The books coming out in 2015

AncalagonTheBlack

Orion New Titles Catalogue (July 2015-January 2016)

https://www.orionbooks.co.uk/assets/OrionPublishingGroup/downloads/Catalogues/Orion-Catalogue-July-2015-to-January-2016.pdf

Tom Toner's The Promise of the Child will be released in November:

The most important debut SF novel in the last five years ā€“ the arrival of an astonishing young talent.

An extraordinarily inventive and hugely original SF novel that charts a compelling vision of a future and spins a hypnotic narrative around it. The richness and originality of its vision combined with its playful take on hard science make this a novel with real commercial potential that will be talked about for years and should launch a major career in SF. This is an SF novel like no other.

Tom Toner is a debut author. He studied fine art and painting, and collects fossilised shark teeth.

Latest on book #5 of Sword of Shadows by J. V. Jones: https://twitter.com/torbooks/status/542441285626249217

Surprising no one. People don't even sigh anymore when the next delay is announced.

On a thread-related note, is it too early to start concluding that 2016 might be the year in which many of our beloved big hitters are delivering?

It looks like Winds of Winter will be out next year, and before season 6 of the tv show if GRRM can help it.

Bakker's Unholy Consult confirmed for next year.

Robin Hobb has Fool's Quest in August this year and the final book in Summer 2016.

Guy Kay is releasing Children of Earth and Sky in Spring 2016.

That's 4 of my top 5 favorite writers releasing a book next year, and the other one is JRR Tolkien..

Surprising no one. People don't even sigh anymore when the next delay is announced.

On a thread-related note, is it too early to start concluding that 2016 might be the year in which many of our beloved big hitters are delivering?

It looks like Winds of Winter will be out next year, and before season 6 of the tv show if GRRM can help it.

Bakker's Unholy Consult confirmed for next year.

Robin Hobb has Fool's Quest in August this year and the final book in Summer 2016.

Guy Kay is releasing Children of Earth and Sky in Spring 2016.

That's 4 of my top 5 favorite writers releasing a book next year, and the other one is JRR Tolkien..

Unless I'm mistaken, Hobb has a name for the final book already, Assassin's Fate. In case you were interested. Where did you see the news about the final book being Summer 2016? I agree that is a pretty safe bet, but just wondering if there was an actual announcement of that

Speaking of heavy hitters and I know this is beating a dead horse but I have to wonder if Rothfuss finally finishes up and releases his last book in 2016.

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't he say way back when the first book was published that the writing was largely done for the series except for major edits? we are getting on 10 years now. How much editing can one person possibly do?

Unless I'm mistaken, Hobb has a name for the final book already, Assassin's Fate. In case you were interested. Where did you see the news about the final book being Summer 2016? I agree that is a pretty safe bet, but just wondering if there was an actual announcement of that

It's listed on Amazon UK already, plus there is the fact that she mentioned a good while ago already that the basic plan is for these two release a year apart, if she can manage it. And we know she generally does.

Yeah, 2016 is looking like it might be quite the year for big books from big authors, but a bunch of things still have to go right for that to happen. Happy thoughts, though!

Oh hey, Bakker's Unholy Consult is confirmed / sorta confirmed for 2016? When'd that happen? Awesome news. I want to know what men are being ever deceived about these days. And it has been far too long since I saw death come swirling down. [Any assumptions about how seriously I take Bakker's books at this point based on these statements are purely conjecture.]

Double post, sorry, but Orbit intends to serialize K J Parker's new project in ebook installments to be followed by collected print and electronic editions once it is done. It is called The Two of Swords and it starts next week. Behold:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/digital/content-and-e-books/article/66263-orbit-plans-to-serialize-new-k-j-parker-fantasy-epic.html

IO9 editor Charlie Jane Anders' first novel, All the Birds in the Sky, will be published by Tor in February 2016.

Double post, sorry, but Orbit intends to serialize K J Parker's new project in ebook installments to be followed by collected print and electronic editions once it is done. It is called The Two of Swords and it starts next week. Behold:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/digital/content-and-e-books/article/66263-orbit-plans-to-serialize-new-k-j-parker-fantasy-epic.html

IO9 editor Charlie Jane Anders' first novel, All the Birds in the Sky, will be published by Tor in February 2016.

Noticed that Parker was referred to as "he" multiple times in the article. Ploy to mislead us or truth?

Still waiting for the "big epic" with magic that was hinted a while ago.

This one doesn't seem that. It's said being longer than a novella but shorter than a novel?

The Two of Swords isn't going to be shorter than a novel; just the first three installments out of at least eight have a total equivalent print length of about 200 pages. The "not sure we can call it a novel" quote is about the project's unusual structure, not its length. The way it's being puffed by the publisher ("the story of a war on a grand scale, told through the eyes of its soldiers, politicians, victims, and heroes") does sound like the way they described the "big epic" trilogy when the first part was known as The Invincible Sun ("an extraordinary cast of characters, from soldier and generals to politics [sic] and princes"), and they're both about empires, but that doesn't mean much.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived