Arya Surprise?

John Suburbs

I've seen this idea posted on some of the Most Crack-Potted Theories threads, but I got to thinking about it and maybe it's not completely crazy, only slightly crazy:

Arya is a boy.

I have no evidence of any kind, other than Arya's tomboyish personality and the fact that she passed as a boy from LK to HH.

But there is a medical condition known as Ambiguous Genitalia that can sometimes make boy parts like and work like girl parts.

The question is, would GRRM really pull a trick like that at the 11th hour?

I've seen this idea posted on some of the Most Crack-Potted Theories threads, but I got to thinking about it and maybe it's not completely crazy, only slightly crazy:

Arya is a boy.

I have no evidence of any kind, other than Arya's tomboyish personality and the fact that she passed as a boy from LK to HH.

But there is a medical condition known as Ambiguous Genitalia that can sometimes make boy parts like and work like girl parts.

No. Also consider that Martin is trying to be true to medieval standards. If that were the case, they would have no idea what it is, and in those cases the children would likely be slaughtered or sent away to a monastery and removed from the hierarchy of heirs. Disfigurements were not welcomed for several reasons. So in a Westerosi world, she would have been sent to the wall. Ned and his honor, however, might not have done this.

But no, Ayra is just a tough little shit, and all female.

No because it would be completely impossible, or no because it would be highly unlikely?

No because it would be completely stupid to introduce this syndrome into a story that doesn't suit it and would completely distract from Arya's character.

People are very weird when it comes to Arya's sexuality, whether it's calling her asexual, homosexual or now having male genitals. She's a mentally traumatised child on the way to becoming a face-changing assassin. I don't think her sexuality is important.

Arya is a boy.

Wow

For the record, because I don't want this being unclear, I have adopted the practice of making comic sans into sarcasm.

But guys. She's obsessed with learning how to use a "sword," and getting a "sword." She also knows how to use her "sword" and "stick" them with the pointy end. Since she's coming on puberty and thinking about "swords," she is clearly a boy!!!

If you are for this theory, please copy the above, remove the comic sans, and enjoy.

*flashbacks to psychology*

"....swollen labia that resembles a penis....." (yes. This was actually in the textbook. It got a giggle from a class of 17/18 years olds, especially as the teacher couldn't control her own laughter)

Such individuals are inter-sex, but would still be identified as female at birth and for basically the rest of their lives.

ETA: In summary, Arya is a girl.

Archived