What Are You Listening to XIV: For We Are The Music Makers, And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams

Inigima

If you like the video you should check out the trailer as well (my second link above). I think it's powerful enough even if you don't understand a single word they say. And music is cool too.

Thanks again. I know some people who actually speak Polish.

So I've come to the conclusion that the first Parquet Courts album >>>> than the new one. The new one stuck at first but feels less and less listenable the more often I hear it.

Anyway, now I'm listening to Olympia, Washington's finest - Milk Music. Lo-fi, psychedelia/old fashioned rock and roll. Quality stuff.

I think I'm kind of a very strange MSP fan* in that I was introduced to them way late, liked some of their stuff that their hardcore fans probably think is shit, and haven't been able to get too into their older stuff.

The album that I like is Lifeblood, and I love tracks like Richard Nixon and Glastnost.

*which is to say perhaps I'm not much of one!

Lifeblood does seem to be perhaps the most criticised Manics album. Personally, I think it is under-rated, while I wouldn't say it was one of their best albums I still liked it. 1985 was probably my favourite song from it - I sometimes wonder if the reaction to the album might have been better if it had been the lead single released from it, it's a much more obvious single than The Love of Richard Nixon and sounds more like the Manics' big hits of the 90s. I do like The Love of Richard Nixon as well, but it is a slightly odd song and I think a lot of Manics fans were a bit bemused by one of Britain's most vehemently left-wing bands releasing a single seeming to suggest Nixon wasn't as bad as his reputation.

I think Lifeblood and last year's Rewind The Film are probably the least typical Manics albums, although even among their more popular albums I think there are divides in the fandom. I get the impression there's a fair number of Manics fans who look down on anything after The Holy Bible, but in terms of chart success their next couple of albums after that probably sold an order of magnitude more. I like most of their albums although not necessarily in the same way, while I admire The Holy Bible I can't say I often feel like listening to it all the way through, probably I'd say Everything Must Go is my favourite out of their albums.

Been listening to a huge amount of Deep Blue Something lately.

Maybe it's different in the US but over here in Britain they're very much regarded as a one-hit wonder for Breakfast at Tiffany's, I couldn't really name anything else by them. I take it you like their other songs and haven't just been listening to that one single 300 times...

I'm not a big Manics fan, though I do like Generation Terrorists,The Holy Bible and Everything Must Go, with the last being probably my favourite. But after If you tolerate... I kinda lost interest and I must admit I don't even know their latest releases.

I was well into Dogs Die in Hot Cars and the Stills at one point. Hot Hot Heat, the Thrills, the Departure, Dead 60s, the Rakes and the 1990s do crop up on the massive indie pop playlist every now and again. That Black Kids song was pretty cool too.

Don't think I've even heard of the others, although it's getting a bit out of my era by the end of the 00s. Must be a sickeningly tough business when youre just scraping the edge of real success.

I've liked Mr Bungle's California for years and years, but never really listened to their other stuff despite buying Disco Volante twice. I just picked up the self-titled album, and I really dig it on a first full listen-through. I think I like it more than most of California. Gonna make sure I spin up Disco Volante soon as well. Mike Patton uber alles.

I've liked Mr Bungle's California for years and years, but never really listened to their other stuff despite buying Disco Volante twice. I just picked up the self-titled album, and I really dig it on a first full listen-through. I think I like it more than most of California. Gonna make sure I spin up Disco Volante soon as well. Mike Patton uber alles.

I listened to the first half of DV on the way into work today, now you've inspired me to listen to selftitle on the way home. Sqyee

Edit: ze me macaroni!

Bastille, Oblivion

'When you fall asleep with your head upon my shoulder.
When you're in my arms but you've gone somewhere deeper.

Are you going to age with grace?
Are you going to age without mistakes?
Are you going to age with grace,
Or only to wake and hide your face?

When oblivion is calling out your name,
You always take it further than I ever can'

I think that I may have posted this to a previous iteration of the thread, but it's worth reminding y'all what it it's really all about. From 1969 and the 1970 album 'Live Dead': one of the best live versions of "Dark Star":

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ldoaglz7Qcg

I'll see if I can't dig up a copy of the lyrics. They are of course a bit on the spacey side, though as we know Bob Hunter stopped writing like this in favor of things like "Uncle John's Band" soon enough. At the time, I thought that change was very much for the worse, refused to buy "Working Man's Dead" and stopped paying attention, which was a mistake, since Europe '72 had good things on it and there was a real return to form with "Blues for Allah". In between there was "China Doll" and "Stella Blue", and a couple of other nice things. In the end it was just "Working Man's Dead" that I did not like. And I still don't like about half of it. Why anyone would like "Casey Jones" is beyond me.

While I was looking for those lyrics, I ran across this from Europe '72:

China Cat Sunflower/I Know You Rider, in the form they often choose, viz. as one song with two parts.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=xCgZxrf8nrU

And here are the Lyrics to China Cat, together with some useful analysis, which they certainly need.

http://artsites.ucsc.edu/gdead/agdl/china.html

Sci-2: that song by Bastille is nice (but the video is a little strange :)). Or maybe I'm just pleased to follow a link here and discover a band with a lead singer who can actually sing. I've followed a couple of other links and listened only to find myself thinking that those guys can't sing: who the fuck told those guys they could sing?

Archived