Lord Randyll is either a cheap or sadistic bastard

Mal Malenkirk

I think the fact that you can flunk out of measters was probably a concern to Randall as well. Qyburn was kicked out. Sam is afraid of blood and would do no good as a doctor. I doubt he'd make the cut with all his fears. If he gets kicked out, he can press his "rights" to Horn Hill. Randall wanted an air tight way to get rid of him. Nights Watch is lifelong, no outs. No possible way Sam can ever press his rights. Also, Sam would be likely to die, and Randall would probably prefer that.

i think like the posters before as mentioned Randyll didnt have high thoughts about Maesters according to Sam ,but i think there will be more to it because there is still a possiblity he may press a claim to HornHill

for example:we have Aemon who was Maester of Citadel asked to take crown ..i know kingship and Lordship may not be in same league but still it shows that you can take the claim

but sending him NW will close those possiblities and a very fat chance of Sam dying at the Wall ( he threatens to kill him if he didnt take the black) ...

so i will go with Sadistic Bastard and not cheap

There is no guarantee that Sam would become a Maester. Thus far in his life at home, he had failed at everything, why should becoming a Maester be any different.

Training at the Citadel does not prevent you from owning lands as we know from the Rogue Prince that Lyonel Strong had studied at the Citadel and forged 6 links of his chain and yet still became the Lord of Harenhal. If a trainee can quit with that much done then maybe its possible that Maesters themselves can quit.

The Tarlys control Horn Hill, which is located in front of the Red Mountains of Dorne. It may well be that the Tarlys play a similar role to the Marcher Lords of the Stormlands,protecting the Stormlands, and Houses Badger and Yronwood, the Wardens of the Pass protecting Dorne.

Horn Hill being a primarily military House would explain why Randyll was leading armies during Roberts Rebellion presumably at a young age. Sam is the same age as Robb and Jon and is the oldest of the 5 Tarly children. I'm guessing he is around the same age as the Ned and Robert and would have been a young man during RR. The Tarly men, especially their Lords, are expected to lead the armies of the Reach and defend it from Dorne.

Doesn't Sam say that the Tarley name is mud in Oldtown? Some old grudge beyond even his father's disdain for the maesters. Also I think the point of making him take the black was so he could tell other people that Sam was dead, as a maester Sam might run into people who knew him from earlier in life, but on the wall its like he doesn't exist.

The problem with Sam is that he takes bad situations and magnifies them in his mind to the extent that he's paralyzed. He fears pain, even though he has survived painful situations. He can't say "That was pretty bad, but I got through it." He just freaks out all over again. He can only act when he's absolutely forced to set his fear aside.

I go the impression that we're to tank that some of this is his father's doing. Maybe Sam was a bit "soft" as a boy and Randyll beat(maybe literally) into him what a coward he is. So he grows up conditioned to think of himself as a coward and doesn't have any experiences before the NW to consider anything else for himself. Like kids who've been told their whole lives that they are stupid, will often assume its true and not really try.

To OP, Randyll Tarly is a world record holder in asshattery.

I think the fact that you can flunk out of measters was probably a concern to Randall as well. Qyburn was kicked out. Sam is afraid of blood and would do no good as a doctor. I doubt he'd make the cut with all his fears. If he gets kicked out, he can press his "rights" to Horn Hill. Randall wanted an air tight way to get rid of him. Nights Watch is lifelong, no outs. No possible way Sam can ever press his rights. Also, Sam would be likely to die, and Randall would probably prefer that.

:agree: if sam played it right he could go years as an apprentice waiting for his father to die then press his claim

Yeah, from Randyll's POV the Watch has several pros over the Citadel, and what Sam might prefer figures nowhere on that list.

Namely, it puts Sam and any heirs he might (more or less accidentally) produce firmly out of the succession, it takes Sam a looong way away (out of sight, out of mind, particularly for Randyll's neighbours), on the surface there's still some prestige to be found in serving the watch (even if it's less than it used to be) and there's no risk of Sam coming back (unlike the Citadel, which you can apparently fail at). At the watch, you stay for life - however short that life may turn out to be if you're not cut out for it (if he had lived long enough, Sam would probably have killed himself if not for Jon's intervention).

For the record I don't blame Randyll for not wanting Sam for his heir, though everything else he does in regards to Sam is pretty much wrong, I don't think he would've done Sam any favors by allowing him to stay at Horn Hill in perpetuity. Sam himself might not have wanted to push his claim but others might want to exploit it - and he is the eldest, so it would probably cause no end of issues. Westeros is not well suited to bookish and timid lords (Rodrik the Reader is bookish, but neither timid nor a coward when it comes down to it).

Archived