Fiction book suggestions that are not fantasy

dylan

Im one of those readers that started out with Harry Potter and have been reading only really fantasy ever since. I've read a lot of fantasy and thats still my genre of choice but would like to venture out and try other non fantasy novels. For example I just kind of want to read a non fantasy book in between some Malazan Book of the Fallen books which is a series I'm reading currently. Anyone have suggestions? I was thinking of checking out Animal Farm, but thats fantasy too really lol.

If you are young at heart check out Ransome's "Swallows and Amazons" for a wonderful evocative story of summer holidays. (If adults read Harry Potter, I do not see why they shouldn't be reading Ransome's books. They are a dozen or so altogether, not all are equally good, but almost all worthwhile)

Or some adventure classics. My favorite is probably still Stevenson's "Treasure Island"

Hmm, well, do you like period pieces? Most of my favorites lie within that realm.

1. Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian - historical naval fiction: two men sail together in the British navy spanning the Napoleonlic wars and beyond. Long series, but great writing and fun to read. Has a lot of action, but the best part of the story is the interaction between the two main characters.

2. Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas - both are amazing action novels that have great characters and a brisk pace. Both have revenge as a motivating force.

3. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain - I guess it depends on your tastes, but Mark Twain is an amazing writer, and this is an amazing book. It is hilarious and was one book I just absolutely could not put down from start to finish.

4. Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (abridged version) - fugitive on the run, cop who mercilessly hunts him...I just love this book. I never recommend the abridged version of anything, but Hugo goes on tangents that have absolutely nothing to do with the story itself, so the abridged version is the better bet.

I could probably go on all day naming books I love, but for me, genre isn't a barrier. I simply prefer well-written, well-told stories. I do love action, humor and emotion in books, and all of the above have them. Good luck!

Perhaps you should check out some work of Gabriel García Márquez. Try 'Love in the time of Cholera'. It's definitely great literature, but because it's magical realism, the jump from fantasy isn't as jarring. Márquez prose is riveting and I didn't put the book down until I finished it.

Another great writer you might find appealing (especially if you love the darker scenes in ASOIAF) is Cormac McCarthy. Start with 'The Road'. It's short, fast paced and a total punch in the gut.

If you're just looking for adventure and a few laughs, then try the Flashman papers (starting with the first book Flashman) by George MacDonald Fraser. I actually discovered him thanks to this forum and his adventures have been a favorite of mine ever since.

Are those Flashman books available in the US and my B&N just really suck that much, or are they a british thing?

You can probably find them on Amazon or something like that. I live in mainland Europe and I was able to get them through a local online store, so they should definitely be available in the US.

I would definitely agree with the people suggesting Iain Banks, maybe start with The Wasp Factory or The Player of Games. I also recommend Paul Auster's The New York Trilogy if you're looking for a page turner :)

This is an extraordinarily broad question. We can throw out suggestions, but without a better handle on your taste, they're going to be all over the map. As you can probably see, since you're getting recommendations for sci-fi, historical fiction, and classic lit.

As a general recommendation for non-SF/F genre fiction, you might consider The Shadow of the Wind by Zafón.

You know, I have never read Goodkind (I have the first book from somewhere, can't remember). This forum has discouraged me from starting his series, but I'm really curious... Why does everyone on here hate him? Are his books that awful? And if so, in what way are they awful? Are they awful in a Transformers style or are his books the literary equivalent to something like Birdemic?

Archived