If it wasn't for

horizon

Howland Reed then Eddard Stark would have died at the Tower of Joy at the hands of Arthur Dayne.

Okay must be done to death but couldn't find it.

Perhaps Howland Reed did not save Eddard at that place with a sword in his hand but perhaps he had a greenseer dream and told Eddard. So Eddard knew what Arthur was planning to do and thus was saved by Howland due foresight.

Right? Jojen has greenseer dreams.

Jojen has greendreams but he's not a greenseer.

And I think it probably came down to Howland using his net or something to distract/trip up Arthur, and that allowed Ned an opening to kill him. This is one of those things that I think gets way overblown ("Howland warged Arthur!"). Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best one.

This is how it went down. Arthur is about to kill Ned. Howland uses his swamp powers and summons a frog. He than tosses the frog at Arthur. Arthur laughs so hard his heart implodes. Howland than retrieves the frog and causally places it in his pockets. Ned pretends not to notice

He would have killed me but for Howland Reed. ”

Eddard Stark

I dunno. Don't you think the author is being deliberately vague? Howland has a moving castle. He has to be good for more than his physical prowess.

Yes.

Howland might have saved his life a number of ways. Fast talking, distraction, brokering a peace deal, offering to fight in Ned's place... The options are numerous.

It seems icky from a storytelling prespective. Howland sees a dream that Ned is fighting Arthur Dayne and Arthur Dayne uses a certain move, so he tells Ned how to avoid that move by describing it? It seems pretty lame. Also green dreams are supposed to be unavoidable so if he saw sth like that then Ned would be a dead man. Plus it doesn't add anything to the story other than there would be if Howland Reed just helped a lot in the battle with his fighting skills/ cleverness.

Jojen has greendreams but he's not a greenseer.

And I think it probably came down to Howland using his net or something to distract/trip up Arthur, and that allowed Ned an opening to kill him. This is one of those things that I think gets way overblown ("Howland warged Arthur!"). Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best one.

Yup. Howland taught Meera to fight. Meera subdues a direwolf with a net. It seems quite logical that this same move could be used to trip up a human.

Archived