Solution to Jaime's missing sword hand

Since Jaime lost his hand, we've seen him go through a lot of problems because of it. One of the biggest ones being that he has to learn how to fight using his left hand, since his fancy gold prosthetic one is near useless, and can only be used to hold a shield at best. For a while now, I've been hoping that someone in Westeros would think of the solution that I did, not long after a replacement hand was suggested in the first place. A solution that enables him to use his right arm, so he doesn't have to entirely start over learning how to fight.

Replace Jaime's sword hand, with a sword. As in a sword blade, attached to a prosthesis that could be strapped to his arm with a brace that could be covered by his armor.

This way, he's still capable of fighting with his dominant arm, and won't be beaten by absolutely anyone who is decent with a sword.

Any thoughts/suggestions/constructive criticism?

There isn't a secure way to replace it with a captain hook style sword attachment for his hand that will hold up to the beating of even a light skirmish, let alone a full scale battle.

Not to mention the sheer impracticability. Either walk around with a sword out everywhere you go outside your own chambers, or ask your assailant to wait patiently while you put it on.

Since Jaime lost his hand, we've seen him go through a lot of problems because of it. One of the biggest ones being that he has to learn how to fight using his left hand, since his fancy gold prosthetic one is near useless, and can only be used to hold a shield at best. For a while now, I've been hoping that someone in Westeros would think of the solution that I did, not long after a replacement hand was suggested in the first place. A solution that enables him to use his right arm, so he doesn't have to entirely start over learning how to fight.

Replace Jaime's sword hand, with a sword. As in a sword blade, attached to a prosthesis that could be strapped to his arm with a brace that could be covered by his armor.

This way, he's still capable of fighting with his dominant arm, and won't be beaten by absolutely anyone who is decent with a sword.

Any thoughts/suggestions/constructive criticism?

The hand and the wrist movement are pretty important,

they act as shock absorbers and aid in leverage.

any blow deflected would be incredibly painful

any blow delivered would be weak.

maneuverability and angling would be impossible.

If he were killing pigs or immobilized people it would be a good solution.... against an armed and armored foe... not so much

Won't a shield have to deal with a lot more stress in battle than a sword though? And yet they strap a shield to his new hand like it isn't a problem

Every shield I've seen in movies/museums/drawings that straps on straps about the forearm, not the hand. Force of a man trying to kill you on tiny bones of hand = bad. Force of a man trying to kill you on large bone in arm = not bad.

I'll admit, it probably isn't the most practical idea. I just thought it would be a bit better than the replacement he has, which is mentioned again and again as being pretty much useless. Plus he would no longer have to learn the reverse of every sword technique and stance.

I will admit that my idea is not without flaws.

I'll admit, it probably isn't the most practical idea. I just thought it would be a bit better than the replacement he has, which is mentioned again and again as being pretty much useless. Plus he would no longer have to learn the reverse of every sword technique and stance.

I will admit that my idea is not without flaws.

Effectively, the idea becomes worse than what he has now. While it's certainly creative and sounds good at first, the details kick it in the but, like so many promising ideas.

The most practical solutions is to simply abandon the sword. Accept that he's no longer the best, but can still be good.

Strap a buckler to the prosthetic and wield a warhammer or morning star in the left. Rely on your excellant armour and experience. Make sure you have stalwart retainers around you in battle.

He can still be effective on a battlefield, just no longer the best in one on one.

Qyburn is actively frankensteining, Jaime needs a hand, and Tommen needs a new Hand. What's to speculate?

That Tommen's hand will be removed and grafted on to Jaime's arm, to provide Tommen with a fully functioning hand?

That Jaime's de-hand-itated hand will be given a consciousness and sign language, to rule as Tommen's hand?

Something else way more crackpot than those?

That Tommen's hand will be removed and grafted on to Jaime's arm, to provide Tommen with a fully functioning hand?

That Jaime's de-hand-itated hand will be given a consciousness and sign language, to rule as Tommen's hand?

Something else way more crackpot than those?

Uh no, that Qyburn will say he can replace Jaime's hand, and Jaime will go for it.

Silly.

Magic is rising in the world. I wish someone would enchant that gold hand so it is a functioning hand.

If Qyburn can make a damn frankenstein monster (possibly headless!), then someone can enchant that golden hand!

EDIT: Eh, that would give Jaime Lannister something in common with Luke Skywalker. A weird notion.

The hand and the wrist movement are pretty important,

they act as shock absorbers and aid in leverage.

any blow deflected would be incredibly painful

any blow delivered would be weak.

maneuverability and angling would be impossible.

If he were killing pigs or immobilized people it would be a good solution.... against an armed and armored foe... not so much

This what I was thinking. I'd think wrist movement would be very important for the best fighters with skill and finesse. Maybe it would work better for a pure brute strength fighter that mostly makes broad power swings. I picture healthy Jamie as more of a point guard with quick, unbelievable, and almost unstoppable moves rather than a power forward or center like the Clegane brothers.

This what I was thinking. I'd think wrist movement would be very important for the best fighters with skill and finesse. Maybe it would work better for a pure brute strength fighter that mostly makes broad power swings. I picture healthy Jamie as more of a point guard with quick, unbelievable, and almost unstoppable moves rather than a power forward or center like the Clegane brothers.

Even the Cleganes would have problems minus a hand.

Pick up a hammer in your hand in any position you wish.

Then try to hit a nail without moving your hand or wrist.

You can do it... it just takes a little practice,

After you do figure out how to do it. Try to hit the nail as hard as you can.

after a little practice you should be able to hit it pretty hard.

Then do the same hard hitting using your hand and wrist.

The difference in power is substantial.

The difference in accuracy is more.

Now apply that to a sword...

Archived