When someone has 15 items in the 10 item only lane...

Ser Scot A Ellison

Right, so basically you don't give a shit if you see someone being a dick to someone else. Which means you aren't gonna understand the issue.

Yes, Shryke. That's exactly what I meant to say. I'm an uncaring asshole who likes to stand by and watch people treat other people like shit. Totally what I was getting at.

FFS, get over yourself.

Yes, Shryke. That's exactly what I meant to say. I'm an uncaring asshole who likes to stand by and watch people treat other people like shit. Totally what I was getting at.

FFS, get over yourself.

But that's exactly what you said. You don't understand why a cashier would be upset at someone being a dick to someone else by using the express line with way more items then necessary. You also said you don't care if someone else cuts in line as long as it's not in front of you. You said this was because it's not a big enough deal. So yeah, you outright said you didn't give a shit. Don't get snippy about it, your the one that said it.

If you don't give a shit, I'm not sure what you expect to get out of this line of questioning. Other then attempting to feel superior to others cause you are smart enough to not get upset about these things or whatever bullshit.

You obviously understand why it upsets others, you just don't care. So wtf was the point of your question again?

RRL,

You still had to stand behind the guy with 40 items, 50 coupons, and who insisted on writing out a check after arguing with the cashier over items he thought were on sale.

Scot,

Sorry, but you asked about the clerk having to deal with the irritated customer behind the 40 and coupons guy. The cashier should at least be able to commiserate, at worst be like "yeah, I know, sorry about that", an at best flip the situation (I usually try to make a home of it, an lighten shit up) making the customer feel better about the inconvenience the just endured.

But if that second customer is such a dick that they have to vent their spleen at a poor cashier with no control over the other customers, then fuck em, they deserve to be stuck behind shit like that all the time

Yeah, my experience was most people behind someone doing that would just give the cashier that "Some fucking people, eh?" look and you'd just give them the "Yeah, I know." look back.

I don't know, I would probably be irritated with the cashier for not enforcing the posted policies of their store. I would consider that their job, and the fact that they don't care enough to do it would make it seem like I am not valued as a customer.

I'm not a dick enough to be a jerk to them about it, but I'd still be thinking it.

I don't know, I would probably be irritated with the cashier for not enforcing the posted policies of their store.

Yes.

I'm not a dick enough to be a jerk to them about it, but I'd still be thinking it.

Next time call me and put me on speaker phone.

I can see how it would annoy the other customers, but how exactly does it annoy you? I'm not being a dick; I'm genuinely asking. Aren't you just going to keep checking items no matter how many there are? What difference does it make to the cashier if they items are way over the maximum number? Or is it annoying you indirectly because if the customer is annoyed then he/she gets pissed at you for not enforcing the rule? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Baggers are a luxury. We don't always have them, and they typically avoid the 20 items or less line because it's supposed to be smaller orders. Which means there are bigger fish to fry then helping out where it's already fairly quick. So when someone comes in with a basket filled with stuff it slows it down for the customers who wanted to be in and out and annoys me because they are oblivious to signs or just don't care about other people. The area to bag is also a tad smaller, which is normally not a problem (and is smaller because it's cheaper).

I don't get to pick which register I go to, and when I get stuck in the 20 items or less, that is what I should expect (no bagger, small order). I don't get annoyed when it's 21 or 25 items. It's when the rule, not a rule, goes blatantly broken (no bagger, big order).

I don't know, I would probably be irritated with the cashier for not enforcing the posted policies of their store. I would consider that their job, and the fact that they don't care enough to do it would make it seem like I am not valued as a customer.

Can't. The store I work with is pretty much in direct competition with Wal*Mart and if I piss a customer off then I can get in to trouble.

Don't care enough to do it... that is not how it works. Lets say the cashier tells the customer he has too many items for the aisle, the customer then complains and asks to speak to a manager, the manager would then come down and apologise to the customer and let them use the aisle anyway. Also the manager would probably give the cashier a talking to for not pleasing the customer. That is how supermarkets are run.

Don't care enough to do it... that is not how it works. Lets say the cashier tells the customer he has too many items for the aisle, the customer then complains and asks to speak to a manager, the manager would then come down and apologise to the customer and let them use the aisle anyway. Also the manager would probably give the cashier a talking to for not pleasing the customer. That is how supermarkets are run.

A likely scenario. But that means the manager is an idiot.

This will also mean that whether the cashier enforces the item limits depends on whether s/he feels the manager will have their back.

This will also mean that whether the cashier enforces the item limits depends on whether s/he feels the manager will have their back.

The manager never will. In the grocery business, the margins are thin and customer retention is fairly low, so the managers will always side with the customer over the cashier. Every time.

Which they never ever will. The customer is always right in supermarkets.

The manager never will. In the grocery business, the margins are thin and customer retention is fairly low, so the managers will always side with the customer over the cashier. Every time.

This. I let customers get away with pretty much anything when I worked on the tills as I knew if I said anything all that would happen is I would get into trouble and/or fired.

This. I let customers get away with pretty much anything when I worked on the tils as I knew if I said anything all that would happen is me getting into trouble and/or fired.

I quit working as a cashier because of it. Not worth it.

Most customers are utterly unmemorable but you get the occasional dickhead and even if you are right, the manager will still side with them and then stand by while the customer abuses you because the worst thing is to ever upset the customer.

And they wonder why they have such a hard time retaining workers.

I should have added criminal activities are the only time they might not be :P

Dude, you live in a country where fellatio is still illegal? ;-p

(no but I get the point)

Ever since this thread was made I've been paying attention to stores around town and seems like at least 3 out of 5 stores just have something like an "express lane" but there's no amount of items given. It's like I'm conditioned that they all say 10 items or less but when I pay close attention a lot don't have an item limit. The stores that have a limit are around the 10-20 item range.

Archived