The books coming out in 2015

AncalagonTheBlack

Django Wexler has a novella, "The Shadow of Elysium," coming out May 19, 2015, that is part of his "The Shadow Campaigns" series.

From the author of The Price of Valor, The Shadow Throne, and The Thousand Names comes a new novella set in the world of the Shadow Campaigns—"a world of dust and bayonets and muskets...and magic."*
The wagons travel north across the mountains, carrying cargo of great value: Hamveltai glass and porcelain; Deslandai jewelry in heavy iron strongboxes; fine cloth from the cities of the Old Coast. And Abraham.
Bound and tied, guarded day and night, Abraham has been stolen from his village, from the arms of the man he loved. He is being sent to the fortress-city of Elysium to serve a dark and ancient order, the Priests of the Black. They have discovered the secret he kept all his life: that inside him dwells a demon which allows him to heal…and to kill.
But Abraham is not alone. A young woman named Alex, similarly possessed, rides with him. And as a bond grows between them, they begin to wonder if they can turn the demons that have damned them into their salvation.

http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Elysium-Campaigns-ebook/dp/B00OZ0TKLQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1416104451&sr=1-1&keywords=the+shadow+of+elysium

The Casualties by Nick Holdstock

On Sale Date: June 2, 2015

In the vein of The Leftovers, a man recounts the final weeks of his neighborhood before the apocalyptic event which only a few of the eccentric residents will survive.

Samuel Clark likes secrets. He wants to know the hidden stories of the bizarre characters on the little streets of Edinburgh, Scotland. He wants to know about a nymphomaniac, a man who lives under a bridge, a girl with a cracked face. He wants to uncover their histories because he has secrets of his own. He believes, as people do, that he is able to change. He believes, as the whole world does, that there is plenty of time to solve his problems. But Samuel Clark and the rest of the world are wrong. Change and tragedy are going to scream into his and everyone’s lives. It will be a great transformation, a radical change; and it just might be worth the cost.

Written by a rising literary star whose work has been published in notoriously selective publications such as n+1 and The Southern Review, The Casualties is an ambitious debut novel that explores how we see ourselves, our past and our possible futures. It asks the biggest question: How can we be saved ?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Casualties-Novel-Nick-Holdstock/dp/1250059518

HOUSE OF SHATTERED WINGS and its sequel by multi award-winning author, Aliette de Bodard :

Publisher: Gollancz (20 August 2015)

Gollancz, an imprint of the Orion Publishing Group, are delighted to announce the acquisition of UK and Commonwealth rights to HOUSE OF SHATTERED WINGS and its sequel by multi award-winning author, Aliette de Bodard. Comparable to works of China Mieville and Iain M. Banks in epic scale and in delivering its ambitions, HOUSE OF SHATTERED WINGS is set in Paris amongst the aftermath of the Great Magicians War.

A new novel from the Nebula-award winning author of Obsidian and Blood, coming August 2015 from Gollancz, in hardcover and ebook format: Fallen angels, Vietnamese dragons, and entirely too many dead bodies!

A superb murder mystery, on an epic scale, set against the fall out – literally – of a war in Heaven.

Paris has survived the Great Magicians War – just. Its streets are lined with haunted ruins, Notre-Dame is a burnt-out shell, and the Seine runs black with ashes and rubble. Yet life continues among the wreckage. The citizens continue to live, love, fight and survive in their war-torn city, and The Great Houses still vie for dominion over the once grand capital.

House Silverspires, previously the leader of those power games, lies in disarray. Its magic is ailing; its founder, Morningstar, has been missing for decades; and now something from the shadows stalks its people inside their very own walls.

Within the House, three very different people must come together: a naive but powerful Fallen, an alchemist with a self-destructive addiction, and a resentful young man wielding spells from the Far East. They may be Silverspires’ salvation. They may be the architects of its last, irreversible fall…

http://aliettedebodard.com/bibliography/novels/house-shattered-wings/

http://zenoagency.com/news/gollancz-to-publish-new-aliette-de-bodard-novels/

The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson (Tor Books)

Pub. date: Fall 2015

Debut novelist Seth Dickinson’s THE TRAITOR BARU CORMORANT, an epic fantasy geopolitical tragedy pitched as Game of Thrones meets Germs, Guns and Steel.

AM: Congratulations on the sale of your novel, The Traitor Baru Cormorant, to Tor Books! What can you tell us about this new novel?

SD: I think the tagline my agent favors is Game of Thrones meets Guns, Germs, and Steel. This was the pitch I used to sell it, for those curious about the process:

Baru Cormorant will pay any price to liberate her world — even if it makes her a monster.

When the Empire of Masks conquers her island home and murders one of her fathers, Baru makes a vow: I will never be powerless again. She’ll swallow her hate, join the Empire’s civil service, and claw her way high enough to set her people free.

Suspicious of her loyalty, the Masquerade exiles her to an accountant’s post in distant Aurdwynn, a snakepit of informants and seditious dukes. Targeted for death by the uncomfortably intriguing rebel duchess Tain Hu, Baru fears a more intimate disaster — if her colleagues discover her homosexuality, she’ll be jailed and mutilated.

But Baru is a savant in games of power, ruthless enough to make herself sick. Armed with ink, lies, and one dubiously loyal secretary, she arranges a sweeping power play — a win–or–die double–cross gambit with empire as the prize. Survive it, and she’ll save her home…but the cost will be appalling. Her dream of liberation might make her a tyrant. And if she’s so very clever — why was she fool enough to fall in love?

http://www.apex-magazine.com/interview-with-seth-dickinson/

Cold Iron by Stina Leicht (Saga Press)

Pub. date: June 23, 2015

Fraternal twins Nels and Suvi move beyond their royal heritage and into military and magical dominion in this flintlock epic fantasy debut from a two-time Campbell Award finalist.

Prince Nels is the scholarly runt of the ancient Kainen royal family of Eledore, disregarded as flawed by the king and many others. Only Suvi, his fraternal twin sister, supports him. When Nels is ambushed by an Acrasian scouting party, he does the forbidden for a member of the ruling family: He picks up a fallen sword and defends himself.

Disowned and dismissed to the military, Nels establishes himself as a leader as Eledore begins to shatter under the attack of the Acrasians, who the Kainen had previously dismissed as barbarians. But Nels knows differently, and with the aid of Suvi, who has allied with pirates, he mounts a military offensive with sword, canon, and what little magic is left in the world.

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Iron-Stina-Leicht/dp/1481442554/

I'm going to add this even though I'm probably the only Rick Riordan fan on the board:

The Sword of Summer (Book 1 and the Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard), scheduled to be released Oct 2015

His Percy Jackson books are about demigod children of Greek and Roman gods. His Kane Chronicles series is about demigod children of Egyptian gods. In kind, this upcoming series will be about demigod children of Norse gods.

Alastair Reynolds's 3rd book in the Poseidons Children series has a title & blurb:

Poseidon's Wake by Alastair Reynolds

This novel is a stand-alone story which takes two extraordinary characters and follows them as they, independently, begin to unravel some of the greatest mysteries of our universe.

Their missions are dangerous, and they are all venturing into the unknown ... and if they can uncover the secret to faster-than-light travel then new worlds will be at our fingertips.

But innovation and progress are not always embraced by everyone. There is a saboteur at work. Different factions disagree about the best way to move forward. And the mysterious Watchkeepers are ever-present.

Completing the informal trilogy which began with BLUE REMEMBERED EARTH and ON THE STEEL BREEZE, this is a powerful and effective story.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Poseidons-Wake-Children-3/dp/0575090499/

THE GOSPEL OF LOKI by Joanne M. Harris to be published in the US:

Saga Press announced that it will publish The Gospel of Loki by Joanne M. Harris, author of Chocolat. The Gospel of Loki was a bestseller in the UK and will be published in the US on May 5, 2015.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwbooks/article/Joanne-M-Harris-to-Release-First-Fantasy-Novel-THE-GOSPEL-OF-LOKI-May-2015-20141125

I figured this is probably the best place to ask the following question:

Are there any speculative fiction novels coming out in 2015 that are either debuts, stand-alone novels, or the first books in a series (read: not a sequel) that is highly anticipated or generating a lot of buzz that I should be aware of that is not one of the following books on the list below?

The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi

Armada by Ernest Cline

Normal by Warren Ellis

The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro

The Wolf in the Attic by Paul Kearney

The Whispering Swarm by Michael Moorcock

Knight: A Tale form the High Kingdom by Peter Pevel

The High Castle by John Scalzi

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson

The Mechanical by Ian Tregillis

Please let me know if I haven not heard of something I should know about. Thanks! Much appreciated.

Unless I'm misinformed in a big way there is no way John Scalzi will be releasing a book called The High Castle next year. The High Castle was supposed to be a sequel to his novel The Android's Dream, but -- according to Scalzi on his blog a while back -- it wasn't working and he shelved it indefinitely, perhaps -- though not certainly -- forever. Scalzi's novel in 2015 will instead be The End of All Things, a sequel and conclusion to the story begun in The Human Division.

Some more stuff that's not in the middle of a series and has or is likely to get some anticipation:

The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu: Liu is an acclaimed short story writer and this is his debut novel, the first book in an epic fantasy series. Expectations seem to be quite high.

Uprooted by Naomi Novik: This is not part of Novik's long-running Temeraire series, the final volume of which is still pending. Instead, Uprooted is a standalone / first in a series [it looks like a standalone but you can never quite tell] mythic fantasy / dark fairy tale. Big hype in terms of blurbs from other authors.

Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente: This is Valente's first science fiction novel; her previous work has been fantasy. Delayed from this year. Also Valente's first novel for adults in several years.

The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black: Black's new standalone young adult novel taking a more hard-nosed look at a well-used supernatural force -- her last book, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, which was a no nonsense ya take on vampires, was quite popular [and very good.]

Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear: Bear's new novel after her really excellent Eternal Sky epic fantasy trilogy. This one is a standalone steampunk book. Some quite positive reader reactions and trade reviews already.

The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin: Post apocalyptic epic fantasy. First in a trilogy, delayed from this year. Jemisin has quite a few fans.

The Affinities by Robert Charles Wilson: New sociological near future sf standalone by the author who wrote Spin, and whose new work will thus be anticipated forevermore.

Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson: Major sf author Kim Stanley Robinson's new standalone set in the future, about a generation ship or the population of a new world I think.

Dreams of Shreds and Tatters by Amanda Downum: Dark fantasy that apparently has something to do with the Yellow King mythos that a lot of people who watched True Detective earlier this year got obsessed with. Standalone I think. Author's previous work didn't sell great but is much loved by a small contingent who are probably stoked to see her get another shot.

Crooked by Austin Grossman: Appears to be alternate history about Richard Nixon's interactions with horrific Lovecraftian beings, will hopefully be as crazy as that sounds. Grossman [author of superhero novel Soon I Will Be Invinsible and deconstruction / guarded celebration of videogames You] is well-liked.

Company Town by Madeline Ashby: Standalone sf by the author of the crazy messed up robot coming-of-age novel VN. Positive notices from other authors and the publisher, Angry Robot, is using it as one of their big relaunch books in March.

Twelve Kings in Sharakai by Bradley P. Beaulieu: Start of a new epic fantasy series set in a desert city by the author of The Winds of Kalakovo, which was quite well-liked a couple years back.

A Crown for Cold Silver by Alex Marshall: New epic fantasy following a once-villain. Author is apparently a pseudonym. Not sure whether it's the start of a series or a standalone. I mention it here because the publisher, Orbit, shows signs that they're planning to try and make it a big thing.

Cold Iron by Stina Leicht: Start of a flintlock epic fantasy series. Author's previous work has been much appreciated, so I'd say there's anticipation for this on that basis.

The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickenson: Described, intriguingly, as geopolitical fantasy. Apparently coming toward the end of the year, so too far away to tell, but is already getting whispers of notice from other authors. Could very possibly be a thing.

The Glorious Angels by Justina Robson: New sf novel, standalone I believe. Robson is one of the UK's major science fiction writers so this is a big deal. No word on a US release so far I don't think.

The Wolf Border by Sarah Hall: New speculative literary novel by the author of The Carhullan Army.

Are there any speculative fiction novels coming out in 2015 that are either debuts, stand-alone novels, or the first books in a series (read: not a sequel) that is highly anticipated or generating a lot of buzz that I should be aware of that is not one of the following books on the list below?

Besides those mentioned by Maester Llama, there are two new epic fantasy trilogies which have their first book coming in 2015: The Black Wolves by Kate Elliott (coming in February), is set in the same world as her popular Crossroads series; When the Heavens Fall by Marc Turner (scheduled for May) has a cover blurb from Brian Staveley.

From Maester Llama's list I'll second Grace of Kings, Radiance, Aurora, and Cold Iron.

Some more:

Victor Milan has a new book come out next year called The Dinosaur Lords. It's been described as A Game of Thrones with dinosaurs. GRRM himself has been pimping this a lot already as Milan is a close friend of his.

K.J. Parker has a lot of fans around here and I've heard of at least two books the author has coming out: Savages, possibly from a limited edition press, and an epic fantasy series from Orbit called The Invincible Sun. Haven't heard much other than titles and basic info so no idea if they'll actually be out in 2015, but I'll be looking for them.

Another author who has a lot of fans here is Leigh Bardugo. The first book of her new series is tentatively titled Six of Crows and is set in the same world as her Grisha trilogy. The series seems to have a strong Lies of Locke Lamora/The Italian Job vibe to it, or that's my impression anyway.

Nice catch on Elliott's The Black Wolves; I completely forgot to add it. Unless my search-fu is weak, the listing on amazon US for February is only showing the kindle version. This seems to happen occasionally when a book has been announced and had records created for a certain date but then gets pushed back and Amazon doesn't have their shit together. Amazon UK is showing the book in October in both kindle and paperback. If it was actually coming out in February I think we'd know for sure by now -- stuff on the author's blog etc -- and I think there'd be a page for the paperback on Amazon US. So I think it's for the fall at this point. Hopefully October works out. Elliott also has a young adult secondary world fantasy called Court of Fives coming out next year, in August I think.

A couple more I forgot:

Harrison Squared by Daryl Gregory: A teenager meets Lovecraftian monstrosities, does not enjoy himself. Gregory's profile seems to be on the rise a little bit -- which would be an excellent thing, he writes the good shit.

The Just City by Jo Walton: Apparently this is about an institution where great minds from all throughout time are brought by Athena to study and think cool thoughts. First book in a series. Second book, The Philosopher Kings, also out next year.

Archived