When someone has 15 items in the 10 item only lane...

Ser Scot A Ellison

This is one thing that never bothers me. I've had people come in line ahead of me with 30 items in a 10 items or less line and it didn't matter. I never do it to extremes though, I'll count my items and if it's 11 or 12 I'll still go in the express line, more than that I'll find another line.

What bothers me is sometimes I'll be standing in a long line and the cahier at an express lane will wave me over, I'll even say "I have more than 10 items" but they'll say "that's ok" so I get in line, unload my groceries and someone will get behind me and start giving me dirty looks.

ETA: ninja'd by Warg Arry :P

I have to admit that this is something that bugs me. There is something very irritating about that moment when you've just nipped in for two things, gone to the express lane, but right in front of you there's a person with much more than 10 items. I just find it really annoying that people do that - when it specifically says , in great big writing above the aisle, '10 items or less'.

Self checkout is awesome

Self-checkout is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord and must killed with fire.

Designed to let supermarkets cut staff, and the machines are shit. They keep screaming about 'unauthorised items in the bagging area' and throw a hissy fit until a staff-member appears to enter a code.

What drives me to near-trolley rage is old people blocking areas. I expect them to be slow, but if they want to stand and gossip, do so out of the way and not two-abreast in a busy aisle blocking everyone else. One day I'll snap and will charge at them with my trolley screaming "Ramming speed!" That'll get the old bastards moving. :)

Self-checkout is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord and must killed with fire.

And it came to pass that the people of the supermarket strayed from the path of righteousness, and used the self checkout aisle, and the Lord did say unto them: "Thou shalt be afflicted with a plague of plastic bags that shall not open, and verily thy fingers will be helpless, and the machine shall not accept cash. The weight sensors shall scream unto the heavens of unauthorised objects in the bagging area, and if thou art buying alcohol, the employee in charge shall be too busy with other things to enter the code for at least five minutes. And the redundant employees shall hear thy cries of lamentation, and they shall be glad. Such is the word of the Lord."

Is this a general 'tiny things which are disproportionately irritating' thread? Because what really annoys me is people at the gym using the machines - each of which is clearly marked "use for 30 mins only because people are waiting", except more politely and in French - for 45 minutes. Two, three, five minutes over? Fine. First thing on a Thursday morning, gym almost empty? Go for your life, use it as long as you want. But 50% over the time limit on a busy Sunday morning with no free machines and people waiting, no. That's just selfish.

I see why the experiments with 'express lanes' seem to have died here. Perhaps they still exist in the larger supermarkets in the peripheries, but the ones in cities seem to have abandoned them. They have taken a slightly more subtle approach by making some check-outs only viable for baskets, while keeping the others available for trolleys. And barring some people who overstuff baskets it seems to work.

And it came to pass that the people of the supermarket strayed from the path of righteousness, and used the self checkout aisle, and the Lord did say unto them: "Thou shalt be afflicted with a plague of plastic bags that shall not open, and verily thy fingers will be helpless, and the machine shall not accept cash. The weight sensors shall scream unto the heavens of unauthorised objects in the bagging area, and if thou art buying alcohol, the employee in charge shall be too busy with other things to enter the code for at least five minutes. And the redundant employees shall hear thy cries of lamentation, and they shall be glad. Such is the word of the Lord."

Beautifully said :thumbsup:

ETA: You know what else bugs me as a till op in a clothes store?

People who bring clothes to the cash desk that they don't even want.

"Can I just leave this cardigan, I don't want it."

Then why the hell did you pick it up?!

Actually what I like is when someone comes to the express lane with more than the 10 or 20 items and asks us if it's okay for them even though they have more than the number of items. Because then I can, straight-facedly, examine their stuff (as if counting it) and then wave my hand and tell them nope, get out of here.

Of course I'm joking and I let them know almost immediately with my disarming smile and a little chuckle at my own impressive wit... but it's that tiny moment when they're wondering whether they should fight or flight that's so special.

Haven't gotten punched in the face yet!

Amen.

Also in CA at least you can't buy alcohol in self scans anymore at all. We have big signs at each one mentioning this, but still there are always those who try because reading is hard.

Hah. I only have six items, but I'm holding up the line by posting in this thread before finishing my transaction. Cram it with walnuts, chumps.

Eta: oh shit, I've got coupons too! Ahahahaha

I implore all of you to follow RRL's selfless example. Together we can force supermarkets to create an additional 7 item or less 'fast lane.'. It will do for grocery shopping what Eisenhower did for transportation.

And together we will burn!

Oh yeah....Serious Business. In my neck of the woods, this turned into an actual trial and lawsuit because an off-duty(and in civilian clothes) cop started a ruckus with a couple in front of him that had a full cart in the express lane. The husband had left to get eggs and when he came back the cop was yelling at the pregnant wife. The hubby intervened, pushing the cop away and the cop pulled his gun causing a huge panic. The cop never identified himself before pulling his weapon.

The on-duty cops were called and quite naturally the husband was arrested for assaulting a police officer. The DA went ahead and pressed charges and actually took it to trial, probably hoping to get a conviction to avoid the eventual lawsuit. The jury came back with a not guilty within an hour of getting the case. The county settled for 20k with the husband. The officer is still with the police force and no discipline was ever announced.

In case you were wondering...yes, the cop was white and the husband was black. :p

Archived