Robb, the son Tywin always wanted?

Wmarshal

I think Jaime is the son Twin always wanted, Jaime just made some poor decisions (namely being named to/not resigning from the Kingsguard). Robb has talent as a military strategist, which Tywin respects, but Tywin sees himself as the strategist, so I'm not sure if he'd prefer a son to have the exact same skills or complementary ones, such as Jaime being such a brilliant one on one fighter.

The liking Westerlands women thing is a silly point. Tywin wanted his children to marry important families from other lands - he tried to set Jaime up with Lysa Tully, remember. Marrying his son to Jeyne Westerling would be an utter waste. Furthermore, Robb's decision to marry her Jeyne "for honor" wouldn't have gone over well, because Tywin cares more about the honor of his family than of "some girl." If Tywin was willing to do what he did to Tysha, he wouldn't have acted positively toward the Westerlings.

Tywin would only he satisfied with someone as ruthless as himself, but at the same time absolutely obedient to him. Just never going to happen. I don't think Tywin would ever have a moment where he was satisfied that his son had surpassed him.

Yes, that was my point earlier. Any son as ruthless as Tywin would never be as loyal as Tywin wanted him to be, and Tywin would see him as a rival.

Just an opinion, but I'd say someone like Garlan Tyrell is probably the closest in terms of the qualities of what Tywin would ideally look for in a son and heir - shrewd, confident but un-cocky, extremely family-oriented, as capable at court as he is in the field. In other words a good all-rounder with a clear sense of what he wants (e.g. A second son who has now been given a very respectable lordship with valuable territory/ incomes) because he knew how to press home advantage at the right time.

I think Tywin would have been very happy to have Robb as a son. He would have seen him as the charismatic young lion who he had to school, and he would have loved to have had Robb as his heir and eldest son. Jaimie had the charisma but not the ambitions that Robb had.

Tywin would prefer Stannis, A son that is all about duty

He would have wanted Tyrion to be like Stannis.

The best suggestion is still Tyrion's mind in Jaime's body. That would give you a son who's a great knight, good looking, ruthless and obedient enough. Despite all the abuse Tyrion had to swallow, he remained loyal to his father's will for years. Now imagine what Tyrion would have done if Tywin would have actually loved him! He would be the perfect heir.

Out of the other suggestions raised here on this thread, I believe Tywin would also have been very happy with a son like Garlan Tyrell. Great warrior and indeed an all rounder like someone pointed out above.

reason Tywin could want Stannis as son.

1. Stannis is a good military leader(he couldn't expect wildfire)

2.Stannis choose family over king(before GOT)

3.Stannis won't embarrssed the family

Reason why he won't want Stannis as son

1.Stannis punished his men for war crimes

2.Stannis is about Justice

Just an opinion, but I'd say someone like Garlan Tyrell is probably the closest in terms of the qualities of what Tywin would ideally look for in a son and heir - shrewd, confident but un-cocky, extremely family-oriented, as capable at court as he is in the field. In other words a good all-rounder with a clear sense of what he wants (e.g. A second son who has now been given a very respectable lordship with valuable territory/ incomes) because he knew how to press home advantage at the right time.

:agree:

Randyll Tarly and Stevron Frey would also be sons Tywin would be satisfied with

Tyrion was the son he always wanted but he would never admit it.

I think Tywin would have been happy to have Robb as a son though: he was a great military commander, he took on the responsibility of ruling (unlike Jaime) and he was charismatic but firm. The negative is the honour but it was Ned who taught him that - if Robb had been Tywin's son, he would have been taught very different things. Having said that, Jaime believes in honour (when it's appropriate) and he clearly didn't get that from Tywin. Maybe Jaime would have been the son Tywin wanted if he had spent a bit more time with him.

another reason why Tywin would hate Stannis as a son

Tywin seem to discount Tyrion as his heir because of Tyrion having a disability. he also made tyrion life hell

Stannis seem to look pass his kid's disfigurement and see her as a good Heir by giving her a education that Arya would like to have(non knitting education)(stuff about History)

Tywin wanted all his kids rolled into one, a son as beautiful, skilled at arms and as strong as Jaime, as ruthless and strong willed as Cersei and as clever as Tyrion. Stick them all in sack and shake them up and ta dah! perfect offspring!

Robb's waaaay too much like Ned to be of any interest to Tywin. A complex mix of Eddard Stark and Hoster Tully? Nothing Tywin likes there, i think, far too moral and inflexable, much too worried about other people.

Archived