Any happy marriages that end happily in Asoiaf?

BrienneofQarth

It seems to me that most of the marriages in Asoiaf are either unhappy, or if they are happy, they don't tend to end happily...

In fact, I can't really think of a happy marriage that ended in a happy (e.g ending in death in old age for both parties) way in the books?

Can anyone think of one? One, please....? And just why does Asoiaf contain so few happy couples? What does this representation of matrimony mean?

I think you have to consider it in a medieval context where marriage was a political-social tool for advancement. This is no different for westeros, although I do have a feeling we will have at least one marriage by series end that will fit the classic romantic model, a mix of Arthurian/CL lit. Sansa, I believe, will somehow rid herself of Tyrion and in the process find the one "gallant" knight. Not quite in the same way as one might expect, but if it happens I see it happening with her. My guess is that Gendry is the man. Just a hunch though.

Well enough, I suppose, though Davos does admit to cheating on her, so it's not all roses there, either.

It also seems as though he hasn't seen her or his youngest sons since the start of Clash.

It also seems as though he hasn't seen her or his youngest sons since the start of Clash.

He hasn't. But he spends a lot of time wishing he could. Davos considers her the person he loves most when he thinks about Marya being his Nissa Nissa.

Aye, but being away from your family for years on end is probably not that special when you've risen as high as Davos has (Hand of the King by then). Ned went to King's Landing, probably expecting it to be years (or at least many months) between seeing his family, too. Hence my calling it "well enough" (on the Westerosi scale), but it's not happily-ever-after material. But then that really wouldn't fit ASOIAF in any case.

Aye, but being away from your family for years on end is probably not that special when you've risen as high as Davos has (Hand of the King by then). Ned went to King's Landing, probably expecting it to be years (or at least many months) between seeing his family, too. Hence my calling it "well enough" (on the Westerosi scale), but it's not happily-ever-after material. But then that really wouldn't fit ASOIAF in any case.

Yeah, that was the point I was (not very clearly) driving at

Archived