Did GoT ruin the image of the characters in your minds?

Mokymok

what do you feel about thomas sangster who played jojen reed ..i still find it hard to believe he is 24 years old

At first I didn't like it because he sounded to mature and sure of himself... then I thought, well that's spot on. this is little grandfather. :D

Some yes and some no. The only major no was Margaery. I pictured her nothing like the show version. Asha, Lysa, Tommen and Daario were also pretty different. The really major characters (Most of the Starks, most of the Lannisters, Varys, LF), however, I saw pictures of before I read the books, so they look like their book counterparts in my head. The only major yes is Joffrey, who will never look like anyone other than Jack Gleeson, probably because he captured Joffrey's personality so well.

I think Stannis was perfectly cast. The only part wrong with him is they leave out all his oneliners. In the season 4 finale I was looking forward to him telling Jon "if it werent for my hand I may not have come at all." It was a missed oppurtunity to see that stupid puzzled look on Harringtons face.

I forgot to mention Tommen. I pictured him as a small child/toddler that still plays with toys, but in the show (season 4) he looks like a teenager just a few years away from adulthood.

It's hard to say for me. Like some of the others I started reading the books after Season 1 so all the characters that were prominent in the season stuck to the book characters in my mind. Particularly Ned and Tyrion; I don't know if I can picture them to be anyone else honestly. Some characters that have appeared later on have also taken on the appearance of their book counterparts (eg Davos, Brienne, I was even pleasantly surprised to se Mr Filch as Walder Frey)

It's strange though, I tend to think of some of the other characters in the most fantastical way, especially with some of the Slavers bay folk. I went through most of aDwD thinking Hizdahr zo Loraq was some alien-like creature before I corrected myself. Maybe its the strange names they're given, or maybe its because I read too much sci-fi...

I cannot say the show has had any influence in how I imagine the characters from the story, even though I already pictured some of them as notable actors before the show was ever announced. For example, I picture Catelyn Tully as Cate Blanchett with auburn hair, like she had it in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Ramsey was pretty diff than how I imagined him. In my mind he was ( and still is) sort of a large, hulking brutal looking guy. Long black hair and huge/broad shouldered. The show ramsey is almost a prettyboy in comparison

I honestly like that about him.

Less the psycho that looks like a psycho, and more the crazy one that looks normal.

It just feels unsettling knowing the one that does not look out of place at a nobles banquent loves to brutally rape and murder woman for sport.

There are pros & con of depiction changes.

I for instance love show Bran. They make him feel like the wise Stark, which makes sense since he is going to be a greenseer.

I do hate some changes though, like Cersei being less evil, or more resently Leaf looking just looking like a kid in holloween make up :bang:

It's a hit and miss affair.

The only GoT likenesses I imagine are the (in my opinion) standout actors like Peter Dinklage, Jackie Gleeson, Rory McCann, etc. Otherwise, if a character ventures too far from what the book describes (Drogo, Bloodraven, Leaf) I just ignore the show version.

Every character speaks with an American accent, unless GRRM mentions their accent being "strange" or foreign. Without exception.

What do you mean they speak with an American accent? It's a medieval fantasy world based on British nobility. They'd sound REALLY out-of-place if they had an American accent.

I'm a more visual person. Everything I read or listen to comes to life in my head...and the actors are pretty much who I see when reading, even if the attributes aren't the same. It doesn't bother me, to be honest...I keep the two separate, I just like being able to see and hear them in my imagination as if I we're watch it right in front if me. Even funnier, I listen to the audiobooks, where the voices sound nothing like the actors, and I still can hear and see the actors.

I will state that my imagination is just fine and it needs no help, but it becomes more real when I have a complete picture in my head. Just a quirk of my imagination, I suppose.

What do you mean they speak with an American accent? It's a medieval fantasy world based on British nobility. They'd sound REALLY out-of-place if they had an American accent.

Actually, as I recall, linguistics experts believe "American" accent is more like old english than current British/Welsh/Scott, especially the Southern American variety.

So in that respect sounding American is more authentic to the setting.

Actually, as I recall, linguistics experts believe "American" accent is more like old english than current British/Welsh/Scott, especially the Southern American variety.

So in that respect sounding American is more authentic to the setting.

I think the key word is "fantasy". It's a made-up world, with made-up people who speak made-up languages. They talk the way they do in the show because it invokes a commonality and helps us engage with the characters in a certain way. Foreign accents invoke exoticness while British accents help us relate to what the characters are supposed to be like and where they are from. Of course, this is all meaningless, as it is a fictitious world, so if you relate by hearing them in American accents, more power to you :) It's certainly not "wrong".

Archived