Makeup V: Inspired by a Diva

Fragile Bird

By the way, I picked up a nice little tip some time back from What Not to Wear. (Dodges bricks.)

The makeup artist Carmindy, when she's doing the makeovers, will often use a highlighting powder that has a bit of sparkle to it, in the inside corners of the eyes right near the tear duct, then just under the arch of the brow. This is great, but you've probably all seen that already.

The next place she puts it is over the apples of your cheeks - sort of brushed across the top of your cheekbones. I use a cream, but she uses a powder. I imagine the powder is easier to control. The cream requires more blending, but I try to stay away from powders as much as I can now.

My baby sister asked me the other day what foundation did I use, because my face looked dewy. DEWY! (Snoopy Happy Dance.)

http://www.neutrogena.com/product/hand+cream.do I like this for overnight use

http://www.yu-be.com/ This has a bit of a scent to it that is mediciney

I use the Neutrogena when my hands get really bad (they haven't this year so far because I've been better about having hand cream all over the place (work, purse, living room table) to apply it when my hands are rough and dry) from wearing nitrile gloves at work, washing my hands a couple dozen times a day, dishes, cold etc.

For everyday use I like Tocca hand creams and Burt's Beeswax Utimate care.

ETA

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/100249-makeup-4-makeup-shotgun-edition/?p=5171937

I'm consistent in my posts on this at least! *L* Also glad to see I'm not the only person to wear socks over their hands.

First post here, y'all! I have hands that straight up bleed in the winter, so I found this lotion called Vanicream (the tube, not the pot) that is very soothing and not sting-y or hurty. I slather it on at night and most of the cracks are gone in the morning. I paid $7 at Target.

Does anyone have a favorite lip liner? My lips are thin and pale so I have to define them but the effect I get is just OK.

By the way, I picked up a nice little tip some time back from What Not to Wear. (Dodges bricks.)

The makeup artist Carmindy, when she's doing the makeovers, will often use a highlighting powder that has a bit of sparkle to it, in the inside corners of the eyes right near the tear duct, then just under the arch of the brow. This is great, but you've probably all seen that already.

The next place she puts it is over the apples of your cheeks - sort of brushed across the top of your cheekbones. I use a cream, but she uses a powder. I imagine the powder is easier to control. The cream requires more blending, but I try to stay away from powders as much as I can now.

My baby sister asked me the other day what foundation did I use, because my face looked dewy. DEWY! (Snoopy Happy Dance.)

I love What Not To Wear! That show helped me so much - and it was so amusing! I've been watching Love, Lust, or Run - Stacey's new show - but it's not nearly as good. No Clinton and it's only a half hour, most of which is commercials. WAAAH! But still, it's Stacey so that makes me some happy.

Disclaimer: I live in Florida and haven't lived in a cold climate for 30 years.

But maybe I can help a little, 'cause I take moderately good - above average care of my hands and nails, 'cause I'm a mani freak and I can unabashedly say I have nice hands. I'm no beauty, but at least I have okay hands! *brag* And they're really, really soft.

I use Burt's Bees Cocoa & Cupuacu Butters Lotion every night - and at various times during the day. Any lotion is good, of course, but I have had good results with the Burt's. I use cuticle oil several times a day (I let it soak in. It soaks in pretty fast - in like a minute.) Burt's Bees Lemon Butter is good, too - on it's own or to seal in the oil. It is a little greasy. I should use it more, but - lazy.

I would recommend you get your hands wet as little as possible. Of course, you have to wash them and bathe, but moisturize immediately after. Invest in gloves. Playtex Living Gloves. I wear them whenever I do chores, and gardening gloves outside. It's good to moisturize right before donning them! I love my gloves.

I would recommend you moisturize your hands every night right before you go to sleep. That way the lotion can soak in all night without being washed away.

I think Eucerin might help you. My husband used it when he lived up north and had to work in outdoor conditions most of the day (warehouse). He said his hands would crack and bleed and it helped him. I find it to be a little greasy and it takes awhile to soak in, but I know it is a good product. I'm sure other Northern posters can help with specific brands!

I have also slept with Vaseline or a heavy coat of lotion on my hands/feet when they were really dry with good success. I just wear socks over them.

I hope this helps you a little. Good luck. I'm so sorry you're suffering with this painful condition.

http://www.neutrogena.com/product/hand+cream.do I like this for overnight use

http://www.yu-be.com/ This has a bit of a scent to it that is mediciney

I use the Neutrogena when my hands get really bad (they haven't this year so far because I've been better about having hand cream all over the place (work, purse, living room table) to apply it when my hands are rough and dry) from wearing nitrile gloves at work, washing my hands a couple dozen times a day, dishes, cold etc.

For everyday use I like Tocca hand creams and Burt's Beeswax Utimate care.

ETA

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/100249-makeup-4-makeup-shotgun-edition/?p=5171937

I'm consistent in my posts on this at least! *L* Also glad to see I'm not the only person to wear socks over their hands.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Trust me, I slather lotion on my hands several time a day, and certainly at night. I too pay great attention to my hands, as I have always had very very nice hands. Several years ago I noticed they had become very dry and creams didn't seem to help for more than half an hour, and my esthetician confirmed the worst, aging hands that reveal one's age (I'm now 60). She suggested a chemical peel which took a whole summer to do in stages, several years ago, but helped. At the same time I had been watching Joan Rivers shilling her products on the Shopping Channel, and she made very catty comments about Madonna, who, she pointed out, does not go out in public anymore without wearing gloves. You can't hide aging hands. In the summer I'm very particular about covering my hands in sunscreen. But, as I said, this year has been unusually bad for me.

I use Eucerin, and Neutrogena, and a hand cream by Elen Sirot, a hand model who founded a hand cream business and produces a beautiful cream. And Aveena for extremely dry skin. I have not tried Burt's Bees in a few years. I see I can order that Japanese cream from Sephora Canada on-line.

First post here, y'all! I have hands that straight up bleed in the winter, so I found this lotion called Vanicream (the tube, not the pot) that is very soothing and not sting-y or hurty. I slather it on at night and most of the cracks are gone in the morning. I paid $7 at Target.

I see it's sold in Canada under the name Cliniderm I'll keep an eye out for it. :)

I have an underactive thyroid, and a very typical symptom we suffer from in winter is dry skin, particularly, for some strange reason, around the ankles. I have discussed the crazed need to scratch our ankles with other under-active thyroid sufferers. One winter I scratched my left ankle until bloody, and tried to heal it with over-the-counter medications, like polysporin, and it wouldn't heal until I got a medicated cream by prescription from my doctor. This is not a regular or annual occurrence, it only happens occasionally, and I have also noticed my ankles have become very itchy, so I may drop by my doctor's office to get another medicated cream.

I have a number of foot creams for very dry feet, and I have, in desperation, been slathering them on my hands as well. What the hell, eh?

So, I had a bit of a fight with my Urban Decay black kohl eyeliner on Saturday. I just do not understand how you are supposed to sharpen these things. My usual make up pencil sharpener does absolutely nothing with it. The 'lead' in the pencil is super soft, but the 'wood' in the pencil is super hard plastic! To make it even better the 'lead' is not flush with the 'wood', it is loose and kind of rattling around inside its casing. I ended up butchering it with a penknife. Obviously NOT how you are supposed to do it. Any thoughts?

Do UD make their own luxury pencil sharpener? If so does it actually work? I'm going to take my mangled pencil to the nearest stockist and get 'an expert' to help me, in the first instance.

I have an NYX sharpener that was super cheap that I love - it works great.

My Smashbox pencils are like that, as well as a Marc Jacobs - the lead actually goes flying out of it. GRRRRRRRRR. That really chaps me when that happens. It's a a pencil I got for a gift, otherwise I would be super ticked because Marc Jacobs is quite spendy.

I bought a Benefit gel liner that was supposed to be the bomb - it just leaves big lumps of gel on my eyelids, which is not the look I'm going for. My current favorite is a liner by Lorac that works very well.

I have an NYX sharpener that was super cheap that I love - it works great.

I have the same one! :)

Lip Liner = got this Trucco lip liner from a luxe box subscription and compared to any high end cosmetics this is the best I've used yet. Its made in germany and you can get it for $7.50 on eBay.

Hand Cream = Trying out this Fresh brown sugar hand cream for winter as my hand gets super dry from washing dishes. Its quite pricey at $18.50 for 2.5 oz but so far its working better than my go to Eucerin intensive theraphy or aquaphor advanced theraphy lotion both are around 5 bucks each.

I'm also looking for a good eyeliner, tried Lancome liquid liner, not buying that again. Then my every day brown urban decay eye liner smudges after a couple of hours. So I keep going back to M-A-C fluidline in blacktrack but they use latex on all their cosmetics and I'm allergic so my eyelids get itchy after several use.

I've been using the Cynthia Rowley eyeliners lately. I sampled a silver, which was good as a highlighter on the brow bone and tear duct, but I wanted a more practical, everyday color. I bought a combo of a gold and a bronze brown, and I love them. They go on very smooth and have staying power.

Do UD make their own luxury pencil sharpener? If so does it actually work? I'm going to take my mangled pencil to the nearest stockist and get 'an expert' to help me, in the first instance.

Had the same problem with my UD eyeliner and concealer pencil and ended up buying their sharpener. I think it's called The Grindhouse. It works great but I am annoyed that I had to buy an overpriced special sharpener. I'm guess it's better than having mangled UD pencils though.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a sample of Benefit's Roller Lash. I tried it out today and I think I like it? I hate the wand length of sample mascara. It feels harder to control than regular sized mascara. I like their They're Real better than Bad Gal and I think a full size of Roller Lash might do the trick.

To this point, the other mascaras I've had success with are Buxom at Raidne's suggestion way back when and Too Faced Better Than Sex.

I thought about ordering the Roller Lash since it officially launched today. The only mascara I've used for years is the volumizing one by Mally. It's pretty great but I'm kinda bored and wanted to try something new.

Hive mind- tell me of your brow boxes and brow products

I'm using a product that is both cheap and effective - Cover Girl Brow Drama - and I really, really like it. Very natural looking, and easy to apply.

I've used tons of other products and they are either complicated and take multiple steps to apply, or they make me look like this.

I use a small, slanted brush and use a combination of a medium to light brown, a tiny bit on the ashy side, and then mix it with a reddish gold eye shadow. The combination of the two seem to work out great. I've never EVER been able to find the exact right shade all by itself, so I blend them.

ETA: The older and futzier the brush, the better. When the brush is too new, you get too sharp of a line. When I paint, the same is true. :)

Coming out of a bout of depression that's been a bit yuck the past couple of years, and I've suddenly become super obsessed with makeup and skincare and beauty products, probably because it's been a while since I bothered much!

The Roller Lash mascara is amazing, for me at least. Most mascaras just go clumpy on my eyelashes, and wear off really quickly. This one totally curls my eyelashes and opens up my eyes. I'm in love.

Trying to mix pricey makeup with some cheaper stuff at the moment. Have any of you in the UK tried stuff from MUA? It's super cheap (£1 lipsticks! £4 eyeshadow palettes!) and I'm really impressed with their eyeshadows particularly. Good pigment and they stay put on my eyelids all day. I think you can buy the range in Superdrug, but I bought a massive boxful for about £30 from their website the other day -http://www.muastore.co.uk/

My sister has started working for Neals Yard Remedies too, so I'm getting a bunch of samples and discounts there. Love their Beauty Sleep skincare stuff.

Hmm. That's all. Hi everyone?

Archived