Robert should have claimed the throne as a Targaryen

GreatGatsby

Yes, the legacy. Much like my legacy. Did you know that before me the Stannis fandom was extremely disorganized? Why, it was no more then a loose conglomeration of random posters at the time. I turned us into something great, something special. That is my legacy. The legacy of ya boy ero.

Your welcome by the way.

Brah, unfortunately for you, this only occurred due to Stannis having that fearsome dragon's blood running through his veins.

Its for the legacy.

Having a legacy that is in any way associated with a successful Targaryen regime is the last thing Robert could have stomached.

All hail, E-Ro, the Aegon of the Stanstans.

Aww hells yeah brah! You know sometimes I think about how fucking awesome I am and it just dumbfounds me, how can one person be so great? I don't know the answer to that question, but man i do know i am exceptional.

Don't worry ro-ro, you won't be called an Usurper

Ofc not brah brah.

Brah, unfortunately for you, this only occurred due to Stannis having that fearsome dragon's blood running through his veins.

Idk about this though. I think it has more to do with my exceptional-ism tbh.

I've seen the light, hallelujah. I now understand that Robert's surname is the true cause of Lady's death. If Robert had become Robert Targaryen, then Nymeria would have never dared to bite the wrist of Joffrey Targaryen and Arya would have never thought it possible to conquer his sword. The Baratheon name made people lack complete respect for the kingly institution, which lead to Lady's death. Death to the surname!

Its for the legacy.

His legacy? Like, he should have changed his name to Targaryen to stop....who, exactly, from calling him a usurper? Viserys? Because, yea, it would totally make sense to assume that guttersnipe would be tricked into believing Robert was actually a Targ, and it would go a really long way in getting the precisely two people who actually refer to him as "Usurper" to stop calling him that.

His legacy? Like, he should have changed his name to Targaryen to stop....who, exactly, from calling him a usurper? Viserys? Because, yea, it would totally make sense to assume that guttersnipe would be tricked into believing Robert was actually a Targ, and it would go a really long way in getting the precisely two people who actually refer to him as "Usurper" to stop calling him that.

Future generations will look to him more kindly, not viserys.

Future generations will look to him more kindly, not viserys.

uh, yea, I think if we're brainstorming ways Robert could have shored up his legacy more effectively, we should start with his buying a gold wig and calling Cersei "sister."

This not only gets rid of the "Usurper" title, but it makes future Rebellions more unlikely because they still have to come from the targ bloodline. I guess the only downside of this is he has to kill all the real targs, but he was doing that anyway.

Actually no, it wouldn't get rid of the title of usurper because he would still in fact be usurping the crown from the rightful heir Viserys.

What rebellions happened due to Robert not being a "rightful" King? The Greyjoys rebelled because they wanted to seize a chance after the change of government. After that, nothing really happened at all. The War of the Five Kings had nothing to do with Robert being an Usurper but with Joffrey, the one who people think to be his legitimate child, being an idiot and beheading a Lord Paramount, and Cersei not giving him real heirs. That would have happened because Robert was a terrible husband,and that had nothing to do with his name.

Besides, everybody knows Robert is related to the Targaryens. So, it's not like it's a shock to them that he has at least a drop of dragon blood.

If there's one thing we can take from Robert's Rebellion and TWOFK, it's that beheading Lord Paramounts is a good way to get yourself embroiled in civil war.

I do think that there would have been war eventually as a result of RR, even if Joffrey had not been...Joffrey and if he was Bob's trueborn son. Dorne was not happy at all about Elia's death and was plotting against the Baratheons. Oberyn would still try to get justice for Elia, causing a diplomatic snafu. Varys and Illyrio are still doing their thing with Aegon the Maybe, and Daenerys is still running around with dragons too. All of these events were occurring independent of Ned's death. Moving into more speculative territory, I wouldn't put it past Melisandre to convince Stannis to make a shadow baby that ends up killing Robert.

I think that the best way to preserve the Targaryen continuity & perceived legitimacy on the throne would have been to crown baby Aegon and rule with Jon Arryn, as senior rebel leader, as Hand. Mold the kid to your liking, and write some kind of Magna Carta-like document that limits absolute royal authority. I think that creating a Westerosi Magna Carta was the goal of Southron Ambitions, and it's a shame that nothing like that has ever happened. I think that a representative democracy would be too much to ask for, and would occur too fast, but the Magna Carta, even though it wasn't always followed, at least provided the inspiration for more modern Enlightenment ideas. Baby steps, people.

This not only gets rid of the "Usurper" title, but it makes future Rebellions more unlikely because they still have to come from the targ bloodline. I guess the only downside of this is he has to kill all the real targs, but he was doing that anyway.

This ignores/sidesteps his hatred of all things Targaryen.

We don't see enough of Robert to conclude that his drinking and risk taking = self loathing (he hates Targs/he is a Targ/He hates himself), but that's a question that could as easily be considered as this one. And it feels to me like there's more support in the text. We know Robert loathed the Targs - he was very clear about that. So how do you envision him taking on the mantle of a house he hates?

I can't.

Taking up a Targaryen name would have made him seem weak not strong and put in questions of legitimacy.

"He is just a stag who calls himself a Dragon."

"He was a Baratheon before the rebellion, now he calls himself Targaryen, but the stormlords were just a bastardline of the dragons."

etc.

Keeping the Baratheon name is stronger.

Essentially that's what Robert did. He killed every other Targ until he was next in line. That doesn't stop people from calling him Usurper, and they are right because:

a) He killed a lot of the rightful claimants to get to the throne and guided a rebellion against them

b) He is not even the rightful king after all those things, because Daenerys, Viserys and possibly Aegon.

Hence, usurper.

Archived