jons resurection and "salt and smoke"

hauckie91

Ok, this may have been thought of already, but here goes...

Jon is dead, and like a lot of people assume, he warged ghost in his last seconds.

Jons body is taken to cold storage where the nights watch stores their food supplies.

Meat is treated with salt and smoke to preserve it for long periods of time.

Mel brings Jon back to a soulless state of living ala kahl drogo.

Jon wargs back to his body...

Thus he is born again amongst salt and smoke.

Why would they be trying to preserve Jon's body for a long period of time? Wouldn't they just burn him? Even if they do put his body in the ice cells, I don't believe they salted or smoked the other bodies currently stored there.

First point: Jon is not dead. He is still breathing, and feeling at the end of his last POV chapter in ADwD.

Second point: totally possible. But as we have a star bleeding (Ser Patrek), some smoke (from the wounds, which I found intriguing), and salt (from Bowen's tears) we already have the necessary ingredients without throwing Jon in the meat locker.

Why would they be trying to preserve Jon's body for a long period of time? Wouldn't they just burn him? Even if they do put his body in the ice cells, I don't believe they salted or smoked the other bodies currently stored there.

You seem to have missed that the OP isn't talking about Jon just being put in an ice cell but actually put in with the meat stores. Oxygen absorption is best at cooler temps, so if he's in a coma they might keep him on ice, so to speak. Dead, yeah they'd probably burn his body.

I'm thinking they will be burning his body and he'll rise up amid the flames, reborn.

This is a cool idea but since it's already been used with Daenerys, I'm thinking it probably won't be that way for Jon. Though I'd love to see him walk slowly out of the flames, go right up to Bowen and say "BOO!"

First point: Jon is not dead. He is still breathing, and feeling at the end of his last POV chapter in ADwD.

Second point: totally possible. But as we have a star bleeding (Ser Patrek), some smoke (from the wounds, which I found intriguing), and salt (from Bowen's tears) we already have the necessary ingredients without throwing Jon in the meat locker.

You seem to have missed that the OP isn't talking about Jon just being put in an ice cell but actually put in with the meat stores. Oxygen absorption is best at cooler temps, so if he's in a coma they might keep him on ice, so to speak. Dead, yeah they'd probably burn his body.

This is a cool idea but since it's already been used with Daenerys, I'm thinking it probably won't be that way for Jon. Though I'd love to see him walk slowly out of the flames, go right up to Bowen and say "BOO!"

Good point with the smoke from wounds etc

It is interesting to see how this could happen if he is warged into Ghost and Melisandre does the same thing as Thoros. Could be that unlike Beric Dondarrion and presumably Lady Stoneheart Jon will be able to warg his entire soul back into his body

Because we are all expecting it, I personally suscept GRRM will leave it until second half of the book just because everyone is expecting it and he wants to keep people on tenterhooks

I think Azor Ahai might be both Jon and Dany, whereas Dany was re-born amidst the smoke of Drogo's funeral Pyre, Jon may be re-born amidst the Salt of the Storerooms beneath the wall (perhaps the magic in the Wall will play some part) - interestingly he only felt the cold when the fourth knife went in. Presumably from death...

Interestingly, given Ghost and Mormonts Raven were locked in the Armoury area, when Jon is warged into Ghost I expect that similar to the Weir Tree in ACoK he will be able to have a full blown conversation with whoever is warged into Mormonts Raven (Brynden Rivers of Bran) and become highly informed

Similar to Dany somewhat fully realising her Dragon self (by actually hatching full blown Dragon eggs) Jon will re-awaken with some of his fully fledged powers (or at least the Ice powers, whatever they are exactly, presumably Warg but anything else?)

"Then Bowen Marsh stood there before him, tears running down his cheeks. 'For the Watch.' He punched Jon in the belly. When he pulled his hand away, the dagger stayed where he had buried it."

"Jon fell to his knees. He found the dagger's hilt and wrenched it free. In the cold night air the wound was smoking. 'Ghost', he whispered."

All the proof I'll personally ever need.

I know Lady Blizzardborn just mentioned these, but I thought a direct pull from the text would help. :cool4:

The smoke from the wounds is natural. Blood is warm once it hits cold air it becomes steam/smoke. It's like breathing into cold air. I'm not saying this disqualifies the event just that there isn't anything strange about it.

The smoke from the wounds is natural. Blood is warm once it hits cold air it becomes steam/smoke. It's like breathing into cold air. I'm not saying this disqualifies the event just that there isn't anything strange about it.

Don't think anyone saying that it is strange. The fact that it is mentioned during the attempted assassination of a strong PWWP candidate is what makes it interesting and noteworthy.

Marsh and company would like to have proff of Jon´s death for when the Boltons arrive... the ice cells will preserve the body.

Jon wasn't killed, George himself has basically confirmed this. Also, "reborn" could mean alot of different things.

This. We don't know how this ends, what it triggers or what even happens next. It's a bit premature to say that these things don't fit the 'exact' definition of a vague prophecy when we don't even know what the outcome of Jon's attack will be.

Yes it is natural. It's the author's choice of smoke, where it should technically be steam, that I find intriguing. Didn't mean to say it was strange. It's the wording that caught my interest--made me think of those Fire and Blood people. ;)

Yes it is natural. It's the author's choice of smoke, where it should technically be steam, that I find intriguing. Didn't mean to say it was strange. It's the wording that caught my interest--made me think of those Fire and Blood people. ;)

Gotcha! :D

Archived