ACROPHOBIA 7: Fan Theories - Game Over

Dany Lannister

It could be quite good to mix it up a bit. I wouldn't want to prevent you fine people from having your acrophobia fix though!

I'll wait for a few more opinions. If nobody has any objections I could post a new game thread next week. I could post the rules I've come up with on here and run them by you good people first and see if there are any ideas to improve them? I should be able to do that on Monday.

No I was really thinking I could start the acrophilia game if someone else hosted the new acrophobia.

I'm happy either way really.

I will be happy with an acrophilia by itself, an acrophobia by itself or the two running concurrently.

I missed it if somehow explained how the game of acrophilia differs from acrophobia?

I will be happy with an acrophilia by itself, an acrophobia by itself or the two running concurrently.

I missed it if somehow explained how the game of acrophilia differs from acrophobia?

If you look at the leftovers thread there is a basic rundown a page or so back. I've adapted it marginally since.

The basic idea is that an acronym is provided and everyone playing is given a different asoiaf character secretly to come up with a clue to using the acronym letters. Then everyone has to try and guess each character from each clue. A point is given for a correct identification to both the creator and the guesser.

I don't know how well it will work. I'm not at home till Monday so I won't have access to the whole rule set I came up with until then.

If you look at the leftovers thread there is a basic rundown a page or so back. I've adapted it marginally since.

The basic idea is that an acronym is provided and everyone playing is given a different asoiaf character secretly to come up with a clue to using the acronym letters. Then everyone has to try and guess each character from each clue. A point is given for a correct identification to both the creator and the guesser.

I don't know how well it will work. I'm not at home till Monday so I won't have access to the whole rule set I came up with until then.

Ok that sounds interesting, I take it everyone posts their clues on the message board and the guesses will be PM'd to avoid copying?

I would definitely be up for playing :-)

I like the sound of that, and I don't see why we can't run an acrophobia game alongside it?

Ok that sounds interesting, I take it everyone posts their clues on the message board and the guesses will be PM'd to avoid copying?

I would definitely be up for playing :-)

This is an issue I've been struggling with. I had thought it would be best to have the clues pm'd to the host as well as the guesses but that would leave little group participation on the thread itself. I was worried there might become an issue with everyone posting their own clues but I haven't thought it through thoroughly.

An element I could add is that the guesser receives an extra point for correctly guessing who came up with the clue? Or it could be a gamble whereby guessing the creator means giving the creator an extra point if you get it wrong?

This is an issue I've been struggling with. I had thought it would be best to have the clues pm'd to the host as well as the guesses but that would leave little group participation on the thread itself. I was worried there might become an issue with everyone posting their own clues but I haven't thought it through thoroughly.An element I could add is that the guesser receives an extra point for correctly guessing who came up with the clue? Or it could be a gamble whereby guessing the creator means giving the creator an extra point if you get it wrong?

I think guessing the creator is fine, after a few rounds people migh recognise another's writing style enough to go for the extra point.

I really think guesses should be PMd so that correct answers can't be copied -not that I'm accusing anyone of being a cheat, but if you see someone else's guess and it makes sense then it would be logical to go for it, you might have come up with it yourself anyway. I don't think this will affect the social nature of the forum as people can talk about which they found easy/ difficult and discuss their own submissions/ guesses in the next round.

My main concern is that it might be too easy to earn points, since the scoring isn't opinion based and and there's a right answer for every clue, e.g. You're given Ned Stark, all you have to do is work beaheading into the clue and it's a dead giveaway. There's no encouragement for people to be more cryptic if points are scored by having people guess your answer correctly - you might as well go for the easy option.

Perhaps this could be avoided by giving more obscure characters or perhaps specific events carried out by certain characters. E.g. Letters: ACRCN - Jon beheads Janos Slynt, clue: Angry Crow Removes Coward's Noggin.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being negative, I actually think it's a great idea and could be really fun. :-D

Hey I just had another thought, if you do a specific theme for each round you could award a points bonus for guessing the theme correctly. You can reveal the theme along with the answers at the end of each round, the more entries you guess correctly, the better chance you have of guessing the theme...mind you it would mean quite a bit of work on your part, coming up with something for each player...like I said, just throwing some ideas in the pot.

Sorry for clogging the thread btw everyone, I'll post this in acrophobia leftovers next time.

No this is why I wanted to discuss it first. Some interesting ideas. I like the idea of a secret theme, something that links all the characters, so guessing the theme maybe earns an extra five points or so.

If philia is successful then we could alternate between philia and phobia. Playing both simultaneously would allow for whoever is hosting to host one and play the other though.

I do agree with leek- I think the entries will all be easy if people get a point if someone guesses the correct answer. Maybe for participating you get a point? Just like with phobia if you submit an entry you get a point....

I think if you want it to be fair/concerned about the score it will have to be done via PM. Guessing game is done out in the open and people copy :)

I do agree with leek- I think the entries will all be easy if people get a point if someone guesses the correct answer. Maybe for participating you get a point? Just like with phobia if you submit an entry you get a point....

I think if you want it to be fair/concerned about the score it will have to be done via PM. Guessing game is done out in the open and people copy :)

Just to explain, I suggested getting a point for people guessing the right answer because I wondered what would stop an entrant from being intentionally obscure or even downright nonsensical to stop people from getting it.

Just to explain, I suggested getting a point for people guessing the right answer because I wondered what would stop an entrant from being intentionally obscure or even downright nonsensical to stop people from getting it.

That's a good point too.

Archived