Aegon's third son

Wmarshal

I think this is a really good question. I honestly have no answers or even theories. But I think it's very odd that GRRM spends a lot of time fleshing out family members of the Targs (and non-Targs, just look at all the people he came up with for the Frey family tree) but we have zero idea what happened to Aegon's last child.

The fact that it's a mystery leads me to surmise that something happened that is significant to the overall plot at that the story might be told in a Dunk and Egg tale. I don't think the child perished at Summerhall since he's never mentioned among the dead.

Interested to read what others think!

I don't think the child perished at Summerhall since he's never mentioned among the dead.

I don't think he died at Summerhall either, but for the record nobody is ever mentioned among the dead. The books are very vague about Summerhall, unless I'm mistaken we're never given even a partial list of people who died there.

I don't think he died at Summerhall either, but for the record nobody is ever mentioned among the dead. The books are very vague about Summerhall, unless I'm mistaken we're never given even a partial list of people who died there.

just did a quick check, you're right not in the books. The information we have about who did die at Summerhall comes from AWOIAF. http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Tragedy_at_Summerhall (first footnote)

We are told that all of Aegon V's children married for love and that this created problems. My guess, based on absolutely nothing, is that Aegon's third son married a Lyseni woman and moved to that city.

You know, actually I do have two reasons that I think this. The first is that Aerys sent both Steffon and Tywin to Essos to look for Rhaegar's bride. I think Aerys was hoping to find a cousin to marry Rhaegar. The second reason I think it was Lys is because that is where Varys is from and I believe that if Varys is anyone, he is a Targaryen (although I don't think he needs to be anyone in particular). If Varys is the son of Aegon's third son, this would mean that Aerys and Varys were first cousins. Rhaegar and Varys would be first cousins once removed and Varys and Aegon would be first cousins twice removed.

We are told that all of Aegon V's children married for love and that this created problems. My guess, based on absolutely nothing, is that Aegon's third son married a Lyseni woman and moved to that city.

You know, actually I do have two reasons that I think this. The first is that Aerys sent both Steffon and Tywin to Essos to look for Rhaegar's bride. I think Aerys was hoping to find a cousin to marry Rhaegar. The second reason I think it was Lys is because that is where Varys is from and I believe that if Varys is anyone, he is a Targaryen (although I don't think he needs to be anyone in particular). If Varys is the son of Aegon's third son, this would mean that Aerys and Varys were first cousins. Rhaegar and Varys would be first cousins once removed and Varys and Aegon would be first cousins twice removed.

I was thinking Varys is decended from Brightflame, but this works too.

He may have died early due to sickness or shortly after birth.

Hoster's two first born sons (or was it one?) aren't mentioned by name either.

It's just unnecessary work for Martin to give him a name in that case.

He might have but the Targaryen's have a habit of naming their children common Targaryen names. It wouldn't be too much work to name him Aegon (for example) and just say that he died. Just being "unknown" is strange, especially a son from a Prince/King that we're getting to know from Dunk and Egg. And a son from a prince/King that factors into the main storyline in a lot of ways: Summerhall, trying to bring back dragons, Rhaegar's birth, Bloodraven

just did a quick check, you're right not in the books. The information we have about who did die at Summerhall comes from AWOIAF. http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Tragedy_at_Summerhall (first footnote)

To avoid confusion, this AWOIAF is the app, not the book (which has the wiki abbreviation TWOIAF).

I think Aegons third son simply died.. either after he had children, or before. If he had children, those children would have been dead before Roberts Rebellion as well. Otherwise, there would be a claim much stronger than Roberts, and we see no such in existence.

Hoster had three sons who died in the cradle, and non of them have a name mentioned.

That said, Barristan stated that "Aegon V's three sons married for love", showing us that this third son did in fact live long enough to be of an age to get married.

yeah, it's like he completely disappeared

he wasn't listed among the dead in summerhall, but doesn't seem to be around during RR or even the events before that. Otherwise he or his descendants might have ended up on the throne instead of Robert.

It's like after Jaehaerys II died the only targs in existance were Aerys, Rhaella and Rhaegar

We only know that Aegon V, Prince Duncan, Jenny (not explicitly mentioned, but very heavily implied), and Ser Duncan the Tall died at Summerhall.

But there were more deaths. We don't know if Duncan and Jenny had any children, but if this was the case, a good guess would be that they all died at Summerhall with the parents, considering that there were no Targaryens left to marry Rhaegar (Duncan could not ascend the Iron Throne because of his marriage to Jenny, but this doesn't mean that a daughter of Duncan/Jenny could not have married Rhaegar).

Either the Mystery Prince died before Summerhall, or he (and his children, if he had any) died with him there. It really seems that the Targaryen family tree did only consist of the Jaehaerys-Aerys-Rhaella-Rhaegar branch and of the Rhaelle-Steffon-branch. All the other branches - Duncan, the Mystery Prince, and possibly Aerion's infant son - had been cut by then (or were cut at Summerhall).

We don't even know if any children and grandchildren of Daella/Rhae survived until this point.

Archived