ANXIETY

yeah, I like my own space at times but not being around people for long periods of time just makes me feel lonely and horrible. Just getting out of the house and to the shop helps.

I know exactly how you feel. I just got back to work after two weeks of being off and I was miserable it made meI feel like I have the Stockholm syndrome. The few times I got out were amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Get a sweet robot arm (that shoots lasers).

Or just force yourself into social situations until you get used to it. Fake it until you make it.

faking it till you make it has got me through so much. And use baby steps. Ease yourself through the hard situations

• 3 weeks later...

I actually wanted to start a new thread but this one seemed worthy of a revival. My own problem is not anxiety but severe depression, Major Depression Disorder to be exact. I've been trying this new medication (my doctor and I are still trying to find the right one I guess) but it just makes me sleepy and constipated (I've come to learn the TV ads lied to me, it's not a problem that only plagues women). Other main side effects include the following:

• I don't enjoy reading as much as I used to; I grow impatient.
  • I suddenly crave meat (been a vegetarian 4 years and never craved it before this medication)
  • Loss of appetite
  • Always exhausted
  • Frequent headaches
  • I had insomnia in the beginning but not so much now

I guess I'm asking if anyone has dealt with depression or knows someone who has and has suggestions. (I'm starting yoga today in hopes it will help, so that's already covered. I also want to start jogging since that's helped in the past but only for a while).

Your help would be much appreciated.

I actually wanted to start a new thread but this one seemed worthy of a revival. My own problem is not anxiety but severe depression, Major Depression Disorder to be exact. I've been trying this new medication (my doctor an I are still trying to find the right one I guess) but it just makes me sleepy and constipated (I've come to learn the TV ads lied to me, it's not a problem that only plagues women). Other main side effects include the following:

• I don't enjoy reading as much as I used to; I grow impatient.

I suddenly crave meat (been a vegetarian 4 years and never craved it before this medication)

Loss of appetite

Always exhausted

Frequent headaches

I had insomnia in the beginning but not so much now

I guess I'm asking if anyone has dealt with depression or knows someone who has and has suggestions. (I'm starting yoga today in hopes it will help, so that's already covered. I also want to start jogging since that's helped in the past but only for a while).

Your help would be much appreciated.

I wish I could help you...I have been suffering for years now..

I tried a lot of pills..none of them did work for me, the side effects have been worse than benefits.

Only prozac worked, I felt really good..the problem was I could stay awake only a few hours a day, but in that hours I felt good :)

This is my experience, I believe most people do have benefits from them but form me: never again, never.

What id works a little for me is exercise, extenuating exercise. It is not oly the endorphine I believe, but I coyuldn't explain why it works.

I tried yoga too, it helps of course.

I personally didn't find anything that helps really really much..

When I feel better then "things" can help ( walks in the nature, exercise, yoga etc).

When I feel worse nothing can help.

I wish you well :grouphug:

I tried a lot of pills..none of them did work for me, the side effects have been worse than benefits.

Only prozac worked, I felt really good..the problem was I could stay awake only a few hours a day, but in that hours I felt good :)

This is my experience, I believe most people do have benefits from them but form me: never again, never.

What id works a little for me is exercise, extenuating exercise. It is not oly the endorphine I believe, but I coyuldn't explain why it works.

When I feel better then "things" can help ( walks in the nature, exercise, yoga etc).

Thanks a lot. Prozac doesn't really help either. I used to write a lot but since I started with this medication I haven't really done much...actually, nothing to be honest. I find that I just don't care anymore...and then I realise I don't care about the not caring because I'm just way to high to actually care...

I'll try the walks. Sometimes hiking helps me but I haven't done that in a while. But I'll start with the walks. Thanks for your response again.

I've had pretty a well documented battle with depression going on with me for a while now. I would say the thing that is helping me most is having a medium to just vent, mostly uncensored. I use this forums gen chat for that purpose.

I've also intentionally overindulged in personal interests because they make me happy. It's how I got myself on a streak of consecutive happy days until I felt good enough to deal with some of the issues causing my severe depression. Suicidal thoughts for me these days are few in and far between, whereas a few months ago, it's every day. That helped me. Good luck with it all and if you need a nonjudgmental ear to talk to, reach out to me. I'm rooting for you to overcome this.

Yes I also used to have a lot of interests, read a lot of books, but afterwards is has become harder and harder to concentrate and when I felle bad it goest to the extend of finding it difficult even to read the titles on the paper.

And I understand you perfectly, I don't care to do anything, even things that I used to like, nothing at all, and I don't even care trying to be better, shortly , often I feel like you, I understand perfectly well.

You shoud try some exercise when you are not so bad.. sometimes i Iforce myself to go out running then I stop e few KM away wondering why I ever went out of home, then coming back is an agony..

And last, perfectly agree with LFitA..try and talk with people who understand you without judging. Many persons just don't understand what this is about, they will say to try and look at the bright side of life etc which of course is of no use at all...

I wish I could do more..

I hope better days will come soon for you, they will!

The really horrible thing about depression is that it stops you from even being able to do some of the things that would make you feel better. Honestly, when you hit a normal mood or high mood that isn't an extreme low mood or simply a low mood use it to make yourself a meal plan where you'll eat good food, try to sort out a decent sleeping pattern, take a nice walk, clean the house so you're not living in mess, honestly just do anything that might make life easier for you when you have the energy to do it. Have been in a really low mood the past week or so where it's hard to regulate a sleeping pattern which isnt me going to bed in the early hours of the morning and waking up near the afternoon, i can't read for fun atm either and i can barely do household chores because that exhausts me so i completely understand not caring, just realise our sleeping patterns, what we eat and our environment can really help our moods so when you feel a little better, eat something really tasty and healthy, sleep better, anything that might make it easier for you to get out of a perpetual low mood. If you ever need to PM anyone feel free to message me. :) i am sorry i can not help you more - i have been depressed or have had a low mood for years with periods of "normal" moods and mild highs but have never seen a doctor about it because im either too tired, apathetic or scared of what theyll say; so feel proud of your self that you've even seeked help, seriously.

On a more serious note though, I know this'll sound trite but for confidence and low mood issues, I found exercise to be really good.

I've been working out steadily for the last two years and its done wonders for my confidence. I know it sounds bad and vain and superficial but noticing your body develop and get into better shape and noticing sharp increases in my physical strength has given me a huge confidence boost and thinking back to how I was, there is a huge difference.

I find the exercise itself very stress-relieving too and I feel a lot better whenever I've been to the gym and the next day when your muscles are all tingly, so you don't necessarily have to bulk up or anything if thats not your thing :P

I'm too tired and lack the energy to even sign up to the gym and go in the first place. Between work, full time uni and my recurring low moods i don't have much energy for anything as pathetic as that sounds. Jogging is definitely something i am going to take up when im feeling better though. I used to be really athletic and was a great runner so look forward to being able to do that when i eventually ask for my work hours to be reduced.

My advice was more just do little things when you feel like it which will make it a lot easier to build up to bigger things like regularly going to the gym which would be a massive effort for me lol. It took me two years to finally sign up to the GP. Appointment next. Baby steps lol.

Its not pathetic, work and uni are pretty exhausting as it is... and thats even if you like your work and your uni, its a far worse story if you dont :/

That sucks though, I've never felt so low as to lack so much energy in the past, so I'm probably not the best guy to dole out advice on the matter.. I'd probably just come across as condescending or something.. you know something along these lines:

"There, there... now, now.. cheer up, it'll be alright.. I'll make you a cup of tea, that'll do the trick"

If the little steps method is helping you though, then go for it. Plus, with work and uni, sounds like you have your hands full, so really don't feel bad if you feel like you're struggling to do other things. Uni's stressful as it is :)

I tried walking. Gyms are expensive, time-consuming, and sometimes fear-inducing. As a "bigger" woman, I feel uncomfortable entering a gym. But walking has helped me a lot. I haven't had much time recently, but finding a nice spot to walk around does wonders.

I'm pretty socially awkward, but I've been faking it for so long, I can usually slip into any situation. The manager at the cafe I just started working at described me as bubbly and chirpy. I would never describe myself as those things, but I can be them if I need to be.

It does help to fake it, and to attempt to be as honest as possible. Saying to someone, "I'm a little nervous about X/Y/Z" can be a good thing. Most people will try to reassure you. "Oh don't worry, I was so nervous at first, you'll be fine" was the response I got when I did a trial shift on Sunday. And I was. I try to imagine the worst case scenario, and anything else is a bonus. Slightly pessimistic, but it can work. I still go away wondering what people thought, did they like me, was I a total fool, etc., but I've forced myself to grab any opportunity. Whenever I interview authors in person, I am nervous as all hell. I just *know* they're going to think I'm an idiot, and hate me. But as far as I know, none of them have said anything of the sort, and so I'm blissfully ignorant of their opinion of me.

Myke Cole said two things at an event I went to last month that really resonated with me. First, "do what scares you". And second, "the sea doesn't care about you", which is utterly terrifying, but absolutely true. Be yourself, try your hardest, grab opportunities, and try not to worry too much about what people think. :)

Cheers :) you don't sound condescending at all.

sorry did not mean to hi-jack thread i just wanted to say to kyoshi it's okay if you have to take little steps too. Little things like a tidy house (not even spotless, just not ridiculously messy) having a nice healthy big smoothie, waking up early and showering before midday - all these little things add up to help you feel better and able to tackle bigger things, at least that is how it works for me. :)

Or having a shave if you're a bloke, unless you like having a beard... in which case, wash it.. with shampoo of the Elemis variety and then condition it. Even if it isn't that long. It would amuse me.

If it is long, then straighten it with some straightener tong things.. so it goes all swishy and would blow about in the wind.

(I'm starting yoga today in hopes it will help, so that's already covered. I also want to start jogging since that's helped in the past but only for a while).

That helped me a lot. I generally don't have much time to hit the gym, what with university and studying taking up most of that time. But 30 minutes of Yoga in the morning really helped me out. I've stopped since then, but I will be getting back into it fairly quickly.

It's also a good option if you don't have a lot of time on your hands, you really only need a yoga mat, which are rather inexpensive here and a bit of time before you start the day. I essentially started out with getting on Youtube and trying out one of those introductory yoga videos.

Glad you got some help, doing that is difficult. I hope you get better.

I'm too tired and lack the energy to even sign up to the gym and go in the first place. Between work, full time uni and my recurring low moods i don't have much energy for anything as pathetic as that sounds. Jogging is definitely something i am going to take up when im feeling better though. I used to be really athletic and was a great runner so look forward to being able to do that when i eventually ask for my work hours to be reduced.

My advice was more just do little things when you feel like it which will make it a lot easier to build up to bigger things like regularly going to the gym which would be a massive effort for me lol. It took me two years to finally sign up to the GP. Appointment next. Baby steps lol.

I have been doing similar stuff for almost 40 years. Just keep moving forward. :cheers:

This has been pretty much my experience. I've tried more meds than I can remember the names of, but either they were ineffective or the side effects were unbearable (or both).

I stopped almost 8 years ago and would rather settle for a merely adequate level of daily functioning than deal with the side effects again.

These days my therapy consists of routine (obligatory job and family stuff), forcing myself to go to the gym, and escape in the form of reading.

I wish you the best, Kyoshi. Hope you find something that works for you.

Archived