People who don't care about "The Big Four"?

The Onion Sleight

Don't view Arya as part of the four, we may like her but her assassin life in Braavos was as important to the story as Dany's figs. Bran is one of the four if you ask me. Like her, but that is how I feel.

My big 4 consist of

*The BlackFish

*benjen

*dolorous edd

*and maybe gendry

Weird list to my show viewer only friends.may just be a weird list in general.

It's just as weird to readers, since they're roughly equally proportionately represented in the show as in the books (and they're all in the show). In fact, proportionately speaking, Gendry is more represented in the show because he takes Edric Storm's role. (If you believe Coldhands is Benjen I suppose you could argue that he's less represented.)

My big 4 consist of

*The BlackFish

*benjen

*dolorous edd

*and maybe gendry

Weird list to my show viewer only friends.may just be a weird list in general.

Those are among my favourite minor characters. Minor characters in that if they never again appear in the books the story will continue on just fine.

Unlike Jon, Dany, Tyrion & Bran.

I just want to ask if here are some persons who say about themselves that they don't care about

Tyrion, Dany, Jon and Arya?

Anyone?

I don't have a particular attachment to those characters. I understand their significance to the overall plot but any of them dying would not cause me any specific grief. That is not a judgment of those characters, I am just mainly concerned with the story playing out so whatever happens to them I'll understand. This is the same with the other POVs, though I do tend to read the Davos ones pretty thoroughly.

The only character I'm truly "invested" in has not, and should not, have a POV chapter ever.

I don't have a particular attachment to those characters. I understand their significance to the overall plot but any of them dying would not cause me any specific grief. That is not a judgment of those characters, I am just mainly concerned with the story playing out so whatever happens to them I'll understand. This is the same with the other POVs, though I do tend to read the Davos ones pretty thoroughly.

The only character I'm truly "invested" in has not, and should not, have a POV chapter ever.

Interesting. The whole point of storytelling from a POV perspective is to make us emotionally invested in the characters whose heads we are in. This would suggest that GRRM has failed to engage you but you've found something to like nonetheless.

Interesting. The whole point of storytelling from a POV perspective is to make us emotionally invested in the characters whose heads we are in. This would suggest that GRRM has failed to engage you but you've found something to like nonetheless.

I don't get too emotionally invested in characters in general, actually - so perhaps I'm an outlier! I can think of a handful of characters I definitely "picked up on" as a result of good development or of them being whom I suspected were the author's favorite, though:

- Severus Snape

- R. Daneel Olivaw (and he was a robot ! )

- Jim Casy

- Conchis

And, of course, my "buddy" in this series, Petyr Baelish. He is awful but he is so masterfully written. I compare his portrayal to, "That's My Dog," an episode of Six Feet Under that was so successful at conveying its story that it gave some people PTSD.

These may be the 4 most popular POV characters but I don't see them as the 'Big Four', nor do I see the POV characters as the only important characters, so I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to feel indifferent to all 4 mentioned. Everyone admires different qualities and there are plenty of other characters. If someone liked no characters, then that I would find weird. However, I like them all, so I would personally find that strange.

Arya is one of my absolute favourites, Jon and Tyrion amongst my favourites and I like Dany. However, I'm not really interested in anything that goes on in Essos, so I won't follow Dany, Arya & Tyrion's stories that closely until they return to Westeros. And I probably wouldn't cry if either Dany or Tyrion died, especially if they died in Essos. Or maybe I would.

tyrion: liked up untill the end of ASOS. now he's just annoying

dany: she was amoung my fav characters in AGOT but after that my dislike for her grew with each book. i (unlike most as it seems) enjoyed her ADWD chapters though.

jon: always found him to be one of the most boring characters in the entire series. i can't really dislike him since he's a really positive character but the only jon chapters that i enjoyed were in ADWD

arya: never liked her much (especially after AGOT). i have to admit though that her AFFC and ADWD storyline was great.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a huge fan of Daenerys herself as much as I enjoy seeing the people around her (Barristan Selmy, Jorah Mormont, etc.). Seeing how and why people react around her to this woman cutting a path possibly back to Westeros is what makes her chapters.

Same mostly goes for Jon Snow, though I'm a bit more invested in his character.

Arya has had her ups and downs. I liked her a lot to start, then lulled a bit, and now I enjoy her current training arc with the faceless men.

Tyrion is Tyrion. I like him for being both entertaining and compelling on his own, as well as how other characters are on their A game around him. The Tyrion-Bronn relationship is one of my favorites in the book.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Dany. She's a nice character and person with good chapters.

I kind of like Jon, but he lacks charisma. He's a nice person, but he's so COLD all the time, like he's never truly happy or angry, and that annoys me.
His chapters in AGoT and (for the most part of)ACoK were boring as hell, but since then, they have been enjoyable until like 2/3 of ADwD(then they became kind of redundant, but that's a problem with the whole book, which was terribly paced).
But what I really don't like about Jon is his fans attitude toward his destiny. He apparently has to fulfill every single prophecy in the books so far and on top of that, be King in the Iron Throne. Oh, well...

I never liked Tyrion. He's just the kind of character who is totally made to be loved by people(just like Arya), which didn't work for me.

Anyway, his chapters in ACoK and ASoS were fucking awesome, I'll give him that.

On the other hand, I hate him as a person(hypocrytical, likes to play the victim, rude, sarcastic, bitter, self-centered, thinks himself better than he really is, etc.) and believe he's not important to the storyline but keeps being overused only because GRRM loves him - ADwD proves that.

He should have died in ASoS. :bang:

I liked Arya in AGoT and ACoK. Can't say the same thing about her chapters... They always bored me.

The only Arya chapters I liked were the ones involving Harrenhal. ASoS wasn't "perfect" because of the ridiculously big amount of useless chapters she had. I think she's too overused for no reason.
She's interesting, but the way she's being developed since ASoS bores me to tears, because she's been totally useless to the storyline but still has too much focus, and her chapters from ACoK's ending feel totally pointless - she just walks and travels and keeps failing in everything she intends to do, it's frustrating and predictable. Too many people she was planning to kill have already been killed. Besides, her personality has been destroyed as time passes.

I stopped caring, that's it. :frown5:

I like Tyrion although I much prefer his Westeros POVs.

Dany is definitely my least favourite POV . She's too detached from the main action and there's nothing that interesting about her.

I feel very sorry for Arya but again she feels quite removed from the main action. I want to see her back in Westeros on a killing spree. I think she's a cert to die and her death will possibly be one of the most tragic.

I like Jon more and more as the books go on . He grows and develops.

The ones who seem to me central to the plot are Jon, Dany, Tyrion and Bran.

However, that's only "seem to me," not reality. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if other folks wiggle into a central role, and if I had to rank the others as candidates, Arya and Sansa probably top the list, although the Jaime and Theon redemption arcs might bring one or both of them into a central position as well.

The ones who seem to me central to the plot are Jon, Dany, Tyrion and Bran.

However, that's only "seem to me," not reality. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if other folks wiggle into a central role, and if I had to rank the others as candidates, Arya and Sansa probably top the list, although the Jaime and Theon redemption arcs might bring one or both of them into a central position as well.

I don't see a big 4, but a big 6: Dany, Jon, Tyrion, Sansa, Arya and Bran.

Chapter count doesn't mean a thing: Tyrion has the biggest amount of chapters but is clearly not THE main character. Arya has more chapters than Sansa and Bran(and even Daenerys), but her relevance to the storyline is the same - actually, IMO, it's minor.

I'm not talking about chapter count. I'm talking about the overall story, as I perceive it.

I can't easily perceive Arya or Sansa as having a central role in the overall story. Most of the plot-turning events I can easily foresee involve some combination of Jon, Dany, Tyrion and Bran.

Again, the last two books are unwritten, and there's pretty much no limit to what can happen in 2000 pages, so I could turn out to be wildly off. But that's how I see it based on the info we have now.

Archived