Game of Thrones Leads Emmy Field

Westeros

Another thing, honestly, I adore Diana Rigg as The QoT, but I'm not certain there was material this past season that would be considered oh so Emmy worthy? :dunno: I love her, though, it's not a put down of her, just a comment on the material itself.

Disappointed by no Perdo Pascal, he should have been there in guest star nomination. Didnt find Diana Rigg do anything special. With all the nominations GoT got, doubt they will get many. Due to their love of giving Breaking Bad awards (think its an overrated show, but thats going off topic). Also off topic disappointed Kurt Sutter never even gets nomination for his work in SOA. But Peter surely got it in the bag, plus even though Neil Marschall did great work thought Alik Sakharov did great work with e6 and 7, particular best seen was Pedro and Peter's performances in the dungeon e7

Actually, he will. He said somewhere he'll be back for some scenes in Season 5. If he manages to portray the best-acted corpse ever, maybe he'll win! ^_^

As for Aaron Paul, I like him, but I don't see what's so Emmy-worthy about his stuff last season.

Last season was easily some of the best stuff Aaron Paul has ever done. His material in the finale alone is worth the emmy. Breaking Bad is certainly overrated, but it's still one of the best shows of the last few years, and far better than GoT. None of the actors come anywhere close in quality to Bryan Cranston (apart from some of the performances in season 1, particularly Sean Bean).

Now I've been a big supporter of Peter Dinklage and don't think any other cast member deserves an emmy over him, but someone needs to show me where in season 4 he earned an emmy, because I'm really not seeing it. He gave good performances in episodes 1, 2, 6 and 7, but the rest... I don't see it. Even in the finale he barely got to showcase his talent: he's facing execution but he doesn't even seem to have changed at all, still reacting with a cheerful-sounding "get on with it, you son of a whore".

Similarly I don't think anything Lena Headey did this year deserves an emmy.

Honest the best actor in the show is alfie, the way he played theon was great, but the way he has played reek is just unbelievable, he has embodied him in ways no other actor has embodied the book character. Hands down best performance of season 4, and just think the reek story really heats up when he gets to winterfell.

As good as episode 9 was this year, I think the academy is making up for neglecting Blackwater.

I don't. I honestly think that WotW was a better episode cinematically. People may argue about drama vs action, but that's preference. WotW was easily movie quality, though...Blackwater was not.

I don't. I honestly think that WotW was a better episode cinematically. People may argue about drama vs action, but that's preference. WotW was easily movie quality, though...Blackwater was not.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Everything that episode was pure class. After The Children, I even thought that Stannis' arrival fit better in Ep 10 and that TWotW ended on the perfect note.

Does anyone know why GOT has no leading actor or actress?

Not one can have more than one 'lead' actor or actress..I guess?. not sure who the lead actress would be.....

But see Peter would be the 'lead' in the series.

So if there is no lead, and every body is in a 'supporting' role who are they supporting?

(The other supports? That seems odd.)

Game of Thrones has no lead actor or actress because nobody submits as one (Sean Bean submitted as lead back in Season 1, and he's the only actor who could have been considered a true lead on the show). Even Peter Dinklage, who gets the most screentime and lines of anybody on the show (by a margin), missed 20% of the episodes in season 4, and in a number of other episodes got only 1-2 scenes. If you compare that to what Jon Hamm, Bryan Cranston, Matthew McConaughey or Woody Harrelson get, it's nothing.

A show can have as many leads or as few as it wants (McConaughey and Harrelson are both leads on True Detective, and both nominated, for instance). When the whole cast submits in the supporting categories, it's because it's an ensemble show. The (much smaller than GOT) cast of Modern Family does the same, as did the cast of Friends.

It will definitely be Paul vs. DInklage in that Emmy battle. Colonel Green pointed out in the other thread that one shouldn't necessarily expect the actor nominated for the show's final season to win for sentimental reasons, because Emmy voters don't necessarily vote that way, although they do sometimes: Friday Night Lights' first Emmy awards (in non-Creative categories) came after its final season (Best Actor and Outstanding Writing).

In the other thread I initially said that about Josh Charles, who has left The Good Wife, so this would be their last chance; but the Emmys rarely take the "last chance to honour this person" route if it's not somebody they already awarded before. Another example of that would be Steve Carrell, whom many were sure would win on his final try, but he lost to Jim Parsons.

But as you bring up, that also applies to Paul, and there's definitely more of a history of a goodbye award for people the Emmys have honoured in the past, assuming that their performances and their shows are perceived to have held up. Frasier's final season saw wins by Kelsey Grammer and David Hyde Pierce, both of whom had won several times before, but not for a number of years.

Game of Thrones has no lead actor or actress because nobody submits as one (Sean Bean submitted as lead back in Season 1, and he's the only actor who could have been considered a true lead on the show). Even Peter Dinklage, who gets the most screentime and lines of anybody on the show (by a margin), missed 20% of the episodes in season 4, and in a number of other episodes got only 1-2 scenes. If you compare that to what Jon Hamm, Bryan Cranston, Matthew McConaughey or Woody Harrelson get, it's nothing.

The TV Academy seems to have a different way of voting in nominees. Seems a studio or production company sends picks a list or an individual can nominate themselves? I wonder if other cast members can nominate other cast members? Then the whole Academy votes for a list? (I'm not going to look up the rules.)

Seems to me there must be some amiable agreement among the main cast of GOT that there is no lead? In film an actor or actress could have less screen time and be listed as 'principal' , the Oscars call it '...a leading role' , which may not be based in screen time. Interesting the term 'role' because the ATAS calls it 'role' too.. Yeah I can see where there are TV shows that have an actor in a leading role ... and just like film there could be several 'leading roles' in a show. For instance I would call Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson as leading 'roles' in True Detective, both nominated this year.

O well, seems to me GOT could have several 'leading roles' ... don't know how that's worked out?

Also off topic disappointed Kurt Sutter never even gets nomination for his work in SOA.

I don't like Sons, but, yeah, the Emmys are a joke. Most awards ceremonies are.

Neither Hannibal nor Rectify were recognized, while crapola like Downton Abbey came up with several nominations. Har!

It would be bizarre to nominate Dinklage as a "lead" actor, even though he has the most lines by far, since he misses at least one episode a season and even in a "good" episode for him he'll have maybe maybe 15 minutes, tops, and those "good" episodes are few and far between. Take 4x04, where all he had was that scene with Jaime which lasted, what, four minutes? Ditto for 4x03, where his only scenes were getting dragged off by the guards and a five-minute scene where he urged Pod to flee. According to the Game of Screentime thread, Tyrion has had 222 minutes of screentime over four seasons, and 56 minutes over Season 4. If your "lead" on average has maybe five or six minutes of screen time per episode on average, or about 10% of any given episode, how can he be considered a "lead" by any standard, especially in relation to roles like Jon Hamm's Don Draper and Bryan Cranston's Walter White in terms of dominating the narrative? An even more extreme example would be the two leads in True Detective, who despite a few supporting players pretty much had to carry the whole series themselves. It was almost the "anti-GOT" in that respect.

The closest thing GOT has had to a lead is not Tyrion but Ned in Season 1, whose screentime in that season easily eclipsed Tyrion's in any season by at least 30 minutes, and even in Season 1 he only averaged about 10 minutes per episode in which he appeared, or only 20% of any given episode.

It would be bizarre to nominate Dinklage as a "lead" actor, even though he has the most lines by far, since he misses at least one episode a season and even in a "good" episode for him he'll have maybe maybe 15 minutes, tops, and those "good" episodes are few and far between. Take 4x04, where all he had was that scene with Jaime which lasted, what, four minutes? Ditto for 4x03, where his only scenes were getting dragged off by the guards and a five-minute scene where he urged Pod to flee. According to the Game of Screentime thread, Tyrion has had 222 minutes of screentime over four seasons, and 56 minutes over Season 4. If your "lead" on average has maybe five or six minutes of screen time per episode on average, or about 10% of any given episode, how can he be considered a "lead" by any standard, especially in relation to roles like Jon Hamm's Don Draper and Bryan Cranston's Walter White in terms of dominating the narrative? An even more extreme example would be the two leads in True Detective, who despite a few supporting players pretty much had to carry the whole series themselves. It was almost the "anti-GOT" in that respect.

The closest thing GOT has had to a lead is not Tyrion but Ned in Season 1, whose screentime in that season easily eclipsed Tyrion's in any season by at least 30 minutes, and even in Season 1 he only averaged about 10 minutes per episode in which he appeared, or only 20% of any given episode.

I don't think 'time' need be the measure.

I don't think 'time' need be the measure.

It doesn't need to be, but it's a good one. But if you look at other measures, that doesn't really place Tyrion any differently; GOT has 7-10 different storylines going at a given moment, and Tyrion is involved in only one of them (albeit the single-biggest one).

Alfie mentioned it in an interview as a scene the showrunners had told him about, so we're getting it for sure. Yeah, he'll nail it and will bring a tear to many an eye. Think about how many people loved "my real father died in King's Landing" and multiply that by a thousand fold. I look forward to it and the rest of his Bolton arc.

Also there's sure to be a ton more Michael McElhatton. I doubt he'd get Emmy recognition...but we can always hope for him too.

Hopefully they keep Ciarin Hinds around to do the Bael stuff, even though the show hasn't really established him as being musical yet. McElhatton and him did a play together last Autumn, so it'd be cool to see them reunited.

Am I the only one that was frankly astonished by how many nominations such a bad season got?

Blackwater was a great episode and I love Neil Marshall but Watchers on the Wall was plain

ludicrous in parts. Having to invent things for Sam and Gilly to do (who shouldn't have been

there in the first place) ruined the pacing of the episode, the scythe was like something from

a Roadrunner cartoon,...I could go on and on. And if Peter got nominated for the beetle speech

......good Lord! And D & D are up for The Children which wasn't that bad of an episode but

which I mostly remember for the beautiful cinematography and the fact they whiffed on having

LS. And my vote for overlooked actor would go to The Misfits guy playing Ramsey Snow (I'm

sorry I can't remember how to spell his name). He's not much like the book Ramsey but he's

got this evil Hobbit thing down pat and the scene where he kneels down before Roose gave

me chills. And how can Diana Rigg be a guest-star? Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan

since childhood (couldn't be dragged out of the house when The Avengers were on) but

to me a guest star is someone who shows up once, maybe twice, like Bob Newhart on Big

Bang. It's like they're padding the nominations. And Hannibal gets nothing? I've never seen

a performance like Mads'. Or how about honoring Neil Marshall for Black Sails instead? I

had trouble sleeping after watching Penny Dreadful. And if Orphan wasn't quite as good

this season, Tatiana is as amazing as ever. And James Spader if only for reminding us

how great men's hats can be! And to bring it back to aGoT, why not Jack Gleeson? He

was great in his death scene and has worked so hard for so long making us hate

Joffrey so much! The kid deserves something.

Archived