Watch, Watched, Watching: You've probably never heard of it.

I finally got cable in time to watch all of S4 of Game of Thrones. So I have access to cable TV series.

I'm absolutely uninterested in zombies or drug pushers; hence no Walking Dead or Breaking Bad (if it's on in reruns) for me. I saw a preview of Spartacus: Blood and Sand which splattered blood all over like a geyser; and decided not to watch it.

The current show that interests me the most is Halt and Catch Fire, a drama about computer innovation in 1980's Texas (that plays much better than my summary).

I've watched a few episodes of The Musketeers; decent entertainment with hunky guys and Peter Capaldi (the new Doctor Who) as Richelieu.

Tyrant is my new guilty pleasure, because the lead actor (Adam Rayner) is gorgeous; even if I think his character is a naive idiot who needs to take his family and go back to California before they're all murdered by angry mobs...

Dominion is kinda fun in an over-the-top way; I like the angel battles.

I saw one episode of Extant and might watch more.

I think I missed a big Dr. Who event, but hope to see it again.

And I've been able to watch three of the four Twilight movies that I never saw in the movie theaters - they're even worse than I'd imagined!

I finally got cable in time to watch all of S4 of Game of Thrones. So I have access to cable TV series.

I'm absolutely uninterested in zombies or drug pushers; hence no Walking Dead or Breaking Bad (if it's on in reruns) for me. I saw a preview of Spartacus: Blood and Sand which splattered blood all over like a geyser; and decided not to watch it.

The current show that interests me the most is Halt and Catch Fire, a drama about computer innovation in 1980's Texas (that plays much better than my summary).

I've watched a few episodes of The Musketeers; decent entertainment with hunky guys and Peter Capaldi (the new Doctor Who) as Richelieu.

Tyrant is my new guilty pleasure, because the lead actor (Adam Rayner) is gorgeous; even if I think his character is a naive idiot who needs to take his family and go back to California before they're all murdered by angry mobs...

Dominion is kinda fun in an over-the-top way; I like the angel battles.

I saw one episode of Extant and might watch more.

I think I missed a big Dr. Who event, but hope to see it again.

And I've been able to watch three of the four Twilight movies that I never saw in the movie theaters - they're even worse than I'd imagined!

Man, forget about Halt and Catch Fire. It could be a good show, but have you ever tried Mad Men or something? Because HCF it's pretty much a cheap spin off.

I really think you should try Breaking Bad. Really. It's an amazing show, with an amazing writing and it's not about pushing drugs. Just think about someone saying that ASOIAF it's about dragons. Now, that wouldn't be fair, would it?

I have watched a couple of great movies the past few days :D

Yesterday I went to the cinema to see 'Boyhood'. It's amazing, kind of baffling that it doesn't have its own thread on here yet. It's definitely the best movie of Linklater I have seen so far (I have seen Dazed and Confused, Before Sunrise and the School of Rock), I'll check out his other films soon. It's a very long movie (like 166 minutes), but I most certainly didn't feel the movies length. I could have kept on watching, that's how great it is.

There's no real plot and the movie is basically a succession of short films and yet it's completely mesmerizing. His dialogue and characters feel so real (without being tedious) and you either deeply care for them or at the very least you understand their PoV. It's also a lot more timeless than I thought it would be.

Sure, there are references to Dragonball Z and Gotye but it's not one big nostalgia trip. Going in, I was worried that that might take up the main part of the movie. I would have liked it still, since I'm only a year or two older than Mason Jr. and the movie basically takes place during my own formative years, but it would definitely have been a lesser movie.

The timeless aspect of this movie makes this great to rewatch, not very often probably due to its length, but if you ever need something profound than you just have to watch Boyhood. It's also a movie that I think all fathers should watch with their sons. If I ever have a son, I believe watching Boyhood together would be a great coming of age rite.

Anyway, Boyhood is a great movie. Every good thing you heard about it is true, go watch it in theatres if you have the chance, support this dauntingly different movie :D

The day before that I saw another great movie, namely Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes by Werner Herzog. This movie is really surreal, both the actual movie as the making of it. First the making: the filming was done with one camera, stolen by Herzog a few years ago, everyone (cast and crew) lived on rafts like the ones used in the film. The conditions were so gruelling and dangerous for cast and crew that the lead, Klaus Kinski, wanted to quit. Apparently, Herzog wouldn't let him, even going as far as pulling a gun on him to force him to keep on acting.

That's one of the great strengths of this motion picture, everything you see is real. When you see the actors struggling to geth through a swamp the actors are really pushing all the heavy equipment through a real life swamp in the Amazon rainforest. Herzog must have been almost as crazy as his protagonist Aguirre.

The movie itself is great. Kinski's Aguirre is threatening, the true embodiment of a mad man. The whole movie just oozes threat and menace. The terror the other members of the expedition feel for Aguirre and for the hostile environment is tangible. The cinematography is gorgeous and foreboding. Much and more is written about the opening and the ending shot. Aside from the fact that they are both mesmerizing (especially the ending), I'd like to add that the end scene seems to have inspired a Victarion chapter in ADWD.

When the monkeys take over Victarion's ship, it reminds me a bit of Aguirre's ending, with the apes running over his imaginary kingdom

Aguirre is a must watch for every filmlover. It has inspired so many other film (including Apocalyps Now, which heavily 'borrowed' from Aguirre).

I also saw two great animated movies.

First Felidae, a cultmovie from Germany. It tells the tale of a cat Francis who moves into a new neighborhood and get's involved with some pretty dark stuf. I'm not going to spoil what the movie is about (just watch 4 minutes and you'll know), but just know that it has some pretty graphic stuff in there. Not something you can watch with your four year old who loves the AristoCats :p I watched it in German with English subtitles, they are not so hard to find, but there is also an English dub available.

The second one I saw was Mononoke-hime (aka Princess Mononoke). I can't really tell anything new about it, since I'm probably the last guy on this forum who hadn't seen it, but the movie is again great. The story was exciting (the bad guy in particular was refreshing), the themes deep, it was gorgeous to look at and the ending was anything but your standard Disney fare.

Highly recommend: The Wire, Rome, Downton Abbey, Boardwalk Empire, House of Cards, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Dexter (seasons 1-4 preferably), True Detective, Homeland (I think it peaked after the first season. Dana about ruined the show)

Watching: Trying to get into The Leftovers, but a meager start so far (only watched the first 2 eps), Orange is the New Black

Want to Watch: Just missed Downton Abbey season 5 so gotta wait for dvd release :dunce:,

I keep hearing about how messed up Hannibal is, and I keep thinking 'How messed up can a network series really be?'. Doesn't NBC have to keep things relatively family-friendly?

I just watched HBO's new documentary "The Newburgh Sting" last night, about the FBI operation leading to the arrest and conviction of four men in the Bronx on terrorism charges in 2009. The film makes a pretty strong case for the entrapment defense the men had claimed in trial, and showed them (via FBI surveillance footage) to be more con men or hired guns than Islamic militants. Still not sure how to feel about the case, but it's a good watch.

I keep hearing about how messed up Hannibal is, and I keep thinking 'How messed up can a network series really be?'. Doesn't NBC have to keep things relatively family-friendly?

The answer would appear to be no.

Although I guess there's no nudity. That might be all that counts.

Just watched another Myazaki flick, this time it was 1984's Kaze no tani no Naushika (Nausica of the valley of the wind). I enjoyed this even more than Mononoke-hime. Naushika's score wasn't as good as Mononokes, animation and characters were on a par but Naushika's world was even more fascinating than Mononokes was. I'm seriously thinking about trying to get the manga series set in Naushika's world.

Highly recommend: The Wire, Rome, Downton Abbey, Boardwalk Empire, House of Cards, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Dexter (seasons 1-4 preferably), True Detective, Homeland (I think it peaked after the first season. Dana about ruined the show)

Watching: Trying to get into The Leftovers, but a meager start so far (only watched the first 2 eps), Orange is the New Black

Want to Watch: Just missed Downton Abbey season 5 so gotta wait for dvd release :dunce:,

Downton Abbey's popularity continues to baffle me. Don't get me wrong, it's a well-made series and the acting is top notch, but it's something we have seen a thousand times before. The contrast and relationships between the Upstairs and the downstairs residents, the changes that came about as a result of WWI, etc.

It's all been done before. In fact the Brits already made fun of the omnipresence of this type of period drama with You Rang, M'Lord in 1988 (excellent comedy series btw). I just can't wrap my head around the fact that something like Downton Abbey is so hyped and even gets nominated for an emmy for best dramaseries while other more deserving shows like Hannibal and Vikings are left out.

Been starting up Hannibal S2. Still one of the best shows on TV.

Fixed that :P

The best advice for the show is still "Do not watch while eating."

Really? I always watch Hannibal while eating, the things he puts on the table just look so tasty that I enjoy my own meals more :D

Just watched another Myazaki flick, this time it was 1984's Kaze no tani no Naushika (Nausica of the valley of the wind). I enjoyed this even more than Mononoke-hime. Naushika's score wasn't as good as Mononokes, animation and characters were on a par but Naushika's world was even more fascinating than Mononokes was. I'm seriously thinking about trying to get the manga series set in Naushika's world.

Downton Abbey's popularity continues to baffle me. Don't get me wrong, it's a well-made series and the acting is top notch, but it's something we have seen a thousand times before. The contrast and relationships between the Upstairs and the downstairs residents, the changes that came about as a result of WWI, etc.

It's all been done before. In fact the Brits already made fun of the omnipresence of this type of period drama with You Rang, M'Lord in 1988 (excellent comedy series btw). I just can't wrap my head around the fact that something like Downton Abbey is so hyped and even gets nominated for an emmy for best dramaseries while other more deserving shows like Hannibal and Vikings are left out.

Fixed that :P

Really? I always watch Hannibal while eating, the things he puts on the table just look so tasty that I enjoy my own meals more :D

A simple concept, yes, but brilliant writing and acting. Character arcs and plotlines are interesting. I can't say that I've seen a bunch of shows like this before. Can you mention any more of the ones that are similar besides You Rang, M'lord?

Archived