NBA Offseason: What's Love Got To Do With It

Rhom

Been seeing the comments from James Harden and Dwight Howard about losing Chandler Parsons:

I get they're not going to say it's the end of the world but I think it's a bit of a window into their attitudes. a ) Haven't they watched the last two finals? They completely swung on the abilities (or lack thereof) of the roleplayers. b )Do these sound like two stars you'd want to play with if you were a free agent?

I dunno, I mean what do you expect them to say here? "Chandler Parsons was a huge loss and now we have no chance"? Because they're obviously not going to say that. It's not like they said anything bad about Parsons really - the article about what Howard said indicated that he wished Parsons well in his future endeavours, which is fine. (No idea whether Harden did, because it was a snippet taken from a media session in the Philippines and the article didn't supply much surrounding context).

ST

Depends how you rate Tony Parker´s defence.

Parker's defense is a fair bit better than Hardens, and in addition, the Top 2 guys on the Spurs are Leonard and Duncan, who both play defense very well.

I dunno, I mean what do you expect them to say here? "Chandler Parsons was a huge loss and now we have no chance"? Because they're obviously not going to say that. It's not like they said anything bad about Parsons really - the article about what Howard said indicated that he wished Parsons well in his future endeavours, which is fine. (No idea whether Harden did, because it was a snippet taken from a media session in the Philippines and the article didn't supply much surrounding context).

ST

I think you can easily say, "We're going to miss Parsons, but we also added some good players and I think overall we'll be a better team."

That gets the message across without tooting your own horn and coming across as an egotistical jackass.

ST

Just the standard athlete phrasing respecting both the departed and the guys still on the roster. ie: "Losing Parsons is a big loss but we have a lot of faith in the guys we still have on the roster and think they'll step in and do an excellent job for us."

Instead Howard implied Parsons had no value and Harden makes all the role players sound like the little unimportant people. That may not be what they felt but that's the way they come off.

ETA: Or what Rhom said.

Harden is a long way down from just defensive liability. And I meant 2007 Spurs, or is that already long long way back.

I would not consider 2007 to be a long way back, but I thought Parker's defense was a good bit better back then. Not great, but at least acceptable.

I would not consider 2007 to be a long way back, but I thought Parker's defense was a good bit better back then. Not great, but at least acceptable.

Not that long ago? Hell, George Bush was still president then. LeBron was a Cleveland Cavalier. Dance With Dragons was four years away!

Wiggins signed his contract with the Cavs, so there will be no Wiggins for Love trade for the next 30 days.

The significance of the news of Wiggins signing his contract now is he can't be traded for 30 days, which matters if he's going to be included in any potential deals for Kevin Love this summer.

Don't forget that Hilary was guaranteed to be president too.

True... So maybe I should change that:

Hilary was guaranteed to be president. LeBron was in Cleveland. We were all waiting for a long overdue GRRM book with no end in sight.

Shit... He's right! Nothing has changed in 7 years!!!!!!

Looks like Love will be here for a few more weeks. I just hope First Take stops talking about this. Otherwise it's Highly Questionable until this trade is done.

Highly Questionable? LeBatard's show? Listening to him whine about LeBron leaving for hours on end? Ugh.

Maybe on the radio, but that's only Papi on the show. Honestly though, I watch because of Bomani Jones. He's ESPN's funniest commentator and pretty spot on in his analysis too. I'm pretty sure that he and Michael Smith will be the dominate SportsCenter anchors within the next 5 years. They are the cream of the crop.

Man, those quotes from Harden and Howard do seem pretty clownish. I can't even quite tell what their angle is. Are they bitter that Parsons is gone so they're trying some reverse-psychology on themselves, or are they actually insulted that anyone thinks that anyone but H&H matters in H-Town? Clowns either way.

I loved Harden in college as a big Pac-10->12 watcher, and I was embarrassingly proven quite wrong about how legit of a leading scorer he turned out to be when he went from OKC to Houston. But all of that said, I started to lose so much respect for him when I realized (or mercifully had pointed out to me) just what a douche he was on the defensive end.

Say one thing for Kobe. Say he studied MJ's oeuvre in its entirety; not just on the offensive end.

I almost got into a brawl with a guy at the gym the other day over Harden. He seemed to think he's a 'special' talent (he used the word special), and I tried to set him straight. Half the guy's points come because he fucking cherrypicks, which is worse than murder on an organized team. Kobe on the other hand could sometimes be seen slacking on defense, but he'd fucking lock it down if he needed to.

I almost got into a brawl with a guy at the gym the other day over Harden. He seemed to think he's a 'special' talent (he used the word special), and I tried to set him straight. Half the guy's points come because he fucking cherrypicks, which is worse than murder on an organized team. Kobe on the other hand could sometimes be seen slacking on defense, but he'd fucking lock it down if he needed to.

=

I got into a brawl with an elderly man at the bus stop this morning over Harden.

You know... when most people say "I almost got in a fight over [blank]" I just kind of brush it off as hyperbole.

For some reason, when Jace says it... I actually think she may be understating the danger this man was in.

Archived