Weirwood Trees and Black barred Trees Significance?

Kyrion

Something just blew my mind when re-reading, its the weird parallels between the Weirwoods and the trees in Qarth.

Weirwoods have white bark and red leaves and the black barked trees have blue leaves. Weirwood paste seems to be eerily similar to shade of the evening made from the black trees leaves, where they both taste bad initially than taste really good. Both sent our respective POV characters Bran and Dany, into a world of dreams, Where Bran saw the past, and Dany sees the future.

What can be made of this? Are these trees linked in some fashion? is this why we don't see Weirwoods on Essos cause maybe they black trees are there?

Any good theories on the connections between these trees?

In House of Black and White, there is a door and chairs made from weirwood & 'ebony'.

Arya does not know about existence of the black weirwood, so it seemed like ebony to her. At least I think so.

It's about time someone started a thread on this topic. The opposite/complimentary nature of the two types of trees really stand out. The parallels might also extend to the beings associated with them - the CotF for weirwoods, and those little rat-faced dwarfy guys at the HotU for the...

All right, we really need a name for those black-barked, blue-leaved trees. Anti-weirwoods? Shadowwoods? Shadewoods (since you apparently make Shade of the Evening from them)?

Nice catch on the "ebony". Ziriath. I hadn't spotted that.

Very interesting. It's neat that one usually associates the colors red and black to Team Fire and blue and white to Team Ice. However, weirwoods have white bark and red leaves, whereas these "shadewoods" have black bark and blue leaves. Huh. I wonder if Jon (since he's most likely the SOIF) will end up eating the weirwood paste and drinking shade of the evening.

Very interesting. It's neat that one usually associates the colors red and black to Team Fire and blue and white to Team Ice. However, weirwoods have white bark and red leaves, whereas these "shadewoods" have black bark and blue leaves. Huh. I wonder if Jon (since he's most likely the SOIF) will end up eating the weirwood paste and drinking shade of the evening.

I wonder what happens if you eat weirwood paste and drink shade of the evening at the same time. Do they fight it out? Do you hallucinate about the things in the weirnet? Do your lips turn purple?

• 1 year later...
I have mentioned this many times, there are connections/parallels between Weirwooods and House of Undying trees (Ironwood, but twisted is my guess) .
1.We have the coloring of them, Blue on Black and Red on White.
2.The places of worship created around them, House of Undying, godswood Heart trees and hollows beneath, Cotf and Warlocks worship there.
3. Consumption of the tree to see prophecy and far off events, and un-natural long "life" given by tree, Greenseers and Undying ones. The weirpaste and shade of evening both taste nasty at first then progressively better, good by the end.

I think the same holds true as to what will happen, they Undying were mostly dead, showed Dany Prophecies/past and future events while really trying to steal her life, essence. Drogon saved her.
Who benefits from a tree root growing through their brain? The tree. When Bran first enters the Cave of 3eyed Crow.

ADWD Bran II

"Bones," said Bran. "It's bones." The floor of the passage was littered with the bones of birds and beasts. But there were other bones as well, big ones that must have come from giants and small ones that could have been from children. On either side of them, in niches carved from the stone, skulls looked down on them. Bran saw a bear skull and a wolf skull, half a dozen human skulls and near as many giants. All the rest were small, queerly formed. Children of the forest. The roots had grown in and around and through them, every one. A few had ravens perched atop them, watching them pass with bright black eyes."

FIRST WARG EXPERIMENTS. ADWD Bran III

That was just another silly dream, though. Some days Bran wondered if all of this wasn't just some dream. Maybe he had fallen asleep out in the snows and dreamed himself a safe, warm place. You have to wake, he would tell himself, you have to wake right now, or you'll go dreaming into death. Once or twice he pinched his arm with his fingers, really hard, but the only thing that did was make his arm hurt. In the beginning he had tried to count the days by making note of when he woke and slept, but down here sleeping and waking had a way of melting into one another. Dreams became lessons, lessons became dreams, things happened all at once or not at all. Had he done that or only dreamed it?

I will see if I can find threads I posted before. Have to go now.

Archived