Robert should have claimed the throne as a Targaryen

GreatGatsby

This not only gets rid of the "Usurper" title, but it makes future Rebellions more unlikely because they still have to come from the targ bloodline. I guess the only downside of this is he has to kill all the real targs, but he was doing that anyway.

So, if Robert was Robby Targ, does that mean that Robb would have never dared to march south? I mean, who would dare go against the might Joffrey Targaryen, right?

Duh. The dragonlords, despite being dragonless, can't be overthrown. Everyone was in awe of the Targaryen name during the first rebellion.

Balon greyjoy wouldnt have rebelled, as he feared the dragons. You're right about renly and stannis, but remember they did come from his bloodline, so hence they have dragon blood.

Robert, Stannis, et. al's claim to the Iron Throne via their Targaryen ancestry is so remote. Robert achieved the IT through conquest and legitimized his claim through the Targ relations only to appease loyalists. It was ceremonial at best.

Why are you concerned about Robert being called a 'Usurper'? Isn't it a non-issue in Westeros?

I dont think you guys are understanding my point. I said it makes rebellions unlikely, not impossible. Its a slight propaganda boost, essentially.

What rebellions happened due to Robert not being a "rightful" King? The Greyjoys rebelled because they wanted to seize a chance after the change of government. After that, nothing really happened at all. The War of the Five Kings had nothing to do with Robert being an Usurper but with Joffrey, the one who people think to be his legitimate child, being an idiot and beheading a Lord Paramount, and Cersei not giving him real heirs. That would have happened because Robert was a terrible husband,and that had nothing to do with his name.

Besides, everybody knows Robert is related to the Targaryens. So, it's not like it's a shock to them that he has at least a drop of dragon blood.

Its for the legacy.

Yes, the legacy. Much like my legacy. Did you know that before me the Stannis fandom was extremely disorganized? Why, it was no more then a loose conglomeration of random posters at the time. I turned us into something great, something special. That is my legacy. The legacy of ya boy ero.

Your welcome by the way.

Yes, the legacy. Much like my legacy. Did you know that before me the Stannis fandom was extremely disorganized? Why, it was no more then a loose conglomeration of random posters at the time. I turned us into something great, something special. That is my legacy. The legacy of ya boy ero.

Your welcome by the way.

All hail, E-Ro, the Aegon of the Stanstans.

Your welcome by the way.

Don't worry ro-ro, you won't be called an Usurper

Archived