Make the bad man fly

willofDorne

Actually, Tyrion is the most likeable of all the POV characters, save some of the starks/snows.

He drinks and whores, but is at heart a very decent person. He refuses to commit martial rape, despite the orders of his father. He killed his father, aye, but this is the same person who (probably) knew that he was innocent and went along with the farce of a trial anyway and also ordered the rape of the girl Tyrion loved, and forced his son to witness it.

He defends the honor of Sansa Stark from his nephew, despite receiving no direct gain from said defense ( at the time, he was not wed to Sansa).

Actually, Tyrion is the most likeable of all the POV characters, save some of the starks/snows.

He drinks and whores, but is at heart a very decent person. He refuses to commit martial rape, despite the orders of his father. He killed his father, aye, but this is the same person who (probably) knew that he was innocent and went along with the farce of a trial anyway and also ordered the rape of the girl Tyrion loved, and forced his son to witness it.

He defends the honor of Sansa Stark from his nephew, despite receiving no direct gain from said defense ( at the time, he was not wed to Sansa).

I don't really believe he's a decent person at heart. He's very good at deluding himself and justifying his actions, and therefore making himself look like a victim. Now, Tyrion had every right to kill Tywin, no argument there. His murder of Shae is much more morally dark and questionable, however, and a lot of his behaviour in Essos is downright despicable. Also, it should be noted that Tyrion did not save Sansa out of his own (nonexistent) altruism. He was very worried the Starks would get word of this and retaliate by harming Jaime, the only person he really cared about.

I'm not saying he's an evil man, but he isn't particularly good either.

He's a war monger at heart. Spending time in Winterfell to use their library, he reads "Engines of War." And he knew what his brother and sister had done.

Evil to the core. Spurning Shae and marrying Sansa was a mummer's farce. His family is family is beyond dishonored.

Am I forgetting something?

Essos..

Got drunk (wasn't driving, so what?)

Eyeballed a hot naked lady

Risked his life to save Aegon

Went to a whorehouse.

Escaped slavery

Slapped some sense into Penny (admittedly, bad, but not what I would call evil)

Tries to get a sellsword company to switch sides.

Only one of those I'd call wrong, but it wouldn't stretch to evil.

He's a war monger at heart. Spending time in Winterfell to use their library, he reads "Engines of War." And he knew what his brother and sister had done.

Evil to the core. Spurning Shae and marrying Sansa was a mummer's farce. His family is family is beyond dishonored.

He has read all kinds of books, does the fact that he also read Lomas Longstrider's Wonders of the Man Made World change anything? How is this RELEVANT?

He knew what his brother and sister had done, but what do you want him to do for that? Tell everyone, and be laughed at for making unproven accusations, or perhaps he should have secretly made a plan to kill his brother and sister?

It is not his family's honour he was defending, it was Sansa's ! Also, was refusing to commit martial rape also a farce?

Tyrion is evil. I don't care what anyone says about his POV, he'd a drunkin liar. All his POVs are lies and self delusions.

I agree to the fullest.

Am I forgetting something?

Essos..

Got drunk (wasn't driving, so what?)

Eyeballed a hot naked lady

Risked his life to save Aegon

Went to a whorehouse.

Escaped slavery

Slapped some sense into Penny (admittedly, bad, but not what I would call evil)

Tries to get a sellsword company to switch sides.

Only one of those I'd call wrong, but it wouldn't stretch to evil.

Two instances of rape? And that's just his arc in Dance, where he lacks opportunities for worse.

I don't really believe he's a decent person at heart. He's very good at deluding himself and justifying his actions, and therefore making himself look like a victim. Now, Tyrion had every right to kill Tywin, no argument there. His murder of Shae is much more morally dark and questionable, however, and a lot of his behaviour in Essos is downright despicable. Also, it should be noted that Tyrion did not save Sansa out of his own (nonexistent) altruism. He was very worried the Starks would get word of this and retaliate by harming Jaime, the only person he really cared about.

I'm not saying he's an evil man, but he isn't particularly good either.

Shae also tried to kill him, and possibly attacked him first ( I don't remember the details from the book, but Shae grabbed a knife in the show when he hadn't done anything and was unarmed).

Fine, let us agree that Tyrion saved Sansa for Jaime. But what was it that prevented him from RAPING her?

Daven, Genna, Kevan, and hell even Lancel all seem better people than him

Yeah Lancel, the particiant in Robert's murder, was surely a better person (I agree he is on a path to redemption, but this does not mean that his slate is wiped clean). So was Genna, who wanted to kill the surrendered Riverrun garrison, which had been guaranteed safe passage, and din't go ahead with it only because Jaime forbade it.

I do agree that Kevan appears to be a better person, but then he hasn't been featured heavily enough to know for sure. And Daven has hardly been featured at all, so all we're doing is guessing his character.

Archived