. Being nagged isn't a nice feeling. It can kill the artistic/creation process.

On one hand, I think it is unpleasant to be called fat and old. GRRM is not stupid. He is aware of his age and health and maybe he is prepared just in case. I think he already has all of the story. Maybe it isn't edited yet, but he has the drafts for all of the books.

On the other hand, I think some people really worry about him. We had actors/singers die unexpectedly. For example: Heath Ledger died in his prime, at 27, before the release of The Dark Knight, and while filming The imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus ( his part was played by Jude Law, Johnny Depp and Colin Farrell as a tribute to him). Michael Jackson died at 50, before going on the comeback tour he had prepared for for months. Bruce Lee died at 32. Brandon Lee died at 28 after an accidental gunshot while filming The Crow. Some of these people were much younger and even in better shape/health than GRRM. IF it's something we learn from these examples is that life can screw you when you less expect it.

I get it why he is pissed. I would be too. The people that pressure him kind of insult his intelligence. A lot of people actually worry about his health and age. But there are a bunch who are rude about it..and sadly they are the ones that are loud and get noticed. I've seen people going at conventions wearing T-shirts with 'GRRM are you planning to finish the series until the fanbase grows old and dies' and some even meaner messages.

I know GRRM said he doesn't spend too much online to not get influenced by the fans. But I think he knows what it is said online about him. And frankly, some things are just nasty.

I think he has the right to live his life. And fans should respect that.

What's the website where we all go to discuss GRRM's humanity? I've honestly never been there. :(

I don't believe that website exists, but please remember that while George doesn't read this forum, he has friends and family that may have just read your post. And they were probably offended. If they saw you in person, one might feel inclined to punch you in the face.

But seriously? It may take a while for GRRM to write books and he may be old, but remember that he is a human being. If I was asked that question, I wouldn't have only said "FUCK YOU," but perhaps punched the interviewer in the gut! (Maybe that takes it a little too far)

I don't believe that website exists, but please remember that while George doesn't read this forum, he has friends and family that may have just read your post. And they were probably offended. If they saw you in person, one would probably punch you in the face hard enough to shatter your teeth to splinters.

But seriously? It may take a while for GRRM to write books and he may be old, but remember that he is a human being. If I was asked that question, I wouldn't have only said "FUCK YOU," but perhaps punched the interviewer in the gut! (Maybe that takes it a little too far)

Punching someone in the gut or the face is far more offensive and dangerous than simply asking after their health, no matter how rude the question is. Frankly, GRRM's family should be more concerned that you'd suggest them capable of such mindless, psychopathic behavior.

Punching someone in the gut or the face is far more offensive and dangerous than simply asking after their health, no matter how rude the question is. Frankly, GRRM's family should be more concerned that you'd suggest them capable of such mindless, psychopathic behavior.

Are you calling me a mindless psychopath now? Sorry, but I am imaginative and enjoy creating descriptive, worst-case scenario events to prove my point. The only mindless thing I can think of is valuing a person's creations more than a person's life. That is the only thing that could be interpreted as mindless. I was simply trying to use disturbing imagery to counter a disturbing and rude question. Sorry for being a mindless psychopath.

Whenever he has done that in the past my understanding is his timeline has always been wildly over optimistic, which is why now he doesn't given info except cryptic references or very top line stuff.

But, I don't find the question to be out of line, I can see why it upsets him, but he's 65 and it takes him five or six years to write each book now...and he may have 3 not 2 more books to write...

1)I know, and that's why this time around he could simply say where he got. Make people get to their own conclusions.

He could simply say: "Look, I wrote what I think it's like the 40% of the entire book, I'm writing X number of pages per month and I don't think I'll get any faster. Make your own conclusions"

That would certainly get the press, the fanbase and even the guys at HBO (because yeah, they know how the story ends but they certainly would rather record stuff based on actual source material) off of his back.

By answering annoyed, angrily even, he's only antagonizing his fans and making them not really sympathetic to his given reasons.

2)Yeah. Exactly what I think. He's getting old, he writes at a slow pace, he doesn't even focus on ASOIF only and he really isn't in his best physical form. It's only natural that people get to speculate on whether he'll actually finish his work.

Some people are rude about it, some are not. But what is he expecting? It's the internet, and it's the world.

Time to time, people managed to annoy even JK Rowling who is a really talented, beautiful woman (just an example but you get the idea).

Don't even get me started on the "possible" eighth book.

Btw, I'm not even that sympathetic to that "George Martin is not your bitch" stuff. He wrote a Storm of Swords in one year.

ONE YEAR. And that's his masterpiece. I can understand creativity can just decrease with passing of time, but c'mon...

He seems to have planned all of the future books plots already, hell we know it now thanks to HBO!

If he managed to write ASOS in one year of intensive work, I don't see why he can't write tWoW in three/four years of less intensive work. He really is relaxing a little too much considering he's leaving one major fictional work that the whole world seems to love hanging.

Are you calling me a mindless psychopath now? Sorry, but I am imaginative and enjoy creating descriptive, worst-case scenario events to prove my point. The only mindless thing I can think of is valuing a person's creations more than a person's life. That is the only thing that could be interpreted as mindless. I was simply trying to use disturbing imagery to counter a disturbing and rude question. Sorry for being a mindless psychopath.

Life ends. Creations last. It's all a matter of your priorities.

For being a mindless psychopath: punching someone because he asked you about your health is psychotic, yes.

Life ends. Creations last. It's all a matter of your priorities.

For being a mindless psychopath: punching someone because he asked you about your health is psychotic, yes.

You forgot about the mindless part of mindless psychopath. I'm going to leave this argument before we de-rail this thread.

Okay, I suppose punching someone in the face is a little extreme. How about just leaving the interview prematurely? Yesterday, I saw a hawk swoop down and grab a 3 foot long garter snake.

Some people are rude about it, some are not. But what is he expecting? It's the internet, and it's the world.

What is he expecting? For people who are supposed to be his fans to show him some respect in return for all the pleasure he's given them.

He doesn't owe you anything. He's perfectly entitled to not finish the books at all. It's depressing but if he did die in the next few years there would be a certain section of fans who would be angry with him for not writing quicker rather than sad for the fact he's passed away.

If GRRM does die before finishing the books then it will be very frustrating but it's just something we'll have to deal with. You can't hound an old man to spend his last years writing as fast as possible.

I understand both perspectives completely.

From the perspective of fans, it's an unknown and a fear... and stoked by slow pace and Robert Jordan.

From the perspective of the human GRRM, it's rude to be asked that and amounts to a certain lack of respect.

I understand both perspectives completely... but not the perspective of someone (other than his editor or publishing company or close confident) who broaches the subject with him personally. That's just a complete lack of decorum and an intrusion and an insult.

It's OK to wonder and even discuss it in some circles, but it shouldn't be discussed with him personally unless you're truly close to him and can read him well enough to know the right time and place.

What is he expecting? For people who are supposed to be his fans to show him some respect in return for all the pleasure he's given them.

He doesn't owe you anything. He's perfectly entitled to not finish the books at all. It's depressing but if he did die in the next few years there would be a certain section of fans who would be angry with him for not writing quicker rather than sad for the fact he's passed away.

If GRRM does die before finishing the books then it will be very frustrating but it's just something we'll have to deal with. You can't hound an old man to spend his last years writing as fast as possible.

He doesn't owe us anything? We pay to let him keep his very comfortable way of life. Doesn't that count for anything?

For the record, I never called you a mindless psychopath. Nor will I address anything you've said while under that mistaken assumption. I simply stated that physically attacking someone without real provocation is psychopathic behavior, and it is. Illegal too, in most cases.

As for leaving during an interview, that's perfectly fine. Respectable, even.

This .

I always see the lame excuse 'it's the internet.deal with it' for people being rude and even worse. GRRM does not owe you anything. He could simply decide not to finish the books. And it is his decision to make. You can't force a person to write faster. Art/literature takes time. If you want quality you will have to wait as long as it takes for him to finish the series. There is a thing called artblock or writer's block. You can't simply get out of it. It happens.

You paid in exchange for a book you enjoyed. So no not really.

I paid for three books I enjoyed and for two that left me really disappointed.

And I did not buy simply 5 books. I bought 5 books of a series of seven. And if an author sells books of a series and promises me to finish it, I think it is my right to demand the last books.

And I did not buy simply 5 books. I bought 5 books of a series of seven. And if an author sells books of a series and promises me to finish it, I think it is my right to demand the last books.

When did he promise you to finish it?

Good god. You have no right to demand anything from GRRM and the man made you no promises. Use your noodle.

Archived