what is and isn't an abuse

Zoravar Singh

words

Look, real talk, if you are being yelled at for calling someone names, the solution isn't to rules lawyer up a name you can get away with, it's to stop calling people names.

Look, real talk, if you are being yelled at for calling someone names, the solution isn't to rules lawyer up a name you can get away with, it's to stop calling people names.

I would expect this type of good advice from a dog like you.

To be fair, I can think of loads of reasons why I might want to call someone names.

It's TC's pretending to not realise why 'bitch' and 'dog' are totally not on the same level that grates a little.

specifically on a forum, i meant...why would you want to use those names on this forum...i swear probably too much in real life for me to have meant that...

I would also clarify that "dog" is not specifically the male word. It can be applied to both genders of the species of Canis familiaris and so trying to equate it with a female-specific version of a word that has a history of being used to demean and diminish women does not exactly make me shed a tear.

I would like to enquire whether 'dog' qualifies as an abuse in the same way as 'bitch' already does. I found no clarity on this particular point in the rules. Also, is it an offense to call a character something abusive, as it is to call a forum member that?

Yes. It is bad to call someone a dog. Not so offensive to call them "dawg" though. Unless you're Steve Martin I guess.

"Bitch" is probably worse, unless you have a Lil in front of your name.

I would like to enquire whether 'dog' qualifies as an abuse in the same way as 'bitch' already does. I found no clarity on this particular point in the rules. Also, is it an offense to call a character something abusive, as it is to call a forum member that?

Only if it's spelled "Dawg"

ETA: Dammit ^beat me to it

As a person who has a point, I'd say it's never o.k. to call anyone anything..Not even if they call themselves said thing first.

Hence the level of passive aggressive mastery I've witnessed on this forum.

It's in the context. I have called Cersei a bitch, as most of us had, and meant it in the worst way possible with no ill consequence. I have called Arya a bitch and meant it as a compliment. I don't think under any circumstance should you call another poster a bitch. Bitch and dog can be used in all sorts of ways. Im not sure how you used it but in this arena you probably shouldn't have. That being said we are all the faceless masses here and many take things too seriously.

For the record, if you're referring to an actual female dog, bitch is an appropriate term. If you use the word to disparage, insult or put down a character (yes, even fictional ones) or another boarder, I have a problem with such meanspirited, misogynistic use. If that is a problem for you, I suggest you find another board to post on.

Archived