Would Robb have won Wot5K if he had the Iron Isles?

Lord Robb

Yes, althought I still think theon was the only person who could of convinced him. 20,000 men attacking lannisport/Casterly rock along with 6000 norhenrs then your going to capture them both. The Tyrells won't join with Tywin if he's lost his home

I guess that Littlefinger already would have made an alliance with the Tyrells when the Iron Fleet reached Lannistport.

Well, if they managed to form an alliance it would certainly complicate matters. The Tyrells' actions would probably determine the outcome. Mace Tyrell faces a pretty clear choice: either he supports the Lannisters which could make his daughter a queen of the Seven Kingdoms one day and greatly enhance his familys' influence or he decides to take advantage of the situation and carve out a little land for himself. To me, Mace Tyrell seems like pretty vain person, so I am convinced that he, even under these circumstances, would not be able to resist the notion of his daughter being a queen of the Seven Kingdoms.

However, if he does rule against a Lannister alliance, he still faces some tough decisions. Does he ally with the Starks/Tullys/Ironborn and claim a piece of the Westerlands? Or does he ignore them and turn his eyes on the Crownlands? Remember, Stannis Baratheon is still a force to be reckoned with during this period and he is no friend of the Tyrells.

I was thinking about the same. With Rob not loosing the North Bolton wouldn`t dare to do a move against him like he did. In the books Robb also raided the westernlands and with the help of the Greyjoys instead of the Freys the Red Wedding isnt happening. So Robb is alive and has massive support. Stannis beats Renly. So now we Have Stark-Greyjoy vs Stannis vs Lannister . Dorne doesnt care about the whole thing, They either go full independent or support Robb (everyone else they have a beef with). The Tyrells move where the power is but not Stannis or Dorne , or they just wait for the winner to emerge. Now the Lannisters only beat Stannis with the tyrell help and because Robb had problems. In this case the Lannisters have the weakest hand, Stannis probably takes Kings Landing, Robb the Westernlands. At this point this war is over. Theon marries Sansa to make the alliance stronger with the Ironborn. A new war starts though because Stannis wont stop until the very end. But now he has to face the Stark-greyjoy-Tully (riverlands) alliance. The Ironborn are a wildcard though,they like to rebell a lot, the tyrells could try to kill Robbs wife to get Margery the Throne and Stannis still has the magic with him.

Robb stand absolutely no chance against Tywin Lannister, the Iron Isles on side wouldn't change anything.

And he would have been killed anyway, i'm sure Tywin would have find another way to make him wed a non-frey girl and the Red Wedding would have happened even without Bran/Rickon's supposed deaths.

Militarily I doubt it. Once the Tyrell's and Lannisters allied he probably couldn't have won on the battlefield.

But LF and Varys both wanted the realm to be in chaos at some point in the future to further their own plots. In LF's conversation with Sansa he implied that he'd always planned on Cersei being on the throne and that she would ultimately make mistakes leading to the Lannisters losing power. Varys went as far as to assassinate Kevan to ensure that there weren't any competent people in charge when fAegon landed.

I imagine that Tywin and and Kevan were doomed. LF, Varys, and The Red Viper all wanted them dead at some point, and Cersei would inevitably have screwed things up. With the IB Robb could have avoided the RW, and then when the Lannister/Tyrell aliance started to crumble he would have had a chance to get back in to the war.

Yes, althought I still think theon was the only person who could of convinced him. 20,000 men attacking lannisport/Casterly rock along with 6000 norhenrs then your going to capture them both. The Tyrells won't join with Tywin if he's lost his home

tbh, Casterly Rock is probably too far inland for the Ironborn to consider it.

Robb man. So much potential. Yet his death and the circumstances of it gave the series such a bleak and hopeless (in a good way) mood that it's hard to say if the story would have benefited more from him still being alive and fighting his fight

I don't think any character's popularity has benefited from the show as much as Robb's has. I think book-first, show-second fans have generally been surprised at Robb's surge in popularity the TV show has brought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuIq1or_UNo

His actor stole the show in so many scenes

No, Robb would not have won. Pretending for a moment that Balon decided to take this particular high+risk strategy, the North cannot help the Ironborn, with the lack of a Northern fleet, and the Ironborn ability to help the North is limited, since they are not much use away from the coast. If Robb gets smashed by the Lannister-Tyrells, Balon is screwed.

The other problem was that Robb was only thinking in terms of separatism. He really needed to gamble on gunning for the Iron Throne itself, all or nothing, and make alliances to that effect.

It certainly would have helped his cause but there's no way of knowing if he could have won or not. It depends largely on when the IB joined him. Theon & Robb's plan seemed to have been to join together in attacking the westerlands. If the IB and the northmen had been attacking the westerlands, surely Tywin would have had to go west but then Edmure could still have prevented him and the rest could have happened as it did. But in this scenario, the north and WF are still strong, Bran and Rickon are still known to be alive and its Tywin's home that's under threat. Tyrell-Lannister alliance is still tough to beat but it at least puts Robb & Balon is a much stronger position. Ideally they would then join with Stannis at the point too but Stannis would never support their hopes for independence (Robb might bend the knee if he knew about the twincest but Balon wouldn't).

Sending Galbart Glover or Tytos Blackwood wouldn't have help form the alliance, Balon would just have taken them prisoner. I think he had already decided by this point to invade the north - if he hadn't already made these plans he may have been willing to listen to the plan but as you see he wouldn't even listen to Theon, so he wouldn't have listened to anyone else.

Archived