Small questions v. 10085

Jon Weirgaryen

Thanks. That just reinforces the idea that there may be something important in the crypts. Might even be the horn of joramun as some pink letter conspiracy theorists suspect.

Is there an Old Nan reread?

Benjen is there MHO

It seems he never reported anything, because no one at the NW knew what happened to Waymar (?) Royce and Will. The words of L/C Mormont that Jon Weirgarien just cited made me believe that Gared never returned to Castle Black. That's why I asked my question about other ways to go through ))). As for why he was easily caught, I've always imagined that the horrors he witnessed made him half insane, and he was unable to think clearly.

True, CB seems unlikely to have been Gareds route. At least, it is Mormonts quote that suggests that he didn't know Gared was south of the Wall until Ned told him (per letter, I assume)

You might also be able to work it out from when Waymar Royce was at Winterfell and Sansa saw him. I dont recall if specific dates are mentioned there or not. There is probably a line about how long Waymar Royce has been missing too, when Benjen sets out.

On that note, I always wondered what Gared said to Ned. Whether he mentioned Waymar and Will at all

There's about 7 to 9 months between the deaths of Will and Waymar, and the death of Gared ;)

True, CB seems unlikely to have been Gareds route. At least, it is Mormonts quote that suggests that he didn't know Gared was south of the Wall until Ned told him (per letter, I assume)

There's about 7 to 9 months between the deaths of Will and Waymar, and the death of Gared ;)

Which kind of months? Lunar, calendar (which calendar)? How many days in each, do we start counting at zero or one? Then how many miles from the place of Ser Waymar's demise to where Gared met his end at Ned's hand, as the crow flies? It could be anywhere from 196 to 270 days, if it's the former then Jon is a Targ, if it's the latter he's the fisherwoman's daughter.

Which kind of months? Lunar, calendar (which calendar)? How many days in each, do we start counting at zero or one? Then how many miles from the place of Ser Waymar's demise to where Gared met his end at Ned's hand, as the crow flies? It could be anywhere from 196 to 270 days, if it's the former then Jon is a Targ, if it's the latter he's the fisherwoman's daughter.

Asoiaf months have 30 days. It has nothing to do with miles, but with the moment Waymar visited Winterfell, the moment he arrives at the Wall, and the moment of his death, combined with the timing of Sansa's memory to meeting Waymar.

Asoiaf months have 30 days. It has nothing to do with miles, but with the moment Waymar visited Winterfell, the moment he arrives at the Wall, and the moment of his death, combined with the timing of Sansa's memory to meeting Waymar.

My apologies, I wasn't serious, more referencing another poster's recent silliness.

While trying to answer above question I stumbled over this:

Arya gave her a look like she was so stupid. "Rhaegar's rubies. This is where King Robert killed him and won the crown."

AGoT 15 Sansa I

Interesting, Arya thinks defeating Rhaegar Targaryen is what won Robert - "King Robert" - the crown. Not the killing of Aerys II Tagaryen or the military victory thar the Sack of King's Landing meant in the war. So this is Arya's definition of the end of the Robellion, answering a question asked further upthread.

revisiting to add:

"There's no crossing on the Green Fork above the ruby ford, where Robert won his crown.

AGoT 55 Catelyn VIII

finally:

Did Robert Baratheon wear a Targaryen crown or one of his own choosing?

Unfortionately I haven't found it mentioned in the book A Game of Thrones.

The first crown for a male king we see being described is this thingy:

Joff wore plush black velvets slashed with crimson, a shimmering cloth-of-gold cape with a high collar, and on his head a golden crown crusted with rubies and black diamonds.

AGoT 57 Sansa V

Is the sword, Blackfyre, ever described physically anywhere? I don't remember reading anything aside from it having been a "hand and a half" sword. EDIT: And that may even have been Wiki reading.

Do we know if the tree that tKotLT left his/her shield on was a weirwood?

I don't recall that having been stated, just that it was hanging from a tree, but anyone else's input would be helpful.

(Oh, hi, I'm new, as is probably obvious from post count.)

Do we know if the tree that tKotLT left his/her shield on was a weirwood?

Positive:

"No one knew," said Meera, "but the mystery knight was short of stature, and clad in ill-fitting armor made up of bits and pieces. The device upon his shield was a heart tree of the old gods, a white weirwood with a laughing red face."

ASoS 24 Bran II (near the end of the chapter)

added:

Welcome to the forum, @mvc!

I've looked over map of Dorne and now I have a question.

We know Dornish mountain passages are narrow and well-guarded.

I always thought the Tower of Joy is on Daynes' land and Starfall is nearby.

Fut it's not. There is a long road from ToJ to Starfall, through mountains, through the lands of other Dornish houses.

And these Dornish Houses were in state of war with Robert untill Jon Arryn traveled to Sunspear to negotiate with prince Doran. Wiki says it was "the year after Robert took the throne (284AC)" (see Jon Arryn's article).

Eddard traveled to Starfall directly from ToJ. So, Dornismen didn't bend their knees to Robert and still considered themselves Targaryen loyalists.

How come Ned was able to travel through hostile lands just after killing Dorne's most admired knight, being an ally of the people who killed their princess and her kids? Why they let him pass?

Positive:

ASoS 24 Bran II (near the end of the chapter)

added:

Welcome to the forum, @mvc!

:)

But the question was whether the shield was found hanging on a Weirwood...:)

Without checking, I don't think what type of tree was specified.

Is the sword, Blackfyre, ever described physically anywhere? I don't remember reading anything aside from it having been a "hand and a half" sword. EDIT: And that may even have been Wiki reading.

I don't recall that having been stated, just that it was hanging from a tree, but anyone else's input would be helpful.

It's described twice in SSMs, once as a hand and a halfer, and once as a greatsword.

I've looked over map of Dorne and now I have a question.

We know Dornish mountain passages are narrow and well-guarded.

I always thought the Tower of Joy is on Daynes' land and Starfall is nearby.

Fut it's not. There is a long road from ToJ to Starfall, through mountains, through the lands of other Dornish houses.

And these Dornish Houses were in state of war with Robert untill Jon Arryn traveled to Sunspear to negotiate with prince Doran. Wiki says it was "the year after Robert took the throne (284AC)" (see Jon Arryn's article).

Eddard traveled to Starfall directly from ToJ. So, Dornismen didn't bend their knees to Robert and still considered themselves Targaryen loyalists.

How come Ned was able to travel through hostile lands just after killing Dorne's most admired knight, being an ally of the people who killed their princess and her kids? Why they let him pass?

What map are you looking at? I don't think the Tower of Joy is shown on the one in Feast. Anyway the Dornish weren't very involved in the war, apart from the ten thousand men commanded by Lewyn Martell. Aerys basically had to hold Elia hostage to get that. Jon Arryn went south not to negotiate an end to open war between Dorne and the rebels, but rather to try to smooth things over after the deaths of Elia and her children.

:)

But the question was whether the shield was found hanging on a Weirwood... :)

Without checking, I don't think what type of tree was specified.

Yeah, he had a Weirwood image on the shield but when they found his shield hanging it just said that it was from a tree. The assumption would be that it's on one but that isn't explicitly stated. I'm guessing @jobmartell's question is for trying to determine more about who the Knight was, perhaps.

It's described twice in SSMs, once as a hand and a halfer, and once as a greatsword.

Ah, the second part clears up a good bit. I had been asking for physical details but if it is definitely described as a greatsword then that certainly rules out "interpretation" for the hand and a half part.

Ah, the second part clears up a good bit. I had been asking for physical details but if it is definitely described as a greatsword then that certainly rules out "interpretation" for the hand and a half part.

The general rule of thumb when it comes to contradicting information from SSM's is that the information in the more recent SSM takes precedence over the older one. There is a note in the SSM where GRRM says that Blackfyre is a greatsword:

[Note: Some time later, in separate correspondence, GRRM described Blackfyre as a hand-and-a-half sword rather than a greatsword.]

So the more recent information is that Blackfyre is a hand-and-a-half sword and this should be assumed to be correct unless we get more recent information that says otherwise.

The general rule of thumb when it comes to contradicting information from SSM's is that the information in the more recent SSM takes precedence over the older one. There is a note in the SSM where GRRM says that Blackfyre is a greatsword:

[Note: Some time later, in separate correspondence, GRRM described Blackfyre as a hand-and-a-half sword rather than a greatsword.]

So the more recent information is that Blackfyre is a hand-and-a-half sword and this should be assumed to be correct unless we get more recent information that says otherwise.

Thanks for the update - I haven't followed the SSMs, really, so I must have been reading about it on the Wiki or someone was discussing it with me. I interpret this as: he means a great/bastard sword.

But the question was whether the shield was found hanging on a Weirwood...

Oh, aye!

[...] when they found his shield hanging it just said that it was from a tree. The assumption would be that it's on one but that isn't explicitly stated.

Oh kay. No weirwood mentioned, then my bet is it was no weirwood. What does it matter?

There is a whole island full of weirwoods out in the lake near Harrenhal where the story folds up, and iirc there are still wild weirwood trees even on the Harrenhal shores, so it might well have been a weirwood, but in that case I'd have thought that would have been told in the story and it isn't. Praying to the old gods is part of the story,

The quiet wolf had offered the little crannogman a place in his tent that night, but before he slept he knelt on the lakeshore, looking across the water to where the Isle of Faces would be, and said a prayer to the old gods of north and Neck . . . "

So facing the water and thus facing the island of the faces is the modality of this prayer, not in front of a specific weirwood tree.

Howland asks the old gods for help and help is granted through the KotLT - who in my experience of the tale is

The wolf maid, i.e. Lyanna

Stark.

Archived