The books coming out in 2015

AncalagonTheBlack

Just a heads up for you all, but LEVIATHAN'S BLOOD will be Feb 2016 now.

(Maybe I should have called it BROOD...)

Any specific reason for the change/delay ?

In other news,Glen Duncan ,author of The Last Werewolf trilogy has a new book out today and it's called The Killing Lessons.This is a crime/thriller written under the name Saul Black - http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8004236.Saul_Black

Any specific reason for the change/delay ?

I fucked the start, basically. I did a little trick that I thought would save me time and words, but just made a hash out of the first third, so I rewrote it, pretty much from scratch. I probably could have gotten around it quicker - my editor didn't insist that I do it or anything like that, but we both knew it needed something. So, I'd rather do it right than have it being a half assed fix.

Then, unfortunately, my main editor in the UK left just as I handed it back. My new editor (who is as lovely as the first) wants to have a look through the changes and make sure we're all good, and I'm sure she has the usual workload adjustment of getting new authors... well, you see how delays are made.

It's a bit of a hassle for it to be delayed, I know, but it ensures the quality of it. Which I'm sure, someone somewhere who didn't like the book, will say something snarky about ;)

For everyone else, though, it's a small wait but a good one.

Seriously? Why?! It was done! All they had to do was retitle it so it didn't tread on that Kenyon series. For what possible reason?! Poor, poor Paul Kearney. He just cannot catch a break. Oh well, there's still The Wolf in the Attic waiting in the wings I suppose. Hopefully it comes out as strong as Solaris seems to think it will.

Listings on Amazon for Ace's stuff early next year include a book called Kingfisher by Patricia McKillip. If this is a new novel, as seems likely, it will be McKillip's first in just over five years. Due to the way the software I use interacts with the forum adding links takes me a stupidly long time, as I have to type the urls in manually; will do so later.

From Orbit Books:

The Serpent of Venice (Gameshouse Novella #1) by Claire North - 3 Nov. 2015
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gameshouse-Serpent-Venice-Novella-ebook/dp/B00XUDPG6M/

The Thief of Bangkok (Gameshouse Novella #2) by Claire North - 3 Nov. 2015
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gameshouse-Thief-Bangkok-Novella-ebook/dp/B00XUDPEKK/

The Master of the House (Gameshouse Novella #3) by Claire North - 3 Nov. 2015
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gameshouse-Master-House-Novella-ebook/dp/B00XUDPEM8/

From Orbit Books:

The Serpent of Venice (Gameshouse Novella #1) by Claire North - 3 Nov. 2015

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gameshouse-Serpent-Venice-Novella-ebook/dp/B00XUDPG6M/

The Thief of Bangkok (Gameshouse Novella #2) by Claire North - 3 Nov. 2015

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gameshouse-Thief-Bangkok-Novella-ebook/dp/B00XUDPEKK/

The Master of the House (Gameshouse Novella #3) by Claire North - 3 Nov. 2015

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gameshouse-Master-House-Novella-ebook/dp/B00XUDPEM8/

This looks cool. Love Claire North.

Excerpt from The Traitor Baru Cormorant, Chapter 1 by Seth Dickinson

Baru Cormorant believes any price is worth paying to liberate her people-even her soul. When the Empire of Masks conquers her island home, overwrites her culture, criminalizes her customs, and murders one of her fathers, Baru vows to swallow her hate, join the Empire’s civil service, and claw her way high enough to set her people free.

Sent as an Imperial agent to distant Aurdwynn, another conquered country, Baru discovers it’s on the brink of rebellion. Drawn by the intriguing duchess Tain Hu into a circle of seditious dukes, Baru may be able to use her position to help. As she pursues a precarious balance between the rebels and a shadowy cabal within the Empire, she orchestrates a do-or-die gambit with freedom as the prize. But the cost of winning the long game of saving her people may be far greater than Baru imagines.

Seth Dickinson’s highly anticipated debut novel, The Traitor Baru Cormorant, is available September 15th from Tor Books and Tor UK.

Coming on June 16: The War Against the Assholes by Sam Munson. The title and premise intrigue me, and it will probably be overlooked by many fantasy fans, since the title doesn't sound like a typical fantasy title. The book's description: "Contemporary fantasy meets true crime when schools of ancient sorcery go up against the art of the long con in this stunningly entertaining debut fantasy novel. Mike Wood is satisfied just being a guy with broad shoulders at a decidedly unprestigious Catholic school in Manhattan. But on the dirty streets of New York City he’s an everyman with a moral code who is unafraid of violence. And when Mike is unwittingly recruited into a secret cell of magicians by a fellow student, Mike’s role as a steadfast soldier begins. These magicians don’t use ritualized rote to work their magic, they use willpower in their clandestine war with the establishment: The Assholes."

• 2 weeks later...

HarperCollins to publish first George Macdonald Fraser novel in September

HarperCollins has acquired the first novel written by Flashman author George Macdonald Fraser, Captain in Calico.

The book will be published on 10th September, but throughout August, it will be available from Heywood Hill in Mayfair. Fraser was a longstanding customer at the shop, which organised the sale of his library in 2014.

Fraser was best known for his Flashman novels, featuring the charming anti-hero Harry Flashman. However, his first novel, Captain in Calico, is inspired by the real life story of pirate Calico Jack Rackham and his lover and fellow pirate, Anne Bonney.

The novel, written in the 1950s, was rejected by publishers, but kept in a safe in the author's study, before it was discovered after his death in 2008.

Fraser's daughter Caro Fraser said: "Captain in Calico would probably be even less likely to find a publisher today than sixty years ago, and we do not want readers to be deceived into thinking it is vintage George MacDonald Fraser, and of the standard of the Flashman novels or the McAuslan short stories. Indeed, we thought long and hard before allowing it to be published, and are only doing so because we believe that, as an early work, Captain in Calico is a delightful curiosity, one which we hope will provide fans of GMF with a fascinating insight into the inspirations and creative impulses that turned him into such a fine novelist."

Nicky Dunne of Heywood Hill said: "George MacDonald Fraser loved Heywood Hill. During August 2015, and for one month only, our little shop in Mayfair is set to be the only place in the world where George MacDonald Fraser fans can get their hands on his very first book. We are very proud that his family and publisher have chosen to recognise his relationship with our shop in this very special way."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Calico-George-MacDonald-Frase/dp/000810557X

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Calico-George-Macdonald-Fraser/dp/0802124380/

Blurb for This Census Taker:

For readers of George Saunders, Kelly Link, and Karen Russell, This Census Taker is the poignant and uncanny new novella from award-winning and bestselling author China Miéville.

After witnessing a profoundly traumatic event, a boy is left alone in a remote house on a hilltop with his increasingly deranged parent. When a stranger knocks on his door, the boy senses that his days of isolation are over—but by what authority does this man keep the meticulous records he carries? Is he the boy’s friend? His enemy? Or something altogether other?

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/533992/this-census-taker-by-china-mieville/hardcover

i know this was probably covered but there is supposed to be 20+ starwars books coming out. After the Caedus series* from what is now legends I cna't imagine that they could be any worse...

A fair part of them are comics and young adult books. There are only about 4 actual novels among them I think.

Have you read any of them? If so, are they any good? Reviews have been mixed.

None of the ones that are part of the "Journey to The Force Awakens" run, which is what you're referring to, have come out yet. The first aren't scheduled until Labor Day Weekend, which sees the launch of a ton of merchandising efforts in addition to the publication of "Star Wars: Aftermath" by Chuck Wendig.

Of the canon books that have been released since the Legends/EU decision last year, reviews are mixed.

A New Dawn - generally the best reviewed

Tarkin - a love it or hate it book, largely based on people's opinion of the author. I thought it was fine.

Heir to the Jedi - very mixed reviews - I was very "meh"

Lords of the Sith - generally positive reviews, but not everybody loved it

Dark Disciple comes out in a few weeks. That's a novelization of an unproduced Clone Wars arc.

None of the ones that are part of the "Journey to The Force Awakens" run, which is what you're referring to, have come out yet. The first aren't scheduled until Labor Day Weekend, which sees the launch of a ton of merchandising efforts in addition to the publication of "Star Wars: Aftermath" by Chuck Wendig.

Of the canon books that have been released since the Legends/EU decision last year, reviews are mixed.

A New Dawn - generally the best reviewed

Tarkin - a love it or hate it book, largely based on people's opinion of the author. I thought it was fine.

Heir to the Jedi - very mixed reviews - I was very "meh"

Lords of the Sith - generally positive reviews, but not everybody loved it

Dark Disciple comes out in a few weeks. That's a novelization of an unproduced Clone Wars arc.

There's a New Dawn/Tarkin omnibus coming out in October, I might pick that one up. Maybe the LotS paperback too. HttJ and Dark Disciple hold little appeal for me though. I like the main characters but I don't think I'd enjoy it.

I loved the Star Wars EU once upon a time. Spent money on the audio books like it was going out of style. I took the opportunity provided by the end of the New Jedi Order arc to gracefully exit / run very fast. I read one Legacy of the Force novel but it didn't really compel me to reconsider my exit decision and then in the middle of that series they

killed Mara Jade

which all good right-thinking folk know is weapons grade bullshit, so I never really looked back, though I did keep tabs on what was going on out of nostalgia and general interest and was bummed when the EU exploded. I had no intention to check out the new books even though I have New Dawn readily available to me. However, Aftermath is probably a trap I'll get suckered into, because it provides the first look at new continuity after Episode VI and I'm very very curious, plus I like Chuck Wendig. And Dark Disciple has Asajj fucking Ventress in it. So I'll Probably end up crumbling and reading both of those.

In news adjacent to but not directly related to sff, Robert Galbraith's [pseudonymous J. K. Rowling's] third Cormorant Strike mystery, Career of Evil, will be published in October this year.

Archived