When someone has 15 items in the 10 item only lane...

Ser Scot A Ellison

When I lived in Charleston the closest grocery store to my house was a Walmart. I would usually go to a Publix a bit away for most of my groceries, but if I just needed to grab 1-2 things, I'd hit up the Walmart. Which invariably meant I was standing in line with maybe 3 items tops, in the express lane, behind people with cartfuls of groceries. It made me want to stab things. Seriously, you're not even trying!!

I am a highly impatient person, but this wouldn't bother me.

At out local supermarket, the 10 item or less line usually is empty so the checker calls over anyone who wants to use it regardless of the number of items.

However, 1 or 2 check lines open at Walmart and 50 customers wanting to check out makes my blood boil. I have actually called Walmart from the line and complained. Surprisingly, it got results.

What if you buy 50 spice packets? The cashier could scan one spice packet and then type in quantity 50 into the register. Does that count as one item or 50? Perhaps two? One for the scanned packet and the second for sliding the other 49 into the bag?

That Would be logical!

(are we still doing logical?)

I don't think we have space in the cart for logic.

What if you buy 50 spice packets? The cashier could scan one spice packet and then type in quantity 50 into the register. Does that count as one item or 50? Perhaps two? One for the scanned packet and the second for sliding the other 49 into the bag?

Depends on how easy to count they are. Surely there should be some penalty if it takes more than twice one average Swipe Time to count? Maybe we count a third of the items? A fourth?

I work at a supermarket.

Nobody who works there gives even one-half of a shit about how many items are in the cart in the lane. The 15 or 20 items or less signs are basically just guidelines. What the employees do care about, however, is lines. Where I work, there are sensors at a certain spot in every checkout lane, so that The System knows when there is too many people in one lane (meaning, to open up another lane - or to guide people into another lane, i.e. the 'express' lanes). Because otherwise, there are dips in productivity, and everyone in management cares very much about how many dips in a day (or a week, etc) there are and tries to keep the number of dips as low as possible.

So, while the customers are getting pissed off about people ahead of them with lots of items, the employees are struggling in the face of a near-constant nervous breakdown, because of pressure from corporate, pressure from all management levels, and the constant monitoring as well of each checker's productivity.

Not to mention the customers. Impatient, angry, inconsiderate, sloppy, thieving, stupid, obnoxious customers. We can all agree the customers suck. It just so happens that everybody agrees that it's *other* customers who suck, it's never *me* who is doing the sucking. (But, it probably is.) Because life sucks, retail sucks, and humanity is a deeply flawed, miserable species.

I try to avoid the express lane like it has the plague. Mostly because of item counting confrontational customers.

If I have a full trolley. I go the regular checkout. If I have 1 - 15 items I go to self serve. Above 15 and below full trolley. Again regular lane. Most of the time the regular lane is faster any way.

I have been waved over to express lane while having a full trolley. And I begged not to be forced to. I was told no one will say anything. (They had to close the lane or something.) And sure enough I was hassled by another customer, who wasn't there for the wave over. But still felt it their personal obligation to inform me of my utter lack of intelligence And my urgent need to go self fornicate.

Another time, While waiting for a free register in the self serve lane. A woman was waved over to the express lane with a full trolley. Because at that moment express was empty. She got there (looking miserable) and a few moments latter a women was waiting behind the woman with the trolley. Calling her a retard and asking "What's the matter retard? Don't know how to count or read?" So I intervened. Because I know what that feels like. I just told her to lay off and quickly explained the situation.

The express lane seems to turn people into assholes. On the road and in the supermarket.

But I can't really talk. Though I've never said anything or acted on it. My personal supermarket bugbear is people who park their trolley across the isle while they read an item. Or people who stand and talk across the isle from each other so no one can get past going either way. It's fine if they notice the traffic build up and move so that people can get by. But when they ignore people or tell the people wanting to get past to 'hold on' or 'go the f around'. That's when it really bugs me.

Archived