The Last Hero and Companions

Lord_Rahl

Hey all first thread for me, although been a lurker for sometime!

In regards to previous statement, this may have been covered elsewhere. If so I apologize.

So, who was the LH and his companions? Which family?

Where they just random people or selected for a reason?

What was their route when they went North?

Thanks guys! Looking forward to your opinions!

Also, when Old Nan talks about the LH she says that his sword broke because of the cold (paraphrasing), but Sam tells Jon that he found a tale where the LH slew the others with a blade of dragonsteel.

If this is indeed Valyrian Steel, then how on earth did it break? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that it wasn't just going to break for any old reason. Haha

Also, when Old Nan talks about the LH she says that his sword broke because of the cold (paraphrasing), but Sam tells Jon that he found a tale where the LH slew the others with a blade of dragonsteel.

If this is indeed Valyrian Steel, then how on earth did it break? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that it wasn't just going to break for any old reason. Haha

We know dragonsteel is most likely not Valyrian Steel, or that the sword of the Last Hero at least wasn't Valyrian Steel and that the sources Sam has are wrong for one reason: There were no steel in Westeros before the Andals, nor did Valyris yet exist at this point in time.

The Last Hero would have been from one of the First Men houses. Stark and Dayne are my top picks. Since Nan didn't finish the tale, I'd say it was only LH's first sword that broke. "The cold" likely means the icy swords of the others. Remember regular steel that goes up against Otherblades does shatter.

My best guess on dragonsteel is that it's a weapon made of dragon bone. Dragonbone is as strong as steel, far more flexible, and perhaps most importantly (particularly with AA/AAR thrown into the mix) impervious to fire. Remember what happened to the steel swords that were lit on fire? They melted. Dragonbone wouldn't. I'm thinking that the "steel" part of dragonsteel is because the story was set down a long time later, after the Andal invasion (they're the ones who brought steel to Westeros). The Septon or maester who recorded the tale couldn't think of any other way to describe it than to say dragonsteel.

The Last Hero would have been from one of the First Men houses. Stark and Dayne are my top picks. Since Nan didn't finish the tale, I'd say it was only LH's first sword that broke. "The cold" likely means the icy swords of the others. Remember regular steel that goes up against Otherblades does shatter.

My best guess on dragonsteel is that it's a weapon made of dragon bone. Dragonbone is as strong as steel, far more flexible, and perhaps most importantly (particularly with AA/AAR thrown into the mix) impervious to fire. Remember what happened to the steel swords that were lit on fire? They melted. Dragonbone wouldn't. I'm thinking that the "steel" part of dragonsteel is because the story was set down a long time later, after the Andal invasion (they're the ones who brought steel to Westeros). The Septon or maester who recorded the tale couldn't think of any other way to describe it than to say dragonsteel.

Great theory here I hadn't ever thought of that.

dragonsteel --> dragonglass. We know obsidian blades can kill Others but it's still a fairly weak and brittle material.

There is a theory out there that the LH was the first to make Valyrian Steel, additionally this same theory includes that obsidian is used in the creation of the material, thus resulting in the dark ripples within the metal.

I'd say Stark because I think there are elements of Bran's story that are playing out the LH story.

Set off to the far far north. He has his horse (Hodor), his dog (Summer), his "sword" (Meera perhaps) and other companions (Jojen who will most likely die in the North like the LH's companions)

What this means for Bran, I don't know but I wish Old Nan could finish her story!

And I like the idea of dragonbone = dragonsteel

There is a theory out there that the LH was the first to make Valyrian Steel, additionally this same theory includes that obsidian is used in the creation of the material, thus resulting in the dark ripples within the metal.

I don't think it was even a sword. It's more likely he used an obsidian spear like the CotF. The story was changed to make it a "knightly" tale and the obsidian/dragonglass became dragonsteel and the weapon became a sword. But that's my personal view, of course.

Dragonsteel is obsidian.

No, dragonglass is obsidian. Dragonsteel and dragonglass are two different things.

I think its a weapon made from dragon bones. The bones sounds metallic in all of its descriptions. I just read a passage that it takes dragonfire to melt it in GOT.

It is very metallic. It's black because of the high iron content. Good thing Tyrion is so interested in dragons. :D

I'd say Stark because I think there are elements of Bran's story that are playing out the LH story.

Set off to the far far north. He has his horse (Hodor), his dog (Summer), his "sword" (Meera perhaps) and other companions (Jojen who will most likely die in the North like the LH's companions)

What this means for Bran, I don't know but I wish Old Nan could finish her story!

And I like the idea of dragonbone = dragonsteel

I lean toward Stark as well. Daynes have to figure in somewhere, because they have a really special sword.

I think we will get the rest of LH's story. GRRM has been quoted as saying that readers should pay less attention to prophecies and more to Old Nan's stories. It wouldn't make sense for him to say that and then just leave us hanging.

ETA: remind me to post my LH/NK/BtB theory.

Archived