Small questions v. 10085

Jon Weirgaryen

A trivial detail: In GoT page 151 when they had the meeting regarding Joffrey, Arya and Sansa and their quarrel and when Cersei called Robert a cheapskate, what does Robert exactly mean by "That would be a fine trick without a wolf?" I don't see how it connects to their statements before and after it. Does it carry a hidden meaning? Why does Cersei rejoice with that "We have a wolf?" I can see Robert is ignorant but how can she be so sure he cannot deny the execution of Sansa's direwolf?

A trivial detail: In GoT page 151 when they had the meeting regarding Joffrey, Arya and Sansa and their quarrel and when Cersei called Robert a cheapskate, what does Robert exactly mean by "That would be a fine trick without a wolf?" I don't see how it connects to their statements before and after it. Does it carry a hidden meaning? Why does Cersei rejoice with that "We have a wolf?" I can see Robert is ignorant but how can she be so sure he cannot deny the execution of Sansa's direwolf?

This part?

The queen regarded him coolly. “I had not thought you so niggardly. The king I’d thought to wed would have laid a wolfskin across my bed before the sun went down.”

Robert’s face darkened with anger. “That would be a fine trick, without a wolf.”

It is Robert suggesting that Cersei does not welcome him to her bed, or that is how I read it at least.

As for "We have a wolf" it is Cersei saying she doesn't care whether its the wolf that savaged her son who is killed, so long as a wolf is killed

Yeah, I got that ;) but where did the 1 1/3 came from? Did Ran state that somewhere once or something?

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/03/how-big-is-the-planet-that-westeros-is-on

Georges statement is not in the article I linked, but the beginning of the article does sum up my memory and experience of it. GRRM references another works big earth and said roughly 1 and 1/3. maybe someone else can help find it.

Not really a small question, but I don't know if it's worthy for a thread. Craster tells the NW where they could find the wildlings (Frostfangs), while he is fully aware that one of them crows might get caught and tell that he gave them the whereabouts (which happens - Jon gets caught and does kind of tell). Why is Craster not afraid of an eventual revenge, like Tormund suggests. Does he think the Others would protect him?

Another language-related question: in the first chapter Bran compares physical appearance of Jon and Robb, and Jon's description includes "slender, dark, graceful and quick", while Robb's includes "muscular, fair, strong and fast". I was wondering what's the difference between "quick" and "fast" in this case. These words are supposed to be synonyms, aren't they?

The full quote: "... they didn't look alike. Jon was slender where Robb was muscular, dark where Robb was fair, graceful and quick where his half brother was strong and fast".

Another language-related question: in the first chapter Bran compares physical appearance of Jon and Robb, and Jon's description includes "slender, dark, graceful and quick", while Robb's includes "muscular, fair, strong and fast". I was wondering what's the difference between "quick" and "fast" in this case. These words are supposed to be synonyms, aren't they?

The full quote: "... they didn't look alike. Jon was slender where Robb was muscular, dark where Robb was fair, graceful and quick where his half brother was strong and fast".

I take it more as not wanting to use the same word twice but I guess quick could refer to movements and fast to actual speed?

Not a native myself, but had a lot of practice with English, and while words are synonyms, they can have slightly different implications. Quick, I think, is more like rapid, quick reactions, quick reflexes, something short-term so to say, while fast is consistent and more long term. For instance, you can quickly draw your blade and make a quick surprise attack, but if you do ten quick attacks that your opponent barely deflects, you're fast.

Something like - quick is when you change from one state to another for a short period of time, while fast is while you're consistently doing something for a shorter period of time than most people.

I'm assuming you play or follow soccer. A goalie who reacts well to a shot on goal is quick. A winger that moves the ball all the way down the opponent's side of the pitch on a counter attack is fast.

Is it confirmed anywhere that Ser Harlan Grandison's conveniently-timed death was indeed due to natural causes, or is it thought that he had "help"?

It is nowhere suggested that he had help. He had died in his sleep, at an old age. We don't know the exact time of his death. A replacement for him was needed directly after the Kingswood Brotherhood had been defeated, but I find it a bit unlikely that if Grandison had died around the time the KG had set out to defeat the brotherhood, Aerys would have waited a few months before chosing a replacement.

However, it is possible that Grandison, if he indeed went with the other KG (minus Gerold Hightower) to fight the brotherhood, got injured during the fighting, which helped speed up his death.

But there is nothing to point in that direction, and it's all speculation. The books only state that Grandison died in his sleep, and as I said, nothing in text suggests that Grandison was "helped" in dying.

I guess quick could refer to movements and fast to actual speed

Quick, I think, is more like rapid, quick reactions, quick reflexes, something short-term so to say, while fast is consistent and more long term.

A goalie who reacts well to a shot on goal is quick. A winger that moves the ball all the way down the opponent's side of the pitch on a counter attack is fast.

Thanks everyone, it actually helps a lot, and I mean a lot :bowdown: .

Not really a small question, but I don't know if it's worthy for a thread. Craster tells the NW where they could find the wildlings (Frostfangs), while he is fully aware that one of them crows might get caught and tell that he gave them the whereabouts (which happens - Jon gets caught and does kind of tell). Why is Craster not afraid of an eventual revenge, like Tormund suggests. Does he think the Others would protect him?

I don't remember this part of the book well, but maybe Craster was also giving info on the NW to the wildlings :laugh: , so he felt that he was useful to both sides. Or maybe the location of the gathering was not such a big secret. Or maybe you are right about the Others :) . Sorry, I didn't get this far on my re-read yet, and I have only a vague recollection of this storyline.

Archived