Ser Scot A Ellison

My children's daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,308 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

Here's the link:

http://m.washingtonp...wards-nominees/

Game of Thrones and True Detective did well. Why is Dinklage always nominated as a "supporting" actor and not as a lead actor?

#2 K-26dp

K-26dp

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

Biggest GoT snub was Pedro Pascal not getting a nod in the Best Guest Actor in a Drama category.

#3 Mexal

Mexal

Cards are only half the battle

• Members
  • 10,711 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

Tatiana Maslany got fucked.

#4 Myrddin

Myrddin

Master of Stairway Wit

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

I can't believe she wasn't nominated. Again.

The second season wasn't as strong as the first, but she knocked it out of the park again. Maybe there weren't enough crying scenes for her to get nominated. Or over the top monologues. 

#5 Howdyphillip

Howdyphillip

100% meat like product

• Members
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

I can not believe that... Her performance was not only nomination worthy, it was by far the best in her category. 

#6 Mr Bell

Mr Bell

Yeezus Walks

• Members
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

Nice to see Lena get a nod from the Emmys.

Also, woo-hoo, Shameless got two nominations. Joan Cusack and William H. Macy are both fantastic, though of course they switch their category to comedy during the shows most dramatic season :D. I would be ecstatic if either won.

Also, any show that beats Modern Family or BBT counts as a win in my eyes.

#7 kairparavel

kairparavel

space-age polymer

• Members
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

How do you pick between Woody, Matthew and Bryan? Seriously. They all deserve it.

I don't watch Orphan Black so I can't speak to that ommission but I otherwise agree with most of the nods.

#8 Howdyphillip

Howdyphillip

100% meat like product

• Members
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

How do you pick between Woody, Matthew and Bryan? Seriously. They all deserve it.

You grudgingly pick Bryan as his performance was the most memorable of a lifetime... 

#9 Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Consul

• Members
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

Hanibal and Boardwalk are my favorite currently airing dramas. Shame they didn't get any acting noms or best drama noms. I hope they got directing and all the technical aspects at least cause they are the two best looking shows on TV.

Best drama actor is McConaughey for me.

Edited by Mark Antony, 10 July 2014 - 10:58 AM.

#10 Ser Scot A Ellison

Ser Scot A Ellison

My children's daddy

• Members
  • 40,308 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

Rust for the win!

#11 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

Boardwalk Empire? Never heard of it. 

As much as I love Bryan Cranston, I honestly hope Matthew McConaughey gets the Best Actor nod. If he doesn't, it'll be just another case of hype-over-quality, which the Emmys are famous for. 

And I also want Billy Bob Thornton to win Best Actor in a Miniseries, cause he blew me away in Fargo. His acting was up to par with Matthew's, I'd say. And I guess if not him, I'd be okay if Martin Freeman got that award, both of them were great. 

Those are really the only two categories I care about this year. 

#12 Fez

Fez

the sadness

• Members
  • 8,049 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

Why is Dinklage always nominated as a "supporting" actor and not as a lead actor?

Because the networks are who submit candidates for consideration to be nominees, and he's more likely to win the supporting award. Also, even though he's the closest GoT has to a lead, his percentage of the show's screen time pales next to other show's leads.

Outside of GoT, I really hope this is the year Amy Poehler finally gets an Emmy, but its almost certainly going to JLD again (not that she isn't worthy as well of course). 

The Lead Actor for a Drama series is just brutal, or it would be if Jeff Daniels hadn't won it for the Newsroom last year; thus proving that the category is a joke.

#13 JonCon's Red Beard

JonCon's Red Beard

The one with the Targaryen Entitlement™

• Members
  • 6,432 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

No Pascal?

Fuck you, Emmys.

#14 fire_ice

fire_ice

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

I'm glad they have so many overall nominations! But I agree, I would have rather Pedro Pascal got guest actor nomination than Diana Rigg. Although I do think she's well cast and at least game of thrones got nominated in yet another category! 

#15 brAnthelAstgreenseer

brAnthelAstgreenseer

Council Member

• Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

I think the Supporting Actor category is just as competitive Best Actor in drama category .  I hope Aaron Paul wins it .

#16 kairparavel

kairparavel

space-age polymer

• Members
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

I take it back: upon further consideration I would swap Lena Headey with Maisie Williams.

#17 Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Consul

• Members
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

Boardwalk Empire? Never heard of it. 

:D

Boardwalk got a few nominations like best directing and costumes which I hope they win. Hannibal got completely shut out which is crazy. Not even a cinematography nom :(

#18 Leap

Leap

put your helmet on

• Members
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

I always feel bad when two co-workers get nominated in the same category. That's why I'd probably go with Bryan, or perhaps Kevin Spacey. Haven't seen Mad Men or The Newsroom. 

I also feel for the Game of Thrones cast, so many of them are so talented and yet obviously they can't all get nominated. Also, I feel for Martin Freeman. BBT stealing the limelight, and it doesn't look like Sherlock's going to win either :/ I hope Robin Wright wins in her category, and Lena Headey obviously. 

Even if Taylor Schilling was a lead actress, I don't think she's worthy of an Emmy.

Edited by Leap, 10 July 2014 - 12:42 PM.

#19 Nictarion

Nictarion

Council Member

• Members
  • 9,530 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

Have to say I'm surprised to see Lena Headey nominated. She's ok as Cersei, but I've never been particularly blown away by any of her performances in GoT.

I'm really hoping for an upset in best actor, MM really deserves it for TD. I know it's not going to happen though.

Billy Bob Thornton totally deserves the win for best actor in a mini series. He was fantastic as Malvo in Fargo.

#20 polishgenius

polishgenius

The Good Doctor

• Members
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

No Mads Mikkelsen? You cannot be serious!

Reply to this topic