In which language did you read the books?

The Pimp

I have read all the books in English and I am very happy for it. I have checked both Czech and Slovak translations and they are pretty bad. Czech is a little bit better, I think, but it goes that way for fantasy genre in general, when you compare Czech and Slovak translations. I did not read a whole chapter in any of these languages, but opened the books on several random pages and read a paragraph or looked at how they translated certain names. It isn't unbearable, but I think that those who understand English and feel confident enough to read books in an English original version should do so, because it is much more rewarding. (The Slovak version was translated by a translator who translated Twilight and when I looked at ending paragraphs of a few chapters I did not find it worth recommending to anyone who is able to read it in English.)

I read the first book in Spanish and I'm now about to finish the second one in English.

It's not that the translation was that bad, but Spanish is not spoken the same in all countries, and some words are not even used in others. The translation is made in Spain and I'm from Argentina and often times I could not understand adjectives without looking them up in a dictionary for example, because we just don't use those words.

Even if that didn't happen though, I think I'd still read them in English. There are just some feelings and stuff that you can't translate 100%.faithfully.

• 3 weeks later...

The Brazilian Portuguese translations are not bad, although they are translated from the Portuguese Portuguese version rather than from the original version. It makes the text a bit strange at times, but it's readable. Nevertheless, I read it in English, because anytime I'm capable if reading a text in it's original language rather than a translation, I'll do it. As good as a translation might be, it always changes some things.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived