(f?)Aegon=Bad Writing

GreatGatsby

Character as a plot device is the very definition of bad writing. Thanks for making my point for me,

If you prefer, think if him as a vector for change. Don't worry about what he himself represents, but rather what he brings to the table as it relates to other characters and their own designs.

We have seen complete nobodies drop in out of the blue and change everything before without worrying about it. So why sweat it now?

I'll take that challenge, JonCon.

I'm Aegon Targaryen. I appear for the first time in book five as the long thought dead son of Prince Rhaegar and the rightful heir to the Iron Throne. I know, right? What a surprise! It's like I was just pulled from thin air! I spend much of the book traveling to Daenarys, but then I change my mind and go and invade Westeros without her. Sort of. No one important has noticed yet. See you in the next book!

I assume this is what you're referring to, Gatsby?

First off, contradiction. Aegon was mentioned since book one yet he is also pulled out of thin air? It can't be both ways. If Aegon had never been mentioned at all but then revealed, then you might have a case. But as it happens, even the shadow of Aegon's memory has influenced the plot well before book five. Have you ever heard of Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon? Ned was the Hand of the King and Robert was the King. Still with me, Gatsby? So they got into this argument because Robert wanted to kill Daenerys. She's the last Targaryen, the family that Ned and Robert overthrew. I know, it's a lot to take in. Try to keep up. So Ned and Robert disagree with killing a pregnant girl and Ned is against it. One of Ned's big motivating factors and defining character traits is that he was disgusted by the death of the Targaryen children. Did you ever read the third book? There's this pretty great scene between Prince Oberyn Martell and Gregor Clegane. As it turns out, Oberyn is in large part motivated by the deaths of his sister Elia and her children, the Targaryens who were killed by Gregor.

Second, no one important has noticed? Kevan and the whole small council noticed. They are/were the ones running King's Landing at the time. They are very important. This reviewer, and you, are very selective in who they consider important. Thinking that the ruling Lords behind the current King on the Iron Throne aren't important is a blatant mistake. The whole epilogue is basically about Aegon's arrival.

Do yourself a favor and stop putting stock into amazon reviews. If there's a like button, it will be clicked, regardless of website. That does not make the idiot who wrote this review right or valid.

The fact that something strange was going on with Varys and Illyrio was known in GOT when Arya listened to their conversation in the Red Keep. FAegon is an explanation of their weird behavior. And with Aegon being unrecognizable, the fact that someone would appear claiming that he is Aegon is very logical.

It's not so much about fAegon ,this is about Varys... This is his play. Baelish starts to spread his Mockingbird wings in AFFC and Varys does the same here, in Dance. I don't see why it's bad writing, since we knew... KNEW, he had something up his sleeve. the kid is a fake , but the play for the I.T. that Varys was looking at in Season 4 of the show, with Prince Oberyn, that is what's real, my friend.

The false son who has the Valyrian looks will make it even harder for the true son with zero Valyrian looks. Even for that only, fAegon has a purpose in the story. In addition, Dany's reaction to Jon's claim after dealing with fAagon will be fire and blood.

If you prefer, think if him as a vector for change. Don't worry about what he himself represents, but rather what he brings to the table as it relates to other characters and their own designs.

We have seen complete nobodies drop in out of the blue and change everything before without worrying about it. So why sweat it now?

Yes. I really don't have an issue with Aegon coming in. It adds another layer to a complex situation.

iam surprised no one has mentioned about mummers dragon thing as a foreshadowing that there will be appearence of (f)aegon...now i dont want to go into what exactly mumers dragon means , he may be BF or some common guy Varys uses or real aegon ...but it showed that there will be a claimant who will be having victories as a targ before danny comes to westeros ...and Seeing at the end of DwD the plot has reached the point that was mentioned in the second book ...

I actually really like the story and the plot so far. GRRM never brings a character "back to life" because he is the readers' favorite and wants to please them. Catelyn was not particularly likeable, and even less so now that she is a zombie. Beric Dondarrion we didn't even care about until we saw him in the BwB he was pretty much like an extra in a film. Aegon was also a very minor mention on the first books to foreshadow his re-appearence and that is it.

Now if he starts bringing back Ned, Rhaegar, Balon, Quentyn, Robb etc then he would have lost it, because nobody would die! But these characters, who are thought of as dead are fine to be brought back into the story IMO because they serve a greater purpose and they are not just to please the fans.

Catelyn was not particularly likeable, and even less so now that she is a zombie.

Hey now. Catelyn's death was the only one in the entire series that truly affected me. She's more likable than 95% of the characters. And I'll say it until I myself am dead and resurrected, Lady Stoneheart is not a zombie. The best closest thing we could call her is a Revenant. Or perhaps a fire wight like Melony and Beric. :P

Jon

Well we don't know exactly what has happened/will happen to Jon. I don't think he will be dead but we have to read about it to decide whether it is lame or not.

Hey now. Catelyn's death was the only one in the entire series that truly affected me. She's more likable than 95% of the characters. And I'll say it until I myself am dead and resurrected, Lady Stoneheart is not a zombie. The best closest thing we could call her is a Revenant. Or perhaps a fire wight like Melony and Beric. :P

OK maybe the term I used wasn't the best as it is jamaican (I think?) :). OK it seems that from your name you like Catelyn but I don't understand why. I sympathize with her but I don't have many aspects of her that I could connect to.

OK maybe the term I used wasn't the best as it is jamaican (I think?) :). OK it seems that from your name you like Catelyn but I don't understand why. I sympathize with her but I don't have many aspects of her that I could connect to.

We might as well just randomly chat in this thread since it's pretty useless to begin with. x]

Here is a good summary of what I love about Catelyn. I can't exactly "connect" to her main role as a mother but I can sure admire it and everything she does in her arc. I consider her more of a hero than Robb because of the way GRRM wrote her. She was the focus and the eyes of the war for Robb. Any other fantasy series would probably focus on Robb, and that's exactly why GRRM didn't. There's no character I admire more than my Lady.

The false son who has the Valyrian looks will make it even harder for the true son with zero Valyrian looks. Even for that only, fAegon has a purpose in the story. In addition, Dany's reaction to Jon's claim after dealing with fAagon will be fire and blood.

If Dany kills Aegon and then finds out he was the real deal it's going to be drama city! Might teach her to keep better control of her temper, and it might make her less inclined to go all "Dracarys" on Jon.

How do we know his real name isn't Kevin or Barry? Aegon could just have been a nickname he had as a younger did.

I think you mean Kevyn or Baerry. ;)

Actually the discussion on my Wighting Theory verged into new territory with the issue of Beric and Catelyn. I was dealing with the ice side of things, but someone mentioned that they are essentially wights as well. We haven't come up with a name for them thus far, but they could be called Fire Wights.

Archived