Game of Thrones Leads Emmy Field

Westeros

I imagine it will get nominated every year right up till the end of its run, just like most big name shows once they establish themselves. It's HBO's flagship now, so obviously they campaign a lot for it. Whether or not it ever wins Best Drama Series, is much less certain. I doubt it will until maybe its last season when people get all gushy and sentimental about it.

While I feel Hannibal, for instance, should have got some nominations, if it lasts and becomes more popular it will get recognition in time. That tends to be the way of things. But it's not just a popularity contest, otherwise the Walking Dead would get nominated...hehehehe

Am I the only one that was frankly astonished by how many nominations such a bad season got?

It's the Emmys, they nominate mostly based on hype, ratings and past seasons. So no surprise at all.

It would be downright hilarious if GoT wins for best writing given how embarrassingly bad it's been for most of the season.

1. Am I the only one that was frankly astonished by how many nominations such a bad season got?

2. Blackwater was a great episode and I love Neil Marshall but Watchers on the Wall was plain ludicrous in parts. Having to invent things for Sam and Gilly to do (who shouldn't have been there in the first place) ruined the pacing of the episode, the scythe was like something from a Roadrunner cartoon,...I could go on and on.

3. And if Peter got nominated for the beetle speech ......good Lord! And D & D are up for The Children which wasn't that bad of an episode but which I mostly remember for the beautiful cinematography and the fact they whiffed on having LS.

4. And my vote for overlooked actor would go to The Misfits guy playing Ramsey Snow (I'm sorry I can't remember how to spell his name). He's not much like the book Ramsey but he's got this evil Hobbit thing down pat and the scene where he kneels down before Roose gave me chills. And how can Diana Rigg be a guest-star? Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan since childhood (couldn't be dragged out of the house when The Avengers were on) but to me a guest star is someone who shows up once, maybe twice, like Bob Newhart on Big Bang. It's like they're padding the nominations.

5. And Hannibal gets nothing? I've never seen a performance like Mads'. Or how about honoring Neil Marshall for Black Sails instead? I had trouble sleeping after watching Penny Dreadful.

6. And if Orphan wasn't quite as good this season, Tatiana is as amazing as ever. And James Spader if only for reminding us how great men's hats can be! And to bring it back to aGoT, why not Jack Gleeson? He was great in his death scene and has worked so hard for so long making us hate Joffrey so much! The kid deserves something.

I'm just going to nitpick on a few of your points:

1. No, but maybe, just maybe the answer should be yes. Season 4 was well made. It was better than both 2 and 3, IMO. Then again art is subjective, not absolute.

2. The Watchers on the Wall was better than Blackwater on several levels: cinematography, special effects, dialogue, acting, music, editing, sound. And the story was connected and coherent, everything flowed in that episode. It engaged viewers on an emotional level as well as entertainment/action. Blackwater lacked severely in some of those departments. I just remember Bronn and The Hound in a random brothel with random whores singing the Rains of Castamere. Honestly.

3. The beetle speech was a great addition IMO. Book readers got impatient because they just wanted to get to the blood and gore of the Mountain and the Red Viper. Honestly, people are always complaining about how rushed, unsubtle, and shallow the show is yet when given one of those profound moments they claim to seek they miss it completely. Also, Emmy voters shouldn't vote for writing based on whether or not there was LS in an episode. Most viewers didn't even miss her because some don't even know about her. Introducing her for the sake of introducing her would have served no purpose except maybe shock.

4. I have no opinion on the other shows you mention here, never watched them. Ramsay may be compelling but I've always felt if anyone in that Reek/Ramsay equation should be honoured it should be Alfie Allen. The guy gives me chills all the time, not just in one scene.

5. No opinion, haven't watched those.

6. Agree with you on Tatiana Maslany. But giving Joffery/Jack Gleeson an award just because he died beautifully and he performed well in previous seasons is the very reason people find the Emmys biased and laughable. Everyone in their last season of things should receive one then. Just...no. Should never be done.

I'm just going to nitpick on a few of your points:

1. No, but maybe, just maybe the answer should be yes. Season 4 was well made. It was better than both 2 and 3, IMO. Then again art is subjective, not absolute.

2. The Watchers on the Wall was better than Blackwater on several levels: cinematography, special effects, dialogue, acting, music, editing, sound. And the story was connected and coherent, everything flowed in that episode. It engaged viewers on an emotional level as well as entertainment/action. Blackwater lacked severely in some of those departments. I just remember Bronn and The Hound in a random brothel with random whores singing the Rains of Castamere. Honestly.

3. The beetle speech was a great addition IMO. Book readers got impatient because they just wanted to get to the blood and gore of the Mountain and the Red Viper. Honestly, people are always complaining about how rushed, unsubtle, and shallow the show is yet when given one of those profound moments they claim to seek they miss it completely. Also, Emmy voters shouldn't vote for writing based on whether or not there was LS in an episode. Most viewers didn't even miss her because some don't even know about her. Introducing her for the sake of introducing her would have served no purpose except maybe shock.

4. I have no opinion on the other shows you mention here, never watched them. Ramsay may be compelling but I've always felt if anyone in that Reek/Ramsay equation should be honoured it should be Alfie Allen. The guy gives me chills all the time, not just in one scene.

5. No opinion, haven't watched those.

6. Agree with you on Tatiana Maslany. But giving Joffery/Jack Gleeson an award just because he died beautifully and he performed well in previous seasons is the very reason people find the Emmys biased and laughable. Everyone in their last season of things should receive one then. Just...no. Should never be done.

I notice you didn't say anything about how dumb the scythe was and I just can't agree with you on Blackwater vs. Watchers

on the Wall. However, you argued your corner courteously and that is much appreciated. Let's agree to disagree. Black Sails

is a sort of prequel to Treasure Island. That may sound kind of cheesy but the show is good at portraying how complex and in

some ways socially radical pirate life was. They don't just growl "ARRRR" at each other. As for Hannibal, forget the movies.

This is is very stylish, surreal take on that character. It reminds me of American Horror Story in how everything, the music, the

dialogue, the look of the show, form this kind of seamless whole. And like American Horror Story, you're going to either love

it or hate it. Penny Dreadful is sort of like A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen of classic horror stories only that description

doesn't do it justice. Eve Green is amazing but all the cast is very good. You should give them a try if any of them sound like

your cup of tea.

I thought the scythe was pretty cool, like the giant with the gigantic bow and arrow :leaving:

Thanks for the recommendations, been looking for new series to watch, think I'll start with Hannibal. Since I loved A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen I'll try Penny Dreadful next

I notice you didn't say anything about how dumb the scythe was and I just can't agree with you on Blackwater vs. Watchers

on the Wall. However, you argued your corner courteously and that is much appreciated. Let's agree to disagree. Black Sails

is a sort of prequel to Treasure Island. That may sound kind of cheesy but the show is good at portraying how complex and in

some ways socially radical pirate life was. They don't just growl "ARRRR" at each other. As for Hannibal, forget the movies.

This is is very stylish, surreal take on that character. It reminds me of American Horror Story in how everything, the music, the

dialogue, the look of the show, form this kind of seamless whole. And like American Horror Story, you're going to either love

it or hate it. Penny Dreadful is sort of like A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen of classic horror stories only that description

doesn't do it justice. Eve Green is amazing but all the cast is very good. You should give them a try if any of them sound like

your cup of tea.

The scythe was awesome and a great weapon to have at the Wall.

And how can Diana Rigg be a guest-star? Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan since childhood (couldn't be dragged out of the house when The Avengers were on) but to me a guest star is someone who shows up once, maybe twice, like Bob Newhart on Big Bang.

Anyone who isn't a series regular is entitled to submit as a guest star.

I don't. I honestly think that WotW was a better episode cinematically. People may argue about drama vs action, but that's preference. WotW was easily movie quality, though...Blackwater was not.

Lol, since when is "movie quality" a compliment?

The #1 movie of the year is Transformers 4. Is that the kind of thing WotW is supposed to be able to stand up against, as "movie quality," that Blackwater can't?

All kinds of crap films, just like there are all kind of crap shows.

The only thing I can think of is that you mean a bunch of money was thrown away on the episode, which makes it closer to being like a movie than a show...

Lol, since when is "movie quality" a compliment?

The #1 movie of the year is Transformers 4. Is that the kind of thing WotW is supposed to be able to stand up against, as "movie quality," that Blackwater can't?

All kinds of crap films, just like there are all kind of crap shows.

The only thing I can think of is that you mean a bunch of money was thrown away on the episode, which makes it closer to being like a movie than a show...

Is there a reason to be hostile about it? I don't know what "Transformers 4" has to do with my statement- cherry pick any bad movie you want to, but that has nothing to do with my point. TWotW was a battle episode...making a television battle look film-quality is very, very hard to do, given time and budget constraints- especially since it was a nighttime battle that relied heavily on CGI. "Blackwater" doesn't come close to the cinematic scope of TWotW- it may have been a great episode, but the battle doesn't compare at all to what we saw in TWotW and the special effects were nowhere near as good. You know...things that movies have more money to spend on that tv shows usually don't, which is why movies are typically better looking than tv episodes.

As for throwing money away on the episode...well, to each his own. I loved it and it's easily one of my favorite episodes in the entire series.

I don't think 'time' need be the measure.

I don't think 'time' is always the measure, either, for The Oscars. IIRC, Anthony Hopkins win as Hannibal in Silence of The Lambs came with only about 16 minutes of screen time in that movie. I'm just working on old memory for this little tidbit, I'm not sure it's perfect, but it is close

Series and acting submissions for the show's Emmy nominees:

Drama Series:

DVD A - The Lion and the Rose & Breaker of Chains
DVD B - First of His Name & The Laws and Gods and Men
DVD C - The Watchers on the Wall & The Children

Supporting Actor

Peter Dinklage - The Laws of Gods and Men

Supporting Actress

Lena Headey - The Lion and the Rose

I think Lena should have submitted First of His Name personally, but I guess she thinks spectacle and the reaction to Joffrey's death (which is the only time I've found her acting underwhelming) are the way to go. Not that she was likely to win anyway.

I agree that Pedro Pascal ought to have been nominated, I thought he was the stand-out this season. Alfie Allen was great in the three episodes in which he appeared. I'm surprised at Diana and Lena being nominated, given that Diana left quite early on, and Lena, who was awesome in season #2, seemed almost invisible at times this season.

Series and acting submissions for the show's Emmy nominees:

Drama Series:

DVD A - The Lion and the Rose & Breaker of Chains

DVD B - First of His Name & The Laws and Gods and Men

DVD C - The Watchers on the Wall & The Children

Supporting Actor

Peter Dinklage - The Laws of Gods and Men

Supporting Actress

Lena Headey - The Lion and the Rose

I think Lena should have submitted First of His Name personally, but I guess she thinks spectacle and the reaction to Joffrey's death (which is the only time I've found her acting underwhelming) are the way to go. Not that she was likely to win anyway.

I wish they'd submitted episodes 2 and 6-10 instead. Mockingbird and The Mountain and the Viper were far stronger than Breaker of Cahins and First of His Name.

mockingbird was the best episode of the season imo. laws of gods and men being a close second. and lena should have submitted "the children" instead. her performance in her scenes with tywin and jaime in that episode was the strongest in this season. but i dont want her to win anyways so its ok

My first post!

Totally deserved nominations for both PD & LH. LH's nom came as a really pleasant surprise to me - I was hoping Pedro would score a nomination for his work because he was outstanding all season. But hey, the nominations lists can't be full of GoT Cast Members! lol. Diana Rigg's nomination was well deserved as well - I hope to see her back next season.

I don't think the show will win purely based on the fact that history goes against Fantasy shows. Or so people say. I hope GoT cleans up!

And to bring it back to aGoT, why not Jack Gleeson? He

was great in his death scene and has worked so hard for so long making us hate

Joffrey so much! The kid deserves something.

Eh, Jack Gleeson didn't just burn his acting career bridges, he pretty much nuked them. He has shunned publicity for the most part, made it abundantly clear that he has no further interest in acting, publicly railed against celebrity worship and Hollywood culture, subtly and not so subtly insulted the show and its fans, and so on. I can see why HBO would not bend over backwards to get him an Emmy, since they're not exactly going to get much of a return on that investment, and he would never submit his own name for consideration, so it's no great mystery why he was passed over.

Eh, Jack Gleeson didn't just burn his acting career bridges, he pretty much nuked them. He has shunned publicity for the most part, made it abundantly clear that he has no further interest in acting, publicly railed against celebrity worship and Hollywood culture, subtly and not so subtly insulted the show and its fans, and so on. I can see why HBO would not bend over backwards to get him an Emmy, since they're not exactly going to get much of a return on that investment, and he would never submit his own name for consideration, so it's no great mystery why he was passed over.

That's a shame, because he really nailed in Lion and the Rose.

And he might not being loved by Hollywood, but fans really love him. Not love to hate him: love him really.

Archived