Small questions v. 10085

Jon Weirgaryen

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Prophecies/Entry/II_511_512_The_Dragon_Has_Three_Heads/

"The fifth room shows Rhaegar and Elia with the newborn Aegon, as confirmed by Martin."

Wait, why did Martin have to confirm this at all? It's stated in the book:

Viserys, was her first thought the next time she paused, but a second glance told her otherwise. The man had her brother’s hair, but he was taller, and his eyes were a dark indigo rather than lilac. “Aegon,” he said to a woman nursing a newborn babe in a great wooden bed. “What better name for a king?”

“Will you make a song for him?” the woman asked.

“He has a song,” the man replied. “He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire.”

Wait, why did Martin have to confirm this at all? It's stated in the book:

Some people think it might have been Lyanna if the song of ice and fire belongs to Jon and he is TPTWP. I was looking for exact confirmation that it's not for someone who was trying to theorize.

Some people think it might have been Lyanna if the song of ice and fire belongs to Jon and he is TPTWP. I was looking for exact confirmation that it's not for someone who was trying to theorize.

So those people think Rhaegar wanted to name his second son Aegon also?

So those people think Rhaegar wanted to name his second son Aegon also?

Not quite sure. Didn't get that far because I was trying to show that it was Elia, not Lyanna. Just couldn't find anything beyond the Citadel confirmation.

Anyone know how long the last winter lasted, the one before the year of false spring? Is there anything about it from Old Nan, or a Maester, or anyone?

We don't know how long that specific winter had lasted, but it wasn't the previous one ;)

Perhaps this gives you an idea: the summer has lasted ten years, two months and sixteen days, and ends rather early in 299AC. This means that the summer began in the last few weeks of 288AC.

Tyrion Lannister was born in 272AC or 273AC, in the middle of "a cruel winter" that lasted three years. Say he was born in 273AC (as he was ten years old in 283). Than he winter of his birth would have ended in 274AC.

Tyrion has lived through 9 winters, when asked the question during the ten year long summer. The winter of his birth was the first of those 9, showing that between 274AC and 288AC, eight more summers and winters occurred (and thus also eight more springs and autumns). The only thing we know further is that 281 will thus actually have been winter (and probably 280AC as well). Further, we don't know about the seasons.

Now, if you start to calculate with this,you'll end up with rather short seasons. So I'm guessing that the remark of Tyrion having lived through 9 winters was a mistake, or the springs and autumns usually don't last that long.

The autumn after the ten year summer, btw, lasted about a year and a half.

Though it should be mentioned that Dorne used to be divided in multiple kingdoms, all ruled by Kings. King Mors and Queen Nymeria united these kingdoms, forming a united Dorne, and Mors took the title of Prince, following Rhoynish costums since then. All Martell rulers after him have done the same.

Wouldn't it be great if prince was a Rhoynish word meaning king

Why does Rhaegar say Aegon's song is the song of ice and fire? Where does the 'ice' bit come from?

Well, that's the $64k question. Try the heresy threads and this...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/86012-what-does-rhaegar-think-the-song-of-ice-and-fire-is/

I've been wondering where it was Lyanna was "abducted" from. Was it winterfell

The location hasn't been told to us yet. There are a few guesses though...

http://www.google.com/search?q=Rhaegar+Lyanna+abduct+site:asoiaf.westeros.org&client=ms-android-verizon&site=webhp#q=where+Rhaegar+Lyanna+abduct+site:asoiaf.westeros.org

Could anyone help me find the post where it was said that TPATQ (and thus most likely also TRP) had already been written a few years ago, and thus did not slow down WOW? I believe Ran said it somewhere..

They signed the deal to make the worldbook in 2006.

Elio and Linda went through all the published novels, the Dunk & Egg stories, etc, pulled out the historical references, legends, and such, organized all of that into a chronology, and wrote a first draft. Then I stepped in, revising their draft, filling the holes, answering questions, resolving contradictions, and adding new material where little or none existed in the published books. Of course, as with the novels, "the tale(s) grew in the telling," and I ended up adding a LOT... so much that in the end we had to rip out more than two hundred thousand words of it (which will eventually appear in the GRRMarillion). In the cases where I wrote way, way, way too much, Elio and Linda then went back in and produced a severely abridged version.

For instance, the full account of the Dance of the Dragons ran to 80,000 words, a novel all by itself. Gardner Dozois trimmed that to 30,000 words for DANGEROUS WOMEN, producing "The Princess and the Queen." Elio and Linda produced an entirely DIFFERENT abridgement (even shorter, I believe) for THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE, working from the same text. For the full version, you will need to wait...

http://grrm.livejournal.com/372179.html?thread=19141587#t19141587

I don't know exactly when he wrote the 200,000+ words for Fire and Blood, but it could have been before Dance came out. I'm sure writing all that delayed the series a little, but it's probably good that he fleshed out the history sooner rather than later, less retroactive continuity stuff. Also by releasing The Princess and The Queen in Dangerous Women instead of dropping everything to write the next Dunk & Egg story he saved a lot of time.

Here's a post about how fact checking for the app did not delay Winds, on the off chance that this is what you were thinking of:

So the official George and his publisher approved World of Ice and Fire app is available. I can attest to the fact that he personally worked on this project, because I sat and took notes as we went over hundreds of questions on random Ice and Fire arcana. No, it didn't delay Winds of Winter. I made him do it while he ate lunch. Yes, he complains when I make him work during lunch.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/301556.html?thread=16912628

Anyone think the Kingslyer will become the Kingmaker in the end of the series?

He's already made two Kings ;)

Seriously, he might already be the Kingmaker. Every King he has supported has sat the IT from Aerys to Tommen.

They signed the deal to make the worldbook in 2006.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/372179.html?thread=19141587#t19141587

I don't know exactly when he wrote the 200,000+ words for Fire and Blood, but it could have been before Dance came out. I'm sure writing all that delayed the series a little, but it's probably good that he fleshed out the history sooner rather than later, less retroactive continuity stuff. Also by releasing The Princess and The Queen in Dangerous Women instead of dropping everything to write the next Dunk & Egg story he saved a lot of time.

Here's a post about how fact checking for the app did not delay Winds, on the off chance that this is what you were thinking of:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/301556.html?thread=16912628

Archived