Who is Coldhands?

I just finished ADWD and I came on here to find stuff about Jon Snow's 'death' and I noticed that no one was really discussing this, and I'm still curious?

That's because nobody believes it. Far too many characters have "died" in cliffhangers like this one only to reappear a few chapters further down the line.

Bran's connection to Benjen being CH.

Bran states: the children of the forest will help him(Benjen), when Bran learns that his uncle is missing He is scolded for bringing up Old Nan's stories.

Bran sees a child of the forest she is helping Coldhands. When he first speaks with the child of the forest, he feels as if he has slipped into one of Old Nan's stories.

Benjen taught Bran all the forts on the wall. He mentioned that Bran knew them so well he could be first ranger. Later, Bran knows about the Nightfort's ice stairs but is not sure if Benjen or Luwin told him. Bran did know that Benjen told him the ice was too treacherous for stairs.

Coldhands has uncommon knowledge of the nightfort (location and operation of the black gate)

Bran comments that Benjen is first ranger and might know where the 3 eyed crow is.

Coldhands is a ranger that knows where the 3 eyed crow is.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Similarities?

Match

Benjen is described "as gaunt as a mountain crag"

Bran describes coldhands as "thin and gaunt"

Unknown

CH covers the lower part of his face.

Match

CH wears mottled blacks and grays.

Benjen was with the NW for 15 years

Match

CH appears to have control over animals

Starks are known to be wargs

Unknown

Benjen had blue eyes

CH has black eyes.

(eye color change is part of becoming a wight)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CH is recently deceased?

Clothing does not appear to be ancient and CH did not pick up new clothing from the traitors at Crasters.

(BR's blacks are all but rotted away in a couple of hundred years (give or take). Yoren's were worn to gray in about 30 (give or take). CH seems to fit between them.

CH surprised by wights under the snow. He was concerned when he reached the cave but continued on when he did not see the wights.

CH explains what happens to the body soon after death but not the long term effects.

Things to cast doubt on Coldhand's age

Some (ravens) would fly to the ranger and mutter to him. It seemed to Bran that he understood their quorks and squaks. The time when men understood ravens has been forgotten by man.

When Coldhands slaughtered the elk he spoke a tongue bran did not understand.

Leaf said No. They killed him long ago

If CH is a warg his ability to communicate with the ravens need not be ancient.

The Old Tongue is the language is currently in use by the Wildings and known by some NW brothers. Bran does not speak the old tongue as Leaf learned the common tongue for him.

The statement was made in as a correction to Bran's concern that the wights were going to kill CH if they leave him outside the cave. The statement includes that Leaf knew about the death of person now known as CH's. Bran's concern includes that he did not. Leaf knew both CH backstory and that CH did not tell Bran.

CH is not BR's meat puppet.

If BR warged CH, the elk, and the ravens, then ravens communicating with CH would be BR talking to himself. The elk was not as obedient when CH was not close.

BR knew about the wights under the snow outside the cave. CH did not.

Finally, Bejen's mission in the lands of always winter has either taken place completely off page or Benjen is CH. If Benjen turns up in winds of winter with a weapon or information that will defeat the Others, all that Jon, Bran, and Stannis did was simply a diversion. If Bran and CH's do the same thing the battle against the others is at least decided in the text.

If he was still ranging wouldn't he almost certainly be dead though? They spoke of the cold and storms and how bad this winter would be several times over, which would have hit the lands of always winter first.

State made some really good connections, I definitely believe that Coldhands is Benjen.

There are lots of theories, look him up on the wiki.

wiki theorys seem populated almost completely with people that like to type rather than think...

they slip their theories into the synopsis...and generally seem more concerned with making a point than evaluating...

They are quick to point out flaws in opposing ideas... and ignore the ones in their own

how about look them up in ASoIaF....

a novel and a notepad..

Or then again he's just Charon and of no significance beyond his function.

To a certain extent, I think you're right. I don't necessarily believe Coldhands will serve much more purpose than what he already did: ensuring that Bran survived the extrememly difficult and dangerous journey to Bloodraven (the importance of which cannot be overstated). But I still believe he's Benjen Stark who, in my opinion, is quite conspicuous in his absence ;)

I believe Coldhands is Benjen Stark resurrected by Bloodraven (aka Three-Eyed Crow) via sorcery in much the same way as Lady Stoneheart, Beric Donderrion, etc. in order to have Coldhands protect Bran and guide him to the cave where Bloodraven has been waiting.

CH is dead dead... LS and Berric were alive.. breathing.. eating.. ressurected having life again..

CH does not breathe or eat. BR may have reanimated Benjen like the Others reanimate corpses.. for the exact reasons you stated.

CH is dead dead... LS and Berric were alive.. breathing.. eating.. ressurected having life again..

CH does not breathe or eat. BR may have reanimated Benjen like the Others reanimate corpses.. for the exact reasons you stated.

Where does it say LS and Beric breathed, ate, etc.?

ETA: For the record, I also believe Melisandre has been resurrected via sorcery (but the Red Priests call it the "Kiss of Fire"). She only eats to keep up appearances, only used her bed for sex with Stannis, seems to give off faint heat or warmth even in the cold north, etc. I also strongly suspect Moqorro has been resurrected this way, too, because of his survival at sea but there's much less to go on there.

He can't be Benjen since Leaf said Benjen was killed long ago. Also, Coldhands speaks Old Tongue and Benjen not so much, and Coldhands knows where the Black Gate is and I doubt Benjen did.

The statement "No. They killed him long ago" was made in as a correction to Bran's concern that the wights were going to kill CH if they leave him outside the cave. The statement implies that Leaf knew about the death of person now known as CH's. Bran's concern includes that he did not. Leaf knew both CH backstory and that CH did not tell Bran.

The Old Tongue is the language is currently in use by the Wildings and known by some NW brothers. Benjen's knowledge of the Old Tongue is never mentioned. However as first ranger, his dealings with the wildings are implied.

Benjen taught Bran all the forts on the wall. He mentioned that Bran knew them so well he could be first ranger. Later, Bran knows about the Nightfort's ice stairs but is not sure if Benjen or Luwin told him. Bran did know that Benjen told him the ice was too treacherous for stairs.

Coldhands has uncommon knowledge of the nightfort (location and operation of the black gate)

Where does it say LS and Beric breathed, ate, etc.?

ETA: For the record, I also believe Melisandre has been resurrected via sorcery (but the Red Priests call it the "Kiss of Fire"). She only eats to keep up appearances, only used her bed for sex with Stannis, seems to give off faint heat or warmth even in the cold north, etc. I also strongly suspect Moqorro has been resurrected this way, too, because of his survival at sea but there's much less to go on there.

ok it does not say... ate drank. it says alive.. i said living things eat and breathe.... It does say CH does not breathe and is dead.

Beric was brought back... and died again.. LS was brought back from the dead.. Beric spoke of having died. CH speaks of being dead...

Bran is worried that CH will be killed. Leaf said No, CH was killed.. Though Berric was killed was killed again.

Berric not walking dead. He was dead and then living and is then walked. Berric carries the scars from previous deaths.(he heals) Same for LS Berric brought her back. (notably they comment that LS's throat wound does not heal.

ok it does not say... ate drank. it says alive.. i said living things eat and breathe.... It does say CH does not breathe and is dead.

Beric was brought back... and died again.. LS was brought back from the dead.. Beric spoke of having died. CH speaks of being dead...

Bran is worried that CH will be killed. Leaf said No, CH was killed.. Though Berric was killed was killed again.

Berric not walking dead. He was dead and then living and is then walked. Berric carries the scars from previous deaths.(he heals) Same for LS Berric brought her back. (notably they comment that LS's throat wound does not heal.

I submit that LS, Beric Donderrion, etc. also do not need to eat, breathe, etc. Though they may still do some of these things to keep up appearances. One could also have the interpretation that Leaf's statement is simply that Coldhands was already killed the first time or "in truth".

You're right that those who've been resurrected via sorcery do still show some of the scars/wounds from how they were killed. We see this with Donderrion and his many "deaths" and we see this with how Lady Stoneheart was killed. I submit that we also see this with how Coldhands now looks. I believe his hard, black hands are what would quickly happen to a dead body in the north (i.e. severe frostbite would quickly set in, etc.) In fact, Coldhands explains this himself when he says [paraphrasing] "when the heart stops, the blood congeals". I also speculate that Coldhands could have a wound that he conceals behind his scarf because it would be unsettling to his charges (Bran et al.) if he revealed it.

I also speculate that Coldhands could have a wound that he conceals behind his scarf because it would be unsettling to his charges (Bran et al.) if he revealed it.

Me too. I think he may just have bare skull under it.

Archived