Sam vs the mountian

Jeo

Sam, because his cowardice wouldn't matter in the event of an attack on your castle. You could just plump him up with pillows and put a helmet on his head, then jam him in the doorway. On account of his big belly, he would block off a lot of possible attack.

Gregor is good for combat. Also, nothing else. Always winning in single combat is not a required trait for a ruler. Even in war it's not actually useful, as one person in a whole army is still negligible, no matter how good they are at fighting.

The answer should be obvious.

Gregor at first, because if I named someone not my immediate son everyone would lose their minds.

Then I'd have him killed somehow.

Then Sam would be heir!

Also, Mace the Mountain? Is this a character I've somehow missed? xP

Add commas and the OP post makes a lot more sense.

I would have Gregor murdered by 'accident' if I can. Whether he is my son, nephew, knight, etc, I can kill him, I would. If Sam is unsuitable as an heir I would have an other and disinherit him but someone like Gregor is seriously bad news. But I think Sam can become a good leader with guidance and any son of mine deserves some appreciation. Well unless they are Gregor because such scum is a grave threat to me, other siblings, inoccents and anything that is decent.

Kinslaying is ok if we are talking about Euron, Ramsay or Gregor, would save everyone a lot of pain and needless abuse. Indeed considering who they are they probably would have already killed or abused a sibling giving the actual justification and reason for any family head to act against them.

Gregor is good for combat. Also, nothing else. Always winning in single combat is not a required trait for a ruler. Even in war it's not actually useful, as one person in a whole army is still negligible, no matter how good they are at fighting.

The answer should be obvious.

Well, neither Gregor nor Sam would be a good heir to a great House, but both of them would be a great second son, if I am the Lord of a great House, I could use Sam as an advisor and have Gregor commands my calvary, that would be perfect

I'd wait for Gregor to commit some heinous crime, go to the King and ask him to do justice because i can't due to the kinslaying issue. I'll have witnesses and evidence, so he can't demand a trial by battle, and Ser Illyn does something good for a change.

Sam isn't a lost cause, i think. If i'd try to educate him on politics and other important things as opposed to Tarly's insistence to make him a warrior, he'll turn out fine and he isn't all that naive when it comes to political scheming, he got Jon elected LC in a brilliant way, for example. He has the brains to be a good heir and all he needs to do is drop his cowardly act. With lots of loyal guards to protect him and a strong, supportive (think Cat-esque) wife, he'll quickly mature and gain some self-confidence.

In my opinion, he's not far removed from Edmure (who was treated well which probably makes a huge difference) and they'd both be good lords during peace and need some veteran guidance during war but can still hold their own most of the time. We've met lots of horribly incompetent lords far worse than Sam/Edmure and they still somehow stayed alive and kept their lands. It's not that easy to lose your lordship unless you rebell or your family dies out.

If Gregor were my son, I'd send him on a hopeless military adventure or orchestrate an "accident" the first chance I got. Having him as kin is extremely dangerous to your health. Having him as an heir would be suicidal.

Why? Gregor was very useful in battlefield, and he could be handy when you do not want to have your hands dirty. Besides Gregor was loyal to his Lord, and I can not recall he committed anywanton crime without order

Why? Gregor was very useful in battlefield, and he could be handy when you do not want to have your hands dirty. Besides Gregor was loyal to his Lord, and I can not recall he committed anywanton crime without order

But the question is specifically about him being your "son" and "heir." When he was heir to the Clegane lands and gold, what exactly happened to his parents?

But the question is specifically about him being your "son" and "heir." When he was heir to the Clegane lands and gold, what exactly happened to his parents?

I already said Gregor would be a terrible heir, he could be an excellent second son though

I already said Gregor would be a terrible heir, he could be an excellent second son though

I don't know. I'd be worried about my first son! He's also just so unpredictable. If the Hound hadn't stopped him, he would have killed Loras and created bad blood between his leige and Mace. And for what? A silly tourney trick!

Eventually he would almost certainly kill the wrong person.

A sociopath with mental issues, a drug addiction, and too much anger might be a useful son. He's not exactly an excellent son. If we're using his known actions as a guideline for what he'd do as a 2nd son, there is pretty much nothing stopping him from murdering you and your heir to get what he wants and I would expect it.

Gregor did have one good quality, he was loyal to his Lord till the very end. I would not say he is a sociopath, he is more like a blood thirsty wild animal, he was no Ramsay, and he respects the authority of his superior, he was always under Tywin's control, and only causes mayhem when unleashed by his Lord.

Never say he would receive the reward of son of the year, if his father or his elder brother is not strong enough to control him, then it is their own fault and the House would be doom anyway with or without him as the second son.

Archived