Mel has no slave tat

MandrakeWench

The glamour concept does not work with the facts either. A glamour does not change the substance of a person, which would make Melisandre hesitant about touching other people, much less fucking them.

The reason she looks young is that she was young when she died.

Heh.

But seriously, I´ve speculated that she wears the poor girl Melony´s body similar to how Arya wore the Ugly Girl´s face. I´m not sure that I like this idea any longer though.

Also, as Danelle said slave tattoos as far as we know are used in Volantis and it´s sphere of influence, like Selhorys.

I´ve speculated that the red temple used a prostitute´s body for Melissandre´s spirit, because of her saying "and her tears were flame" when Melony´s memories came unbidden, because in Volantis prostitutes wear tear tattoos while the red temple´s slaves wear flames.

Just to add, I´ve seen it mentioned a few times now in other threads that the red temple employs slaves as temple prostitutes, but I don´t think that´s the case. I think the red priests wear the flame tattoos to show their afiliation and it´s only the Volantene who regard them as slaves. Benero wears flame tattoos and he runs the red temple of Volantis.

Heh.

But seriously, I´ve speculated that she wears the poor girl Melony´s body similar to how Arya wore the Ugly Girl´s face. I´m not sure that I like this idea any longer though.

Also, as Danelle said slave tattoos as far as we know are used in Volantis and it´s sphere of influence, like Selhorys.

I´ve speculated that the red temple used a prostitute´s body for Melissandre´s spirit, because of her saying "and her tears were flame" when Melony´s memories came unbidden, because in Volantis prostitutes wear tear tattoos while the red temple´s slaves wear flames.

Just to add, I´ve seen it mentioned a few times now in other threads that the red temple employs slaves as temple prostitutes, but I don´t think that´s the case. I think the red priests wear the flame tattoos to show their afiliation and it´s only the Volantene who regard them as slaves. Benero wears flame tattoos and he runs the red temple of Volantis.

Benero could have been a slave before. Thoros, who is from Myr apparently does not have any tatoos. Tatooing people is just Volantis thing.

Mel being an old lady doesn't make that much of a sense and her appearance being a glamour is possible but unlikely. Glamour is just an illusion that first, doesn't conceal things from a touch, and second, can be easily quite easily seen through by many people, like kindly man said to Arya.

Great thing about e-books = keyword search. In the Mel POV chapter she is def physically affected when bloodraven sees her, making her bleed. Like she says a gift requires a sacrifice & her glamours/spells cost in pain etc. Bloodraven works through dreams--that's when he gets at Bran & that's how the great other can get at you. That's why Mel dislikes falling asleep. Also because she dreams of Melony & lot 7, before she was anointed by R'hlor. Slave tat or no she is not exactly as she appears.

Again, the glamour idea makes no sense at all. Many need to go back and re-read the scene of Jon battling Mance Rayder. A glamour has no effect on the substance of a person. Stannis Baratheon would know if he was fucking an eighty year old crone, who apparently has no issues riding a horse into battle or undertaking any other similar physical exertions.

Moreover, someone that does not need to sleep or eat, radiates heat like a fire, and bleeds black liquid, is not a normal person under a glamour, much less an old woman at that.

Again, the glamour idea makes no sense at all. Many need to go back and re-read the scene of Jon battling Mance Rayder. A glamour has no effect on the substance of a person. Stannis Baratheon would know if he was fucking an eighty year old crone, who apparently has no issues riding a horse into battle or undertaking any other similar physical exertions.

Moreover, someone that does not need to sleep or eat, radiates heat like a fire, and bleeds black liquid, is not a normal person under a glamour, much less an old woman at that.

This. Like kindly man said to Arya, glamour is just an illusion, a play of light and shadows and sharp eyes will be able to see through it. Fooling everyone with it to such an extent is very unlikely.

Did I say she was a normal person? No. I just said she was under a glamour. Given how she references "years beyond counting", she's almost certainly some sort of supernatural being, one whose normal appearance would freak the shit out of anyone. So she camouflages it.

Did I say she was a normal person? No. I just said she was under a glamour. Given how she references "years beyond counting", she's almost certainly some sort of supernatural being, one whose normal appearance would freak the shit out of anyone. So she camouflages it.

That, I believe, is the wrong assumption. Yes, she is a supernatural being. As I stated above, I think she is the walking dead. A glamour though, hiding an old body, makes no sense with the facts we know. Her physical exertions make the basis of that argument crumble from the very start.

Maybe there are glamours and then there are glamours and the technique used by the FM, or the one to disguise Mance, are not as thorough as whatever is working on Mel.

Maybe there are glamours and then there are glamours and the technique used by the FM, or the one to disguise Mance, are not as thorough as whatever is working on Mel.

Honestly, why look for a more convoluted explanation that is not currently supported by any available information when there is already a much more plausible explanation that makes a whole lot more sense?

Melisandre's youthful body and the fact that she does not need normal human nourishment are directly linked.

One need only think about what other persons in the story do not sleep and eat like normal people.

Well shit, you have me convinced against the glamour.

She likely looks like an old crone. She uses the glamour to look glamorous (Sorry, couldn't resist) and chooses to appear young, vibrant and healthy. Besides, face tats are decidedly unattractive.

Stannis banged her. I can't wait til he sees. Or maybe it still turns out better than his wife.

Here's what I think about Melisandre's backstory;

Her real name was Melony, she was a slave, so was her mom. She's not from Asshai. She said her tears were flames; in Volantis tears are tattoed on whores, flames are tattoed on slaves of R'hllor, one of the jobs in The Red Temple is being a temple prostitute, it makes sense if R'hllorists tattooe flame tears on their temple prostitues, it also works in the narrative way; we see the greates temple of R'hllor in the same book where we learn Melisandre was a slave? Coincidence? I think not!!

She uses glamor to hide her apperance. Glamors do not radiate heat but the ruby, ie the source of glamor, does. Mance said some nights his ruby is as warm as her kisses, and some nights it burns him, Mel radiates so much heat that she melts snow, which means her glamor is powerful, it even burns her while she was maintaining Rattleshirt's glamor at the same time.

I believe she's not (un)dead or resurrected. But I believe she's something like a fiery Bloodraven or the Undying, I mean I think she's immortal in a magical way. So far, all the immortal beings paid dear prices. The Undying and Bloodraven are no longer humans and have to sit in the same chair for years. But we know that fire magic is different, I think Moqorro and Melisandre are burned alive in order to become immortal beings, it also explains why Moqorro is unnaturally black and Mel hides her true form, because she's black in an impossible way. They don't need to drink, eat or sleep.

Yeah.

Honestly, why look for a more convoluted explanation that is not currently supported by any available information when there is already a much more plausible explanation that makes a whole lot more sense?

Melisandre's youthful body and the fact that she does not need normal human nourishment are directly linked.

One need only think about what other persons in the story do not sleep and eat like normal people.

Well, call it a glamour or some other kind of magic. The point is that if Mel is extremely old or even dead, the disguise is much more thorough than the FM or Mance's Rattleshirt -- enough to fool even Stannis during the act.

And the only other characters that don't eat or sleep like normal people are Beric, Lady Stoneheart and, I'm guessing here, Robert Strong -- all of whom are technically dead.

Archived