Character's not to be F*cked with - Top 3

So many to choose. Based on the last 3 series I have read for the first time:

1) Locke Lamora from the Gentleman Bastards by Lynch. Because he gets revenge, and will go big to do it. And if you hurt him so much that he can't, Jean will find you, and you may as well be dead

2) Kvothe in the flashback bits of the Kingkiller chronicles. Because he's saved from being a God Stu only by his personality based character flaws and awful luck, and he is not a merciful man.

3) Wit from The Stormlight Archive, because he is ridiculously close to being a god

Upthread when I saw someone had mentioned Rand al'Thor, I was a little sceptical. In the light of reading WoT, I think I'd actually like to add him to my list. It's hard to imagine a reasonably traditional protagonist filling out ''Not to be fucked with'', but he sure does.

Just watched The Big Lebowski for the first time, so I'm obligated to add Walter from that. Now I can truly appreciate the memes.

And as I also recently watched Jurassic Park, special mention to Timmy from that. Reasons are thus

1. Taunts a T-Rex then doesn't run away even when it stands on his car, crushing him inside.

2. Survives being thrown (inside a car) over a 50ft cliff into a tree

3. Doesn't even want to leave the car when given an opportunity of freedom.

4. Sees the T-Rex bullying some poor Gallimimus, goes back for Round 2.

5. Stands on a 10,000V electric fence because he's a fucking badass.

If we take Rand from the Gathering Storm, especially

Rorschach (Watchmen). Was locked in prison with thousands of inmates who wanted to hurt him. His response: “None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with YOU. You're locked up in here with ME.” When faced with compromising his morals or averting nuclear apocolypse, his answer is clear: “No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.”

It is best not to fuck with Roschach.

Uther Doul (The Scar). Has a probability sword which makes him virtually unstoppable, even in the face of projectile weapons. May or may not have instigated a multistage civil war, possibly with the use of probability magic.

It is best not to fuck with Uther Doul.

The Weaver (Perdido Street Station). I'm not entirely sure how one would go about fucking with a giant, utterly mad spider with the ability to teleport across space and dimensions. But if you ever get the chance, don't.

• 5 months later...

I'll add my two cents on the top 3.

Jason Bourne/Delta1 - Not when he's David Webb obviously...but when he 'channels' Delta 1/Jason Bourne.

Jack Reacher - Pure brute force with some cunning and detective skills.

John Carr (Oliver Stone) - David Baldacci's leader of the Camel Club. For some reason, I just fell in love with this series. It's an easy to read series but one of my favs. Although Oliver Stone (real name John Carr) is older and retired now, you still don't want to screw with him.

Honorable Mention

Spenser/Hawk - But only if you accept them as a team.

Will Robie - another of Baldacci's assassins...I enjoyed the short story where Will Robie & Oliver Stone met...guilty pleasures abound.

Bheemsen from Mahabharata. Slayer of Hidmva, Vaka, kirmira, Keechak, 100 brothers of Keechak, and 100 Kauravs. He took a vow to tear asunder the breast of second eldest Kaurav in midst of kaurav assembly and fulfilled his vow. Later, he washed Draupadi's hair with blood of his foes.

I wish i was in a forum where i could say 'Ban OP' unironically, so consider this ironic hyperbole in honor of the worst topic of the year so far.

Blame me for resurrecting this thread. It was several months buried. I was searching for a Jason Bourne thread since I have finally gotten around to reading the first two novels in Ludlum's original trilogy.

It's technically from last year.

Also what standards dictate which topic is considered the ''worst''?

I have seen some topics I would rank MUCH worse than this one!

And one thing I would suggest to the OP...I think there should be two different categories. One category for fiction...and another for fantasy fiction...as I don't know over half the characters mentioned in most lists. ASoIaF is the only fantasy fiction series I have ever read (besides the Hobbit in school). So I am assuming some of those names mentioned are in those types of series.

And one thing I would suggest to the OP...I think there should be two different categories. One category for fiction...and another for fantasy fiction...as I don't know over half the characters mentioned in most lists. ASoIaF is the only fantasy fiction series I have ever read (besides the Hobbit in school). So I am assuming some of those names mentioned are in those types of series.

Ohhhh my new friend... The adventures that await you in the recommendation threads! I had read other fantasy fiction before discovering this sub forum; but now I get all my recommendations here and it has never steered me wrong.

Judge Dredd- enhanced human, unwavering sense of justice. Doesn't negotiate or care if he dies in the process.

Marlo/Chris- The Wire- maybe not the coolest characters around((or even best in the show)) but most of their time on screen is either killing someone, messing with the cops, or planning something.

Omar- The Wire- rigid code that he follows to a tee while still being one of the most feared on the streets.

Heisenberg- BrBa- It took a lot of effort for anyone to get over on him. Everyone else either bent or disappeared

Jack Reacher- strong moral code and strong physique combined with a smart detective brain makes him someone you don't want to mess with as the bad guy.

Kindly Old Man- ASOIAF- This guy controls and trains all of the faceless men, even though it's all based on his devotion to his religion I feel this is the last guy you'd want to double cross in the realm.

Archived