Small questions v. 10085

Jon Weirgaryen

You can see her training secretly with Benjen in a weirwood vision of Bran in Dance. Ned also tells Arya in Game that Lyanna would have worn a sword if Rickard would have allowed it.

Yep :) She is the girl Bran thinks is Arya, who even does the "You stupid!" thing like her too :p

Yep :) She is the girl Bran thinks is Arya, who even does the "You stupid!" thing like her too :p

How many times must I reread the books in order to avoid forgetting or overlooking significant stuff? :) Here we go again. Actually, it's what makes the book series remain so interesting. :)

Because Chekov's Gun tells you not to waste your limited amount of time (in a play/theatre/TV/movie) on extraneous material.... in a 4000+ page novel(s) you can spend some time describing what they ate for dinner or in describing the landscape.

Breaking the 4th wall in a play/theatre/TV/movie is somewhat easy to detect - in a novel not quite as clear what would constitute breaking the wall.

Chekov's Gun - is allright, the audience must not get bored may be an underlying principle. I wished more writers would take care of that. George did for me, though not for everyone.

He has lots of stories inside stories to tell, that's a bit unlike theater. And a lot of theatrical stuff simply won't work in a book, because you cannot manipulate the reader the way an actor can control the audience.

So it only works as an analogy, it is not the real thing.

Breaking the fourth (and fifth) wall works in direct analogy, when narrator or characters start talking to the reader. The book of course is a safer place, in a play, you might be dragged physically on stage, or an actor walk out of it and step on you, books are safe in that respect.

In analogy, we recite the characters in the book all the time, alhough we aren't in it. There's some reverse breaking the fourth wall there. We enter the stage on this forum.

Other terms may apply better, I concur.

How many times must I reread the books in order to avoid forgetting or overlooking significant stuff? :) Here we go again. Actually, it's what makes the book series remain so interesting. :)

You will probably have to re-read a lot.

Am still in the 0-2 re-reads phase, but happy to have caught quite a few bits :)

Other people seem to catch other things, where I think I might not have spotted that one in my theoretical 10th re-read.

Because Chekov's Gun tells you not to waste your limited amount of time (in a play/theatre/TV/movie) on extraneous material.... in a 4000+ page novel(s) you can spend some time describing what they ate for dinner or in describing the landscape.

Breaking the 4th wall in a play/theatre/TV/movie is somewhat easy to detect - in a novel not quite as clear what would constitute breaking the wall.

Chekhov's gun... applies to literature

Remove everything that has no relevance to the story. If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there.

In an extended work you simply have more chapters before it needs to go off.

Speaking directly to or otherwise acknowledging the audience through a camera in a film or television program, or through this imaginary wall in a play, is referred to as "breaking the fourth wall" and is considered a technique of metafiction, as it penetrates the boundaries normally set up by works of fiction.This can also occur in literature and video games when a character acknowledges the reader or player.

GRRM using the term "gunwale" to describe a part of the boat Mel was on was unintentionally breaking the fourth wall. It is a term he or the reader would use but not one that would be present during the time.

GRRM using Lyanna in a white dress may be a fourth wall break because white dresses have nothing to do with marriage in Westeros. A white dress to GRRM or the reader does mean wedding.

Among all the dragons we now know the colour of, is there a blue one?

Yes, there is in The Princess and the Queen:

The dragon was Tessarion, the Blue Queen, cobalt and copper. On her back rode the youngest of Queen Alicent's three sons, Daeron Targaryen, fifteen, Lord Ormund's squire.

The term "The Blue Queen" in capitalisation is used throughout the story when the dragon is mentioned.

Hi everyone! Does this site have an App? I'm getting addicted to it! :drool:

My question: We know that Robb legitimazed Jon, making him Jon Stark the King of the North after Robb's death. How would this affect the interests of the northen Lords, taking into account that he's the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch and as a black brother can not hold a title out of it? (I'm just interested in the political consequences, so please don't give me R+L=J or that Jon is dead (in my prayers he's alive))

Hi @The Black Death.

We know that Robb legitimazed Jon, making him Jon Stark the King of the North after Robb's death. How would this affect the interests of the northen Lords, taking into account that he's the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch

We know it, but do the Northern Lords know it? It is alltogether not a small question.

There are threads discussing the Great Northern Conspiracy meaning that they indeed know and work mischief under the nose of the Boltons to get either Jon or some Stark back into Northern Power.

And there are lots of theories how Jon could be anything. Look around, or maybe start your own thread :)

My question: We know that Robb legitimazed Jon, making him Jon Stark the King of the North after Robb's death. How would this affect the interests of the northen Lords, taking into account that he's the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch and as a black brother can not hold a title out of it? (I'm just interested in the political consequences, so please don't give me R+L=J or that Jon is dead (in my prayers he's alive))

This thread is for small questions. You're looking for...

http://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-verizon&source=android-home&site=webhp&source=hp&ei=eQvQU-ioI8qhogS_zoHgDQ&q=robb%27s+will+jon+snow&oq=robb%27s+will+jon+snow&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.12..0i22i30l3.5804.21168.0.22668.23.22.0.6.6.0.647.6361.0j1j14j5j1j1.22.0....0...1c.1.49.mobile-gws-hp..1.22.4869.3.5TTJeihxKrM#q=robb's+will+jon+snow+site:asoiaf.westeros.org

There is he official app, which is sort of like the wiki, though it is not available anywhere (and when available, it might not work on every type of mobile phone).

Whether Jon is king is still unknown. That depends of whether Robbs will was written with a specific statement that Jon was Robbs heir until his son was born because all of Robbs trueborn brothers/heirs were dead, or whether Jons legitimacy still counts when it us discovered that Rickon is still alive (assuming Bran won't return from beyond the Wall).

In any case, GRRM has stated that with the appropriate authority (think Great Council) someone in the NW. An be released from his vows.

I know we've been shown two crown princes without silver-gold hair (baelor and daeron), but has there ever been a Targaryen king who didn't have silver-gold hair in the history of the iron throne?

No, they all had silver hair. The wiki of ice and fire has portraits of the Targaryen kings made by Amok, as per close description of GRRM personally. They are worth a look

Archived