214 replies to this topic

#1 Maester Llama

Maester Llama

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:35 PM

This series is based on a series of vampire thrillers Del Toro coauthored with a writer named Chuck Hogan a few years back. I'm told the books are deeply unexceptional, but they sound like they might lend themselves well to the more macabre side of Del Toro's film-making style. First season is 13 episodes, and starts on FX on Sunday July 13th, which is tonight as I write this. Looks pleasingly gross and disquieting. I have hopes. This is one of two semi-sf shows I'm looking forward to trying in the coming days, Extant being the other.

It surprises me we don't already have a thread about this, given Del Toro's popularity, so if I've missed one my apologies.

Of note: Del Toro directed the pilot for The Strain himself, and a set visit article I was reading earlier claims that he's also directed some individual sequences in subsequent episodes that particularly strike him. Apparently he's also made his presence and oversight felt on set fairly regularly -- Del Toro was shooting a big haunted house movie, Crimson Peak, during production on The Strain, limiting his availability, but he was shooting it in Toronto, which is also where The Strain was filmed, making it possible for him to be directly involved day-to-day to some degree.

Thoughts from those who've seen it? Is it the good shit?

#2 Corvinus

Corvinus

battle war master supreme commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:48 PM

I liked it. You can definitely feel Del Toro's mark on it. Did not shy away from gore when needed. 

Also, since the main character seems to be a CDC officer, I wonder how they will combine science with fantasy. And Bradley (Mr. Filch, Walder Frey) is pretty good in it.

#3 Tears of Lys

Tears of Lys

No crying, only whining

• Members
  • 13,270 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:07 PM

I mistakenly caught the very end of the first episode. :( But on the brighter side, I'm watching it from the beginning right now. What I've seen so far is pretty good - good enough to keep me awake on a Sunday night when I should be in bed.

ETA: Is that Sean Astin?

ETA2: Yep, it is.

Edited by Tears of Lys, 13 July 2014 - 11:35 PM.

#4 The Great Unwashed

The Great Unwashed

SJP - dropping bombs of equality...and love

• Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

I definitely liked the first episode and will be juggling this show with The Leftovers and This Week Tonight With John Oliver on Sunday nights.  del Toro definitely knows how to build up tension, and the macabre elements of the story are definitely right in his wheelhouse.  It was nice to see David Bradley (I had no idea he had been cast in the series) playing something of a badass and its always nice to see Sean Astin on the screen.

The previews of upcoming episodes makes it look like they're really going to amp up the action, but I'm hoping they were just showing the most explosive scenes to keep people interested who may have otherwise been fidgety about the pacing of the first episode.  I personally liked the pacing, and the slow ratcheting up of the tension.

So I'm wondering about a couple of things (and please no spoilers from the books, just posting these for discussion purposes):

Spoiler

#5 Corvinus

Corvinus

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

I definitely liked the first episode and will be juggling this show with The Leftovers and This Week Tonight With John Oliver on Sunday nights.  del Toro definitely knows how to build up tension, and the macabre elements of the story are definitely right in his wheelhouse.  It was nice to see David Bradley (I had no idea he had been cast in the series) playing something of a badass and its always nice to see Sean Astin on the screen.

The previews of upcoming episodes makes it look like they're really going to amp up the action, but I'm hoping they were just showing the most explosive scenes to keep people interested who may have otherwise been fidgety about the pacing of the first episode.  I personally liked the pacing, and the slow ratcheting up of the tension.

So I'm wondering about a couple of things (and please no spoilers from the books, just posting these for discussion purposes):

Spoiler

Judging by the previews, and that the old man said all the people on the plane must be destroyed, dead or alive, I would say the 4 survivors may be just as dangerous, if not even more dangerous, than the dead guys.

#6 Commodore

Commodore

random idiot

• Members
  • 7,011 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

so this show has zombies, parasites, and a teleporting vampire demon

it's all very confusing

#7 The Great Unwashed

The Great Unwashed

SJP - dropping bombs of equality...and love

• Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

Judging by the previews, and that the old man said all the people on the plane must be destroyed, dead or alive, I would say the 4 survivors may be just as dangerous, if not even more dangerous, than the dead guys.

I must have missed that part about Abraham saying that everyone on the plane must be destroyed.

#8 red snow

red snow

Prince of Procrastination

• Members
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

so this show has zombies, parasites, and a teleporting vampire demon

it's all very confusing

That's mild by American Horror story standards :P

One of the few things I liked about the book was how it ties zombies,vampires and parasites together (it doesn't solve the teleporting demon thing, which i can't fully recall). To be honest the ideas are great - it was the execution that sucked. So still optimistic for the show - will give it a whirl tomorrow when I have time.

#9 Tears of Lys

Tears of Lys

No crying, only whining

• Members
  • 13,270 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 Relic

Relic

White Knight of High House Social Justice

• Members
  • 24,173 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

opps

Edited by Relic, 14 July 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#11 Corvinus

Corvinus

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

Spoiler

You got one wrong

Spoiler

Edited by Corvinus, 14 July 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#12 Tears of Lys

Tears of Lys

No crying, only whining

• Members
  • 13,270 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

The little girl broke my heart. del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth did the same thing to me.

Spoiler

Edited by Tears of Lys, 14 July 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#13 sertravisredbeard

sertravisredbeard

Council Member

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

Yeah that lawyer lady was funny.  This looked pretty interesting and I'll probably keep watching.  Not familiar with the source material but I might go get the book if the show stays good.

Plus, my last name is Strain.  When I first saw the commercial during the Super Bowl I was like "Yeah jokers it's about time there's a show about me!" but no one at the party I was at was paying attention so I probably sounded silly.

#14 AncalagonTheBlack

AncalagonTheBlack

Council Member

• Members
  • 939 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

It surprises me we don't already have a thread about this, given Del Toro's popularity, so if I've missed one my apologies.

hah,we do,in fact you were the last to comment in it  :P

http://asoiaf.wester...strain-tv-show/

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack, 14 July 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#15 Myrddin

Myrddin

Master of Stairway Wit

• Members
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

Haven't seen the show, but at first glance, this thread title is misleading.

Del Toro's Strain on FX = too many special effects?

:D

Ahem. Sorry.

#16 Maester Llama

Maester Llama

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

Huh, so we do! I must not have gone through the search results carefully enough. And ... yep, there's my post in that previous Strain thread, which I of course now absolutely remember making, and now I feel dumb. Sorry for thread duplication!

And my thoughts have not changed since I made that post: I still wanna see Walder Frey beat the living fuck out of vampires with a cane. Hoping to sit down with some shows in a day or two. Glad to hear it's promising.

I'm not at all sure how I feel about Samwise Gamgee working for the CDC to counter a vampire insurgency in New York. I mean, I'm certain he's up to the challenge, but I'll have to work hard to quash my expectation that he'll start shouting "Mister Frodo!" in stressful situations, and talk about gardening a lot.

#17 Tears of Lys

Tears of Lys

No crying, only whining

• Members
  • 13,270 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

hah,we do,in fact you were the last to comment in it  :P

http://asoiaf.wester...strain-tv-show/

The thread referenced above is loaded with spoilers, so if anyone is watching the Strain and doesn't want to be spoiled, you've been warned.

#18 Tears of Lys

Tears of Lys

No crying, only whining

• Members
  • 13,270 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

I'm not at all sure how I feel about Samwise Gamgee working for the CDC to counter a vampire insurgency in New York. I mean, I'm certain he's up to the challenge, but I'll have to work hard to quash my expectation that he'll start shouting "Mister Frodo!" in stressful situations, and talk about gardening a lot.

Spoiler

#19 denstorebog

denstorebog

?

• Members
  • 6,431 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

In 2006, del Toro pitched The Strain as a television series, but negotiations broke down when the network president at Fox Broadcasting Company asked him to make it a comedy.

Yeah, given the nature of the pilot, I can see how that suggestion would ... strain their relationship.

#20 AndyBaelish

AndyBaelish

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

Yeah, given the nature of the pilot, I can see how that suggestion would ... strain their relationship.

... I can't decide whether to applaud or openly weep.

Reply to this topic