What Are You Listening to XIV: For We Are The Music Makers, And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams

Inigima

Just came back from Folkfest in Manitoba, really dug Mexican Institute of Sound and Palenke Soul Tribe. Really got everybody moving after 3 days of traditional folk.

And I came home to this new album from Prototyperaptor, which was the cherry on top of a great week off from work.

http://prototyperaptor.bandcamp.com/album/elemental

I'd never have thought it I'd been asked a few months ago but two of my favourite albums are ones that feel like tributes to bygone eras

There's "the war on drugs" - lost in the dream which could easily be from the 80s rock scene eg Dire straits/springstein.

then there's "cloud nothings" - hear and nowhere else. Which could have easily been from the Nirvana inspired grunge era.

Can't stop listening to them. I think the reason it works is because they probably aren't trying to sound like the music from that era and are just making great music that sounds like that.

Breakfast at Tiffanys.

Also, anything the good people of chat throw at me :P Including Tears for Fears - thanks Cora. ;P

Whoa. Until this very moment, for some reason I was sure that song was by the Bare Naked Ladies.

Anyway, I've been listening to Weird Al's new album, or at least, the songs that he's been releasing music videos to during its current promotion (Its day 3 of "8 songs, 8 days).

So far, there's:

Tacky, his parody of Happy

Word Crimes, his parody of Blurred Lines

Foil, his parody of Royals

I think Tacky has the best music video, and Foil is the funniest (especially its second half). I'm not enough of a grammar nazi to appreciate Word Crimes enough.

Archived