Small questions v. 10085

Jon Weirgaryen

Wouldn't Arya face some discipline from her FM guild for killing Raff, if they found out?

Did she face any for killing Dareon? I think they may have actually advanced her for that one. Though it may have seemed to the reader like a punishment at the end of her chapters in Feast.

Probably. We'll see that in Winds.

She's really going be sore getting through that list. It's wishful thinking that a skilled group like the FM won't find out about any of them. I think she was blinded for months for killing Daereon. They're probably going to start kicking her ass next.

How mistaken exactly is the Known World Map? It is a rectangular map of over 50 million square miles. There must be greeat deterioration.

The world is 1 1/3 the size of earth so that is roughly 33k around. The wall is 300 miles and on the world map it is 1.5". The total map is roughly 23" by 35", or 15.333k miles by 23.333k miles. However we cannot say for sure where the equator is. I'm inclined to think that its somewhere between the bottom line of the map and the bottom of Valyria, meaning the map would almost entirely/entirely represent the northern hemisphere. Add to that what appear to be ice flows all along the top of the map and I think we can reasonably say that the north pole/ heart of winter is between 1.2k and 2k miles from the top of the map. Take form that what you will, but I think it means that it is mainly just the northern ocean that would be distorted.

Wouldn't Arya face some discipline from her FM guild for killing Raff, if they found out?

It has been speculated that she may have had a mission to kill one of the Westerosi party to cause tension between the iron bank and the iron throne now thatthey have thrown in with Stannis since she knew that she was going to "die" when she first got up

Should this question have been in spoiler tags? Since this is not the WOW thread, or have the gift chapters been out there long enough to assume everyone has read them now?

The world is 1 1/3 the size of earth so that is roughly 33k around. The wall is 300 miles and on the world map it is 1.5". The total map is roughly 23" by 35", or 15.333k miles by 23.333k miles. However we cannot say for sure where the equator is. I'm inclined to think that its somewhere between the bottom line of the map and the bottom of Valyria, meaning the map would almost entirely/entirely represent the northern hemisphere. Add to that what appear to be ice flows all along the top of the map and I think we can reasonably say that the north pole/ heart of winter is between 1.2k and 2k miles from the top of the map. Take form that what you will, but I think it means that it is mainly just the northern ocean that would be distorted.

Where did these numbers came from? There was another thread where this topic recently came up, and it would be useful to have a source for this kind of stuf :)

Wonderful stuff aryagonnakill. Fwiw though (to whoever asked the question) GRRM has said himself that he is vague with things like distances etc. and time taken to travel and whatnot, because he doesn't expect people to get out rulers and whatnot to check.

ETA: Rhaenys, with sample chapters, how does the spoiler policy work? I assumed they were treated as spoilers until all of the book material was released and three months had passed? Or is it three months from the sample being published?

ETA: Rhaenys, with sample chapters, how does the spoiler policy work? I assumed they were treated as spoilers until all of the book material was released and three months had passed? Or is it three months from the sample being published?

Oi, yeah, you are right. When typing, I didn't realise it was a sample chapter we were talking about. Those are part of Winds, and remain spoiler until three months after Winds has been released.

Unless it is on a thread dedicated to that chapter, of course.

I should have specified that..

Is it mentioned anywhere what happened to the iron coin that Jaqen H'ghar gave Arya? I know she shows it to the Kindly Man and the waif when she first arrives at the temple and she says they look at it but do not take it. Later, when she is giving up all her possessions (except Needle), she lists everything she throws into the water and the coin isn't mentioned. I was wondering if she still has it.

I think the FM are on a campaign to kill Lannister soldiers to scare the Iron Throne into paying what is owed to them. Her mission was probably to kill a Lannister soldier and got lucky with the opportunity to kill Raff.

I think the FM are on a campaign to kill Lannister soldiers to scare the Iron Throne into paying what is owed to them. Her mission was probably to kill a Lannister soldier and got lucky with the opportunity to kill Raff.

The Iron Throne owes the Iron Bank money, not the Faceless Men. People have theorized that there may be a connection between the two organizations, but we have no evidence that I'm aware of. I don't rule out that the Iron Bank may have employed the Faceless Men from time to time. It does make you wonder what the Faceless Men would demand as payment from a bank.

Edit: also she was training as a mummer, not on an assignment. How would a footsoldier like Raff running off with a woman and never coming back intimidate the Lannisters into paying the Iron Bank?

The Iron Throne owes the Iron Bank money, not the Faceless Men. People have theorized that there may be a connection between the two organizations, but we have no evidence that I'm aware of. I don't rule out that the Iron Bank may have employed the Faceless Men from time to time. It does make you wonder what the Faceless Men would demand as payment from a bank.

Edit: also she was training as a mummer, not on an assignment. How would a footsoldier like Raff running off with a woman and never coming back intimidate the Lannisters into paying the Iron Bank?

It wouldn't intimidate them at all :p ;) it won't have been the first time a soldier goes off with a girl and doesn't return, or ends up death.. Ran into trouble on the street, got robbed and the robbery got out of hand.. those king of things, especially in Braavos (where carrying your blade where people can see is a provocation on its own), won't be uncommon.

On the other hand, I would love to read something like this in one of Cersei's Winds chapters:

"Cersei read the letter twice and still refused to believe it. Somehow she had held the realm together through the deaths of her son, her father, and uncle Kevan. But for what? If Raff the Sweetling was truly dead, she knew in her heart that all was finally lost."

On the other hand, I would love to read something like this in one of Cersei's Winds chapters:

"Cersei read the letter twice and still refused to believe it. Somehow she had held the realm together through the deaths of her son, her father, and uncle Kevan. But for what? If Raff the Sweetling was truly dead, she knew in her heart that all was finally lost."

:lol:

It has been speculated that she may have had a mission to kill one of the Westerosi party to cause tension between the iron bank and the iron throne now thatthey have thrown in with Stannis since she knew that she was going to "die" when she first got up

Should this question have been in spoiler tags? Since this is not the WOW thread, or have the gift chapters been out there long enough to assume everyone has read them now?

Tags are proper for all Winds spoiler chapters.

Damn, I'm gonna hafta read that one again.

Where did these numbers came from? There was another thread where this topic recently came up, and it would be useful to have a source for this kind of stuf :)

Well the earth is roughly 25 thousand miles around, a little bit less. So 1 and 1/3 comes out to roughly 33 thousand miles. From there it was just measuring the known world map with a ruler with the wall as my reference. 300 miles = 1.5 inches.

Edited for clarity

We don't know how long that specific winter had lasted, but it wasn't the previous one ;)

Perhaps this gives you an idea: the summer has lasted ten years, two months and sixteen days, and ends rather early in 299AC. This means that the summer began in the last few weeks of 288AC.

Tyrion Lannister was born in 272AC or 273AC, in the middle of "a cruel winter" that lasted three years. Say he was born in 273AC (as he was ten years old in 283). Than he winter of his birth would have ended in 274AC.

Tyrion has lived through 9 winters, when asked the question during the ten year long summer. The winter of his birth was the first of those 9, showing that between 274AC and 288AC, eight more summers and winters occurred (and thus also eight more springs and autumns). The only thing we know further is that 281 will thus actually have been winter (and probably 280AC as well). Further, we don't know about the seasons.

Now, if you start to calculate with this,you'll end up with rather short seasons. So I'm guessing that the remark of Tyrion having lived through 9 winters was a mistake, or the springs and autumns usually don't last that long.

The autumn after the ten year summer, btw, lasted about a year and a half.

Thanks for the info RT. I hadn't picked up on what Tyrion said, but the numbers are strange. It amounts to one-year winters and one-year summers almost every other year, and that's counting out autumn and spring. I always thought the seasons were two or three years in duration, at least. Don't know what gave me that impression. Probably the whole sweet child of summer thing, granted the last summer was very long. But ten times longer than the norm if what Tyrion said is right? Doesn't really add up to me.

Archived