NBA Offseason - LeBronapalooza

Trebla

To quote the man himself:

“People think it’s so far-fetched that I would stay in Minnesota,” he says. “And I’m not s——- on the Lakers, but we have the better team, the better foundation. I’m having fun.”

He's not going to jump to the Lakers just for the name/location. He's going to jump to a team that can get him into the playoffs where he wants to be. No way in hell that's with Kobe at the moment.

ST

Lol, she's very excited. And she knows Love's deepest desires.

Seriously tho, why does Love want to be a Laker so badly? Where is this information coming from?

Um, from Love's mouth? He's said time and time again the Lakers are the team he'd prefer to be on. He's also made it pretty clear he wants to be on the west coast.

Besides, Minneapolis to Cleveland is a massive downgrade. Keep the winter, lose the night life.

Besides, Minneapolis to Cleveland is a massive downgrade. Keep the winter, lose the night life.

He's still got 41+ road games, and the offseason, to enjoy the clubs. Besides, the greater Cleveland metropolitan area has 3.5 million people, I'm sure its still got some sort of nightlife.

There's something to be said for riding out your current roster ( with some amplifications yet to come in support roles) if you're Cleveland.What Simmons suggests. See how it goes and all that.

But I think Simons is wrong to think that you will have seen enough to determine if they will be good enough by December/January, and that Cleveland can always trade for Kevin Love by that time. That assumes too much.

Love could very well be gone by then. Golden State will make a decision on this before the season starts, so that they can have their team together for a whole season run. This is probably what Cleveland ( and LeBron) will want as well. If Cleveland wait until February, he's probably gone, and then you really don't have any other significant game changers left that you can sign. It's Love's skillset, and the rarity of it, that has teams in the mix right now. If you miss out on him, well, you've got to go with what you have.

Cleveland should definitely go for Love. But they should try to keep Wiggins. Of course they will do that, but by now they're at a stage where it's clear that Minnesota has said they want Thompson ( plus Lee) or Wiggins, otherwise they don't deal. I don't see how Minnesota are bargaining from a position of weakness here. I think Minnesota is willing to trade but not in any sort of hurry, they won't mind if it takes till February, and if they can't get an offer they like, they might even hang on to him for the whole year and let him walk for nothing.

Giving up Wiggins will hurt a lot. Maybe they can't make themselves do it. Golden State on the other hand, They should probably do this deal. If they don't they are never going beyond a conference semi-final with this team. They just won't. Thompson will want to get paid big time as well. Golden State shouldn't do that if it can get Love. Thompson could probably get a max out of Minnesota though, so a trade wouldn't be bad for him. Problem for Golden State is big though, because who is going to defend? Maybe that can be solved by bringing in some other support players. I really think they should do this deal. The risk for Cleveland is a bit bigger IMO. What if Wiggins turns out a superstar?

But they have LeBron and him coming back means they need to win with him. He's their guy, and he needs support.

Golden State on the other hand, They should probably do this deal. If they don't they are never going beyond a conference semi-final with this team. They just won't. Thompson will want to get paid big time as well. Golden State shouldn't do that if it can get Love. Thompson could probably get a max out of Minnesota though, so a trade wouldn't be bad for him. Problem for Golden State is big though, because who is going to defend? Maybe that can be solved by bringing in some other support players. I really think they should do this deal. The risk for Cleveland is a bit bigger IMO. What if Wiggins turns out a superstar?

Hmm, I really don't see this as being a good deal for GS, especially if Thompson is involved. They don't need offense as much as they need defense in my estimation. You lose a great defender in Thompson and gain inside scoring with no defense with Love.

Don't agree that GS can't move forward with this squad. The Bogut injury was the one thing that kept them out of the semis this season. Granted, the guy has a history of injury problems, but the timing on that last one was just brutal. If they have that guy healthy in April, they have a shot at the semis.

Honestly, I don't see how you break up that backcourt for anything less than a superstar, and I'm not sure Love is a superstar.

I don't see how Minnesota are bargaining from a position of weakness here. I think Minnesota is willing to trade but not in any sort of hurry, they won't mind if it takes till February, and if they can't get an offer they like, they might even hang on to him for the whole year and let him walk for nothing.

To me letting him walk without getting anything would be a travesty at this point especially when you have the chance to acquire the #1 pick of the most loaded draft in years (AND the #1 pick from the least loaded draft ever! Bonus!)

I'm pretty sure Flip thinks Minnesota can make a run in the West like Portland did last year that will convince Love to stay like it did Aldridge. But there's no Damian Lillard walking through that door to help carry the superstar load and this team to 50+ wins. Feels like he's gambling the organization's future on a slim possibility.

The real thing that would terrify me if I was Flip Saunders is if Love and Lebron make an informal agreement that whatever happens this next season, he's going to Cleveland in 2015 under a max offer to go win titles, in the same way he, Wade and Bosh all agreed to team up years in advance. There goes any leverage he has trading Love to anywhere. That's the monster move I'm surprised Lebron isn't pushing for (and it's clear he's not because Cleveland's offer of Wiggins/Bennett is just hanging out there). I mean if Cleveland doesn't have to give up any assets to get Love I can't think of a better place to go in the NBA if he's serious that his primary goal is now winning. Sure there's a risk he gets traded to Golden State and loves it there or some other dark horse team (Houston? New York?) blows him away. A lot can happen in a year but the potential reward is extreme. Fortune favors the bold.

There´s no possible way for Cleveland to make a max offer for Love next year without losing some assets anyway.

James/Irving/Bennett/Waiters/Wiggins/Thompson would use nearly 60M of the cap.

Waiters, Thompson (since he would be looking for a new deal and plays the same position as Love) and Bennett (if he does not show a marked improvement) are expendable.

And? The point was that they would have to give up some assets in order to give Love max. Or are you claiming Waiters, Thompson and Bennett aren´t assets?

Yes they are. But expendable. You had them on your list. Lebron and Irving are untouchables obviously. So should be Wiggins. But these three are expendable. Not trying to pick a fight :)

And? The point was that they would have to give up some assets in order to give Love max. Or are you claiming Waiters, Thompson and Bennett aren´t assets?

There's different level of assets. It's like Houston's situation. Yes Asik and Lin have value, but nowhere near the value of Bosh on a team with title aspirations, so under the right circumstance, yeah, definitely move them. It didn't work in this case but they were hours from having the best starting lineup in the NBA.

There'll be takers on Waiters, Thompson or Bennett depending on which Cleveland is most ready to move. Moreover an extra year will help determine which player(s) should be moved. Feels like such a rush to ship Wiggins and Bennett out of town when, for all we know, either one could end up the critical piece on a Cleveland championship. Not likely for Bennett but there's still reasons he went #1 overall and he has looked exponentially better in Summer League. The home run attainable in 2015 is Irving, Wiggins, Lebron, Love as the 1-4. Maybe the personalities involved won't let it work but if I'm Cleveland that's the goal I'm exploring to its fullest. They're in a great situation either way but they have a unique opportunity to be amazing.

I vote that Cleveland give up nothing in a trade for Love. If he comes their way he comes their way. Though if the Cavs were to get him, that offense becomes freakish. I'd have to imagine Lebron would play the 3 and Love the 4. Imagine the spacing!

Get a good slashing PG in there like... I don't know, Kyrie Irving, and you've got a lineup.

That said, there's no way you let Wiggins go in a trade.

Archived